Visa for farang wife - husband on retirement extension

If you can afford it, consider a Thailand Elite visa.

In theory, a Non O to visit your non Thai husband ought to be possible, followed by one-year extensions of stay to be with him. Your best chance of getting this visa will be from home country.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

She would not need to show financial proof to apply for a extension based upon being a family member of a person on a extension of stay.

The problem at this time is getting the required non-o visa required to apply for it. Immigration will not issue one for her and since covid 19 started the majority of embassies and official consulates will not issue one on that basis.

Thanks Joe.  Appreciate your advice.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you can afford it, consider a Thailand Elite visa.

In theory, a Non O to visit your non Thai husband ought to be possible, followed by one-year extensions of stay to be with him. Your best chance of getting this visa will be from home country.

Unfortunately I can't at the moment.  

Her home country is Russia so that is a non starter lol.

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Unfortunately I can't at the moment.  

Wishing you the best of luck in wading through all of the paperwork to make it work.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe.  Appreciate your advice.

I have read some posts about an agent being able arrange the non-o visa for a family member at immigration. Perhaps that is an option.

What is her current visa status here?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read some posts about an agent being able arrange the non-o visa for a family member at immigration. Perhaps that is an option.

If on a tourist visa, would this option of switching to the non-o at immigration be possible for the wife?

1 hour ago, hapark said:

If on a tourist visa, would this option of switching to the non-o at immigration be possible for the wife?

Having a tourist visa entry is one of the requirements to apply for the non-o visa.

But a non-o visa for being a family member of a person on a retirement extension is not listed as one that can be done.

That is why a agent may be able to arrange it.

On 3/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

She has a Non B that is about to expire.  Getting married isn't really an option at the moment, but I wanted to see if we should consider doing that sooner than we have planned.  

11 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

She has a Non B that is about to expire.  Getting married isn't really an option at the moment, but I wanted to see if we should consider doing that sooner than we have planned.  

I assume she is not on a 90 day entry that non-b visa allows. I think she probably has one year extension based upon

working or teaching.

If you got married she could apply for a extension for being a member of your family on the day her current extension is canceled on the date on a termination letter from her employer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume she is not on a 90 day entry that non-b visa allows. I think she probably has one year extension based upon

working or teaching.

If you got married she could apply for a extension for being a member of your family on the day her current extension is canceled on the date on a termination letter from her employer.

Just to clarify,a husband and wife who would like an exstension of stay based on retirement

do they need 800 000 baht in the bank each?I was assuming as a family you only needed

800 000 but i am getting mixed signals from some friends.They told me now they need to show the amount each.Has this maybe something to do with different imm offices?

59 minutes ago, jvs said:

Just to clarify,a husband and wife who would like an exstension of stay based on retirement

do they need 800 000 baht in the bank each?I was assuming as a family you only needed

800 000 but i am getting mixed signals from some friends.They told me now they need to show the amount each.Has this maybe something to do with different imm offices?

Either the husband or wife can apply for the one year extension based upon retirement and then the other one can apply for a one year extension for being a member of the their family without any financial proof.

On the one applying for the extension based upon retirement has to show financial proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Either the husband or wife can apply for the one year extension based upon retirement and then the other one can apply for a one year extension for being a member of the their family without any financial proof.

On the one applying for the extension based upon retirement has to show financial proof.

They used an agent and i think they both applied for a extension based on retirement.

The agent "forgot" to tell them only one person (if married) needed one so they could charge

double.

Live and learn.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, ubonjoe said:

Having a tourist visa entry is one of the requirements to apply for the non-o visa.

But a non-o visa for being a family member of a person on a retirement extension is not listed as one that can be done.

That is why a agent may be able to arrange it.

Thanks for this info.  As family dependent member is not on the list that be converted from tourist visa to non-O, not sure how it can be done.   Heard from friend who said his agent could not do, so wondering how and where can be done with agent? Any confirmed cases of anyone doing this recently in Chonburi?

23 hours ago, jvs said:

They used an agent and i think they both applied for a extension based on retirement.

The agent "forgot" to tell them only one person (if married) needed one so they could charge

double.

Live and learn.

Wouldn't the agent cost still be based  on application for the two extensions of stay irrespective if applying separately or as a dependent?

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Wouldn't the agent cost still be based  on application for the two extensions of stay irrespective if applying separately or as a dependent?

I am not sure because they both needed to show 800 000 in the bank.

30 minutes ago, jvs said:

I am not sure because they both needed to show 800 000 in the bank.

What I meant was in either case there would be two extensions of stay so there was no overcharging.

Two separate extensions based on each having 800K in the bank.

Or extension of stay for one spouse with the other extension being the dependent but only 800K in the bank required. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

working or teaching.

Yes, you presume correctly.  Thanks again for all your help.  Very much appreciated.