Visa on arrival

Hello,

If I was to arrive on the visa on arrival in Bkk, would it be possible to use an agent in Pattaya to be able to secure me a one years retirement visa ? I have done it a few years ago  but I accept times have changed. 

Please feel free to PM me.

Thank you in advance. 

Are you coming on visa exempt or visa on arrival? There is a difference. The main difference is the time limit. Better to come on tourist visa that gives you almost 3 three months (including extension) to get your house in order (to obtain a O visa). visa exempt will give you two months (including one month extension). Visa on arrival is 15-days only. Agents can assists you for a price if you don't put 800K Baht in the bank. Or else, you can do it yourself. Need more details for a better answer. 

34 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Are you coming on visa exempt or visa on arrival? There is a difference. The main difference is the time limit. Better to come on tourist visa that gives you almost 3 three months (including extension) to get your house in order (to obtain a O visa). visa exempt will give you two months (including one month extension). Visa on arrival is 15-days only. Agents can assists you for a price if you don't put 800K Baht in the bank. Or else, you can do it yourself. Need more details for a better answer. 

Thank you for the reply.

I would be travelling from the UK, so would get a 30 day visa on arrival,  but are you suggesting I'm better off applying for a tourist visa here in the UK prior to travel? Its just the Uk police report I possibly, could have a problem with ! Thank you once again.

4 minutes ago, Mickymocky said:

Thank you for the reply.

I would be travelling from the UK, so would get a 30 day visa on arrival,  but are you suggesting I'm better off applying for a tourist visa here in the UK prior to travel? Its just the Uk police report I possibly, could have a problem with ! Thank you once again.

I'm not 100% sure but I would imagine a police report problem would only be if one had unspent convictions...........

Friend did exactly what you are suggesting last December with no issues. He had an agent assist with filling out the documents, but he performed the extension on his own. If I remember correctly, he entered on the visa exempt, filed for a 30 day extension, then filed the retirement extension.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1

Enter 30 day visa exempt, 30 day extension easy to do yourself, then find an agent for 90 day Non O and 12 month extension. In Pattaya agent will run in the 26,000 thb range.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mickymocky said:

Thank you for the reply.

If coming from the UK, you receive a 30-day visa exempt entry (no visa is required). If necessary, you can extend the visa exempt entry one time only by an additional 30 days. After you enter visa exempt, an agent will be able to fix you up with a retirement visa followed by extension. Be ready for this to be substantially more expensive than just an extension. where you are already on a Non Immigrant entry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No need for an agent it you have the 800k baht in the bank.

Every time I try and open (last two times I was there on Visa Exempt) a bank account, the folks at the bank tell me I have to get the non-o visa first before I can open a bank account, I tell them I can't get the non-o visa until I have money in the bank.. and ... around I go.  I assume the only way around this (sans an agent doing something dodgy , I say dodgy because I am seemingly unable to do it myself if I follow the rules) is to get it in my home country, then open a bank account when I arrive and proceed from there

Edited by BumGun

11 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Every time I try and open (last two times I was there on Visa Exempt) a bank account, the folks at the bank tell me I have to get the non-o visa first before I can open a bank account, I tell them I can't get the non-o visa until I have money in the bank.. and ... around I go.  I assume the only way around this (sans an agent doing something dodgy , I say dodgy because I am seemingly unable to do it myself if I follow the rules) is to get it in my home country, then open a bank account when I arrive and proceed from there

Nothing dodgy at all about using agent to open bank account at all.

Siam Legal is just one agent that can assist. Many others also. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Every time I try and open (last two times I was there on Visa Exempt) an account they tell me I have to get the non-o visa first before I can open a bank account, I tell them I can't get the retirement visa until I have money in the bank.. and ... around I go.

It is frustrating. It is, indeed, usually challenging these days to open a bank account when on a tourist entry. The easy solution is to use an agent just to assist with opening the bank account. This is likely to cost 2,000-5,000 baht (the higher amount being if you need to buy an accident insurance policy from the bank as an inducement).

Opening an account without using an agent requires a lot of persistence and good technique. First, dress smartly, and be well groomed generally. Next, if at all possible, visit the bank with a respected Thai who already has an account at the bank. If you cannot speak Thai (and do not have a respected Thai who already has an account) visit the bank with another person who can act as an interpreter. Make sure you choose someone who also looks smart and well groomed. Ensure the bank is aware that you intend depositing a million baht within a couple of days of the account being opened, and plan to maintain a continuous balance of 800,000+ baht. Finally, if necessary, offer to buy a cheap accident insurance policy (for which the bank staff get a small commission) if they allow you to open the account. Throughout the process, it is important to talk in a friendly, smiling way, avoiding the typical Westerner entitled attitude. Good luck!

Edited by BritTim

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Opening an account without using an agent requires a lot of persistence and good technique

Have to disagree with on this one Tim.

Bangkok Bank (as just one eg) require a residence certificate or letter from your embassy.

That's if your embassy provides that. Oz for example do not.

If in Bangkok would have needed to have made a 90 day report.

Not possible on visa exempt. 

In my experience in recent times having Thai with you that has an account at that bank also accounts for little. 

I will stop there...anyone going down the enter with visa exempt to non O path sould 100% use an agent. 

Which you also did outline. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In my experience in recent times having Thai with you that has an account at that bank also accounts for little. 

It depends on the Thai and his position in the society. A university professor has higher position in the society than a substitute teacher than a bar girl. My friend opened an account and his professor vouched for it. 

7 minutes ago, Onerak said:

My friend opened an account and his professor vouched for it

What visa status did your friend have?

Where did he open an account and which bank?;

Did he buy insurance?

When did this occur?

Without any of that info your post means very little. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have to disagree with on this one Tim.

Bangkok Bank (as just one eg) require a residence certificate or letter from your embassy.

Certainly, using an agent is easiest. However, last year, I helped an American friend open an account at Bangkok Bank without a residence certificate. They agreed that a long term rental agreement was good enough. The simple fact is that the senior bank staff will often turn a blind eye to the listed requirements (sometimes to your benefit and sometimes to your disadvantage) when they feel like it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Certainly, using an agent is easiest. However, last year, I helped an American friend open an account at Bangkok Bank without a residence certificate. They agreed that a long term rental agreement was good enough. The simple fact is that the senior bank staff will often turn a blind eye to the listed requirements (sometimes to your benefit and sometimes to your disadvantage) when they feel like it.

Don't doubt you for one moment.

Here's my experience just for a laugh......

Two years back I wanted to open a new FD account with Bangkok Bank.

My passport has extensions over several years from non O and I have lease (same place 10 years)!

I went to big Bangkok Bank between Asoke and Nana BTS.

Eventually the manager came down.... Excellent English btw.

He wanted me to obtain a residence certificate or something from embassy. 

Here is the kicker......I had 600k in cash on me. 

No success.

To be fair next bank I tried Kasikorn, had no problem.

Most of these threads are folk needing bank account to obtain non O.

Use agent if on visa exempt or TV.

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, Mickymocky said:

Thank you for the reply.

You keep saying visa on arrival but this is not applicable to virtually any Western passports. What most (Inc. UK, USA, EU, AUS etc) get is 30 day visa exempt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

You keep saying visa on arrival but this is not applicable to virtually any Western passports. What most (Inc. UK, USA, EU, AUS etc) get is 30 day visa exempt. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

Yes. Visa on arival is only available to a few. Gives a stay of 15 days and costs money.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Yes. Visa on arival is only available to a few. Gives a stay of 15 days and costs money.

As already outline many times in thread. From op very early....

"I would be travelling from the UK, so would get a 30 day visa on arrival".

Clearly he means visa exempt 30 days.

Ta for input. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rott said:

Yes, please excuse me, I just get so bloody irritated by know nothings who've been coming here for years insisting they get a visa on arrival.

Almost as bad as those who won't be told that their retirement visa is in fact an extension of permission to stay based on Retirement.

I should change my nic to Mr Grumpy. 

Nothing to be excused for.

You are absolutely correct.

Terminology is so important when referring to visa issues.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As already outline many times in thread. From op very early....

"I would be travelling from the UK, so would get a 30 day visa on arrival".

Clearly he means visa exempt 30 days.

Ta for input. 

Congratulations on your upgrade to Moderator.

Ta for your very valuable input.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1