BOT Starts Issuing 20 Baht Polymer Banknote

webfact

screenshot_17217.jpg

BANGKOK, (TNA) – The Bank of Thailand (BOT) has launched the new 20 Baht polymer banknote.

The initiative to change from paper to polymer for 20 Baht banknotes is to improve the quality: cleaner and more durable. As the 20 Baht is the most widely used denomination, it is therefore prone to being more worn out and soiled than other denominations, said the BOT in its statement.

The advantage of polymer over paper is such that it does not absorb moisture and dirt. Therefore, polymer banknotes can last significant longer than paper banknotes.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-910108

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright TNA 2022-03-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

The 50 baht polymer note was introduced in 1997 and withdrawn from circulation in 2011.

The BOT don't produce the polymer 50 Baht now

I remember those - weren't they the ones with the " window" in them? I wonder why they stopped producing them?

Come to that, I often wonder why 50 Baht notes are comparatively rare?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

The disadvantage is that when people fold them the creases look so much more untidy.

Yeah, you wouldn't want your money to look untidy.

Never heard of such an absurd comment regarding banknotes or are you being sarcastic?

They have had polymer notes in Australia since 1992 and never heard anyone complain of the untidy creases

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Obviously.

Never heard of such an absurd comment regarding banknotes or are you being sarcastic?

Not sarcasm.  Don't worry, I'm sure you will come to terms with it.

They have had polymer notes in Australia since 1992 and never heard anyone complain of the untidy creases

????‍♂️

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I remember those - weren't they the ones with the " window" in them? I wonder why they stopped producing them?

Come to that, I often wonder why 50 Baht notes are comparatively rare?

They are more rarely used, it's said, but I always keep them, when I'm lucky to receive one, so I have a 50-baht note when I'm paying my not so rare water bills of 250 baht...????

2 hours ago, ozfarang said:

I also always try to keep my money tidy, also my cash...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer
  • Haha 1

Still printing the numerical value bottom right!
No thought has gone into the design of latest notes (for a few years now !!).
I have to put upside down in my wallet to see the value IN POOR LIGHT without withdrawing fully from the wallet.

I have one hundred 20-baht notes in my Pattaya condo. Should I go and change them to polymer when I am in Pattaya? I like to keep 20-baht notes in case I need change. Otherwise all my transactions are done through mobile app.  

On 3/26/2022 at 12:37 PM, Promsak said:

Still printing the numerical value bottom right!
No thought has gone into the design of latest notes (for a few years now !!).
I have to put upside down in my wallet to see the value IN POOR LIGHT without withdrawing fully from the wallet.

I just looked in my wallet. As ever, not much in it, but the notes have the denomination clearly printed, in Arabic numerals, in the top left quarter of the reverse side.

When the UK introduced the polymer notes a few years ago there was a <deleted> storm from vegans and animal rights protesters as the notes apparently contained animal product. Can't see Thais worrying too much so long as their pockets have plenty of notes.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/29/bank-of-england-urged-to-make-new-5-note-vegan-friendly

I hope they take note of the problem the UK gov't had when they first introduced polymer notes.

They apparently were made using some animal fats which didn't go down well with certain religious groups for their followers handling them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/10/bank-of-england-to-keep-animal-fat-in-banknotes-despite-complaints

Looks like soi3eddie and I posted at the same time. Cannot delete, but basically same info.

Edited by phetphet

If, like me, you do not use a wallet and just put cash in your pocket these polymer notes seem to have a habit of working their way out of your pocket. The Aussie ones can stick together and make counting tricky and you don't want that happening with $50 notes! I can see the advantages of polymer but I just don't like them.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:43 AM, Peterw42 said:

People dont realize, The 50 baht note has been polymer since the mid 90s

Yes the 50 has been polymer for some time. Mid 90s? Not sure about that though as the polymer note is an Australian invention 1st issued in 1988.