Covid Bar Scene

Jaymatheson

What are the current rules in Phuket? 

Last I heard only restaurants can serve alcohol - however, the bars circumvent this by pretending to be restaurants because they can order in a takeaway for you.

Everything open? 

Mostly.

Restricted hours? 

They <<should>> stop serving at 11pm.

Anything open late that technically shouldn't be?

Of course - this is Thailand!

I was on Bangla last night and when I left at 1 AM many of the places (including Red Hot and New York music bars for example) were still open, busy, and serving alcohol. There were lots of people in the Soi at that time of night. 

Restaurants only? Bars don't even pretend to be restaurants any longer. 

• Like 1

I came home two weeks ago and it seems to have become more relaxed since then.

Although closing time was supposedly 11pm, the bars on Bangla basically carried on until the police cruised along - back in October/November that would be an impressive cavalcade of at least a dozen traffic cops on their Nmaxs but by February it was down to one or two tourist police patrol cars which would cruise along at some time between 11:00 and 11:30 - at that point all of the shop bars would "close" (many would carry on behind the shutters) but the music venues such as Red Hot and New York mentioned above would simply carry on as before. Very confusing!

Most bars only ever pretended to be restaurants to the extent that they would have a menu behind the bar from a nearby eatery - Blue Lotus bar and the food soi at the eastern end of Bangla used to supply takeaways to the entire road.