Cataracts, advice and info needed

spider1197

Live in Isaan and since approx 1 or 2 years my eyesight has been decreasing.  After a couple of glass updates I finally went for a checkup with an Ophthalmologist.  Diagnosis: cataracts in both eyes.  Has anyone had this problem and could share your experience with corrective surgery and any other info about options for replacement lenses.  I will go back to Doctor in a couple of weeks and would like to have some info beforehand.  Thank you 

A friend had one most expensive new "multifocal"(?) lens plus Laser in Pattaya for 150k! The full "no more glasses" treatment.

That's about the most expensive ever heard/read about.

Another German guy from Udon Thani had one standard lens done at Khon Kaen RAM for 50k.

Both seem very satisfied with the results.

Don't hesitate. My friend's other eye is lost for the surgery.

He waited much too long.

Read in the forum that other/public hospitals can be much cheaper than 50k.

Edited by KhunBENQ

just have one done at a time and go for normal lenses, i had one of my eyes done and my vision was restored to what it had always been prior to the cataract, my wife had one done at mataphut government hospital, good job one night in hospital, i had mine done in UK, also secondary cataract 2 years later so no help there.

some say have one done normal and the other corrected, brain gets used to it they say, 

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

WHAT????

ght the same as you, 2nd hand info is always suspect, surely a cataract is just a cloudy lens once the lens is  removed it is no more, maybe a detached retina

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

?

It's not feasible/does not make sense to do surgery on the other eye.

That's what he told me.

YIKES.....I know cataracts have started in my eyes.

I asked the optician when will I know I need an operation?.......She said when I cannot see properly even with glasses.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A friend had one most expensive new "multifocal"(?) lens plus Laser in Pattaya for 150k! The full "no more glasses" treatment.

That's about the most expensive ever heard/read about.

Another German guy from Udon Thani had one standard lens done at Khon Kaen RAM for 50k.

Both seem very satisfied with the results.

Don't hesitate. My friend's other eye is lost for the surgery.

He waited much too long.

Read in the forum that other/public hospitals can be much cheaper than 50k.

I believe that this is what I got, but for only one eye. Corrected myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia. When I discussed the options, the doctor at Bangkok hospital showed me the cost breakdown, and the better lens by itself was at 24,000 or 27,000 bahts.

But total cost in Phuket was 115,000 bahts or so.

Happy with the results.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I asked the optician when will I know I need an operation?.......She said when I cannot see properly even with glasses.

My friend didn't give up until an optician told him that it is simply impossible to determine lenses for him.

I can not swear that he told me the whole truth about the other eye.

Best see an ophthalmologist (eye doctor).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

YIKES.....I know cataracts have started in my eyes.

A very good eye doctor, not optician, told me that I could get it done now or wait until I had to change my prescription frequently.  There is no need to wait until you can not see properly with glasses and many good reasons to do it before that happens.

You really should be talking with an eye doctor not an optician.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, spider1197 said:

Thanks for all the info and links to info.  I was wondering if I should only have one done at a time and it seems that is the best way to go.  

Indeed you should wait a few weeks just in case of complications (that said this is in general a very safe procedure).  As said above you only need if you are not comfortable with best glasses or unable to drive at night and need to do so (lights causing haze).  Basic lens is what most people have and all that insurance will normally pay for.  This may mean have to use reading glasses (at 100 baht or so in supermarket).

A few years back I suspected I had cataracts (hard to drive at night) and went to a optician here in Pattaya to renew my glasses and asked specifically if I had cataracts, he said No.  A few months later I flew back to the US and went to an ophthalmologist and he said I had cataracts and the worse he's seen in a while.

Long story short, surgery with monofocal lenses and use reading glasses for small print. Minimal cost thanks to being a military veteran/retiree.

The term lenses have been used by responders to this topic.  A question:  Are these Lenses corrective lenses and how will they measure my need for correction.  

Sorry I could not find any Health forum.  Maybe overlooked it.

5 minutes ago, spider1197 said:

The term lenses have been used by responders to this topic.  A question:  Are these Lenses corrective lenses and how will they measure my need for correction.  

Sorry I could not find any Health forum.  Maybe overlooked it.

Yes, they are corrective lenses.  When I was examined by my cataract surgeon, I had to look into some device with various flashing lights (and maybe letters/numbers) and as my eyes automatically focused, the device recorded my vision strength and they knew what lens to insert.  My surgeon said my vision is not guaranteed to be 20/20, but it will be close and he was right, I no longer need glasses for distance, I only need glasses for reading small lettering, but if you get multifocal lenses it's like they are inserting bifocals and no need for reading glasses.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bbko said:

A few years back I suspected I had cataracts (hard to drive at night) and went to a optician here in Pattaya to renew my glasses and asked specifically if I had cataracts, he said No.  A few months later I flew back to the US and went to an ophthalmologist and he said I had cataracts and the worse he's seen in a while.

Long story short, surgery with monofocal lenses and use reading glasses for small print. Minimal cost thanks to being a military veteran/retiree.

Ophthalmologists are available at any hospital in Thailand and indeed they are who you want to visit for eye issues.  Those selling glasses here often have no formal medical training.  Optometrists have only recently started to become common here and most stores do not have them.  An optician only fits glasses to your head.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 8:20 AM, lopburi3 said:

Indeed you should wait a few weeks just in case of complications (that said this is in general a very safe procedure).  As said above you only need if you are not comfortable with best glasses or unable to drive at night and need to do so (lights causing haze).  Basic lens is what most people have and all that insurance will normally pay for.  This may mean have to use reading glasses (at 100 baht or so in supermarket).

Actually best to wait until the vision in the first eye has fully stabilized. This will help guide decisions about the lens for the other eye.

Even with basic lens, monovision may be an option.