DLT "Learning" Centre - Online Test For Driving Licence Renewal. FAILURE!

Anyone managed to get this piece of useless garbage software to actually run? This is a 1 hour piece of junk video that you need to watch and then andswer a few questions to in order to get a slot to renew a Thai driving licence.

It is broken down into 4 parts of about 15 minutes each, in each part you need to answer a question and continue. At the end of each part, it will flag it as completed and store the result allowing you to log on later and complete the remaining sections.

You need to complete all 4 sections in order to make a booking.

Sadly, like most web related content put out by the Thais, it is a complete failure. There is a continuous problem with the server disconnecting (It is supposed to try to reconnect up to 8 times - but it doesn't, it just throws you out and you have to start the entire section again)

Up to now (after 2 days) I have only managed to complete section 1. Section 2 bombs out anywhere between 2 minutes and 14 minutes, forcing a complete restart of that section.

I have tried it on a PC using Edge and Chrome, same failure, I have ran it on an Android phone, same failure. This is getting ridiculous - is it possible the same person that wrote their immigration software is responsible for this farce?

Whoever wrote this junk should have their hands cut out so they can never touch a keyboard again, then burn out their eyes so they can never use a monitor again.

Any ideas on how to get around this? It is definately their server as I can run two versions simultaneously, one on PC and the other on Android and when it goes to hell, it goes on both devices at the same time.

Yes indeed Formaleins

I am getting the exact same and yeah there is a foreigners section and having the same messages.
My local office is Kanchanaburi and seriously thinking of going in there in person and have read of a Thai managing to pass etc and got an appointment and the foreign partner decided to go along but he could not.

Yes seriously thinking of going in personally in April  but yes in this crazy world even the simple things in life is such a headache. EVERYTHING and no such thing as personal contact and this true throughout the world.
My 5 year one runs out at the end of May and they want us to drive around without a license and we all know many of the Thais don't have.
SO LOL when pulled over by the police "We just say I have registered to tried to get a renewal" and they will just shrug their shoulders and say 500 Baht.
I normally have my Thai wife with me but even then one would probably get a fine.
amazing stuff and not just this issue.

Edited by jwest10
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jwest10 said:

Yes indeed Formaleins

I am getting the exact same and yeah there is a foreigners section and having the same messages.
My local office is Kanchanaburi and seriously thinking of going in there in person and have read of a Thai managing to pass etc and got an appointment and the foreign partner decided to go along but he could not.

Yes seriously thinking of going in personally in April  but yes in this crazy world even the simple things in life is such a headache. EVERYTHING and no such thing as personal contact and this true throughout the world.
My 5 year one runs out at the end of May and they want us to drive around without a license and we all know many of the Thais don't have.
SO LOL when pulled over by the police "We just say I have registered to tried to get a renewal" and they will just shrug their shoulders and say 500 Baht.
I normally have my Thai wife with me but even then one would probably get a fine.

I have had this issue for over a week and frankly I do not think it available to non thais but it appears we will have to go in personally to the DLT only tp be told you have toe register and pass the test thought think like in the good ole days can watch the video and test at their offices.

• Like 1

Just now, jwest10 said:

I have had this issue for over a week and frankly I do not think it available to non thais but it appears we will have to go in personally to the DLT only to probably be told you have to register and pass the test thought think like in the good ole days can watch the video and test at their offices.
Can't make this up.

18 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

I have had this issue for over a week and frankly I do not think it available to non thais but it appears we will have to go in personally to the DLT only tp be told you have toe register and pass the test thought think like in the good ole days can watch the video and test at their offices.

It used to be available to non Thais as long as you had the ID from the Yellow book. Besides, I managed to log on, with D.O.B and I.D (Yellow Book) and have already completed the first of the 4 sections, I just cannot get past the second section without it crashing. My son uses the Google Store App, but it will not work on my Android (a location problem not solved with or without VPN) - he uses Apple and it works for him. The App is not even listed on my version of play store.

I am thinking of taking a trip down to the local office too, took a few screenshots just to make a point.

26 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes indeed Formaleins

I don't have aproblem with paying plod if I have to, but the main problem is, all of your vehicle insurance becomes null and void if you have no licence! If you look into your insurance documents. there are two categories that will void your insurance - Drunk Driving and No Licence, not something you want to happen if you have a bump.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

Would that be fully comprehensive insurance or third party only ?

If you have a road disc the vehicle is insured with DTPL govt insurance. 

Many people ring the voluntarily insurance they have to inform them of the non renewal of Thai DL if they do not continue your cover cancell until you are able to get a Thai DL. 

I successfully did the online test but when I went in (Bangchak) they said it wasn't for foreigners and I couldn't use it. So I had to book a foreigner's slot a few months later. That was last year though so could be different now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I successfully did the online test but when I went in (Bangchak) they said it wasn't for foreigners and I couldn't use it. So I had to book a foreigner's slot a few months later. That was last year though so could be different now. 

Still all the sites can not get in and it seems we all have to go to DLT in my case Kanchanaburi.

I renewed my 5 year license about 3 months ago. At the time, there was no issue with the video server - I took a photo with my phone after completion and showed it to the woman when I booked a slot for the colour blindness / reaction test. I don’t have a yellow book or ID, just a license and a non-o visa.

It seems like a software glitch, why not just call your local office and explain the error. 

• Like 1

Hi Formaleins

Just an update and one of my Granddaughters who is much more proficient than me but she had to put in her email but managed to print a copy out and yes as you say I think a visit to my local DLT Kanchanaburi office to obtain my appointment date and not sure about the doctors fit to drive certificate and believe it has to be within one month and not too sure and did read it somwhere
I managed to do it via the passport number option after passing.
Thanks for your help but must make sure I do not lose this and perhaps take a couple of copies.
Best
John

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

I renewed my 5 year license about 3 months ago. At the time, there was no issue with the video server - I took a photo with my phone after completion and showed it to the woman when I booked a slot for the colour blindness / reaction test. I don’t have a yellow book or ID, just a license and a non-o visa.

It seems like a software glitch, why not just call your local office and explain the error. 

a doctors certificate as well and this a new requirement and believe within one month of appointment.
Thanks all for information and lol even the simple things are so difficult these days.

31 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

a doctors certificate as well and this a new requirement and believe within one month of appointment.
Thanks all for information and lol even the simple things are so difficult these days.

Yes, they now require a doctors certificate - this wasn't required in previous renewals, and maybe not at your local office.

We booked my color blindness / reaction test (remember there used to be a proximity test with two drinking straws, that's not done now, because of covid, something about touching the buttons) we were given a sheet that stated in English they required 2x copies of all documents including originals - I sent the wife back to confirm, she said, not only is it westerners, its everyone - when I got there on the day, one woman checked all the paperwork - gave us the nod, we went upstairs to the test room, the woman took the original Cert of Residence and the original doctors note, copies of my passport and handed the rest of the papers back to the wife. 

Yeah, agreed, when has Thailand ever been simple .. actually when the video thing works, its great - you sit there and watch at home, I got one question wrong 4x as I didnt read the questions, I still passed.

To book the test, took about 30 mins of unavoidable waiting - test was 2 days later, arrived at 8.00 AM as directed, and we were out the door by 8.45 with laminated card in hand. This is in Khon Kaen Office.