E SIM mobiles. Guidance requested please.

A basic mobile phone user looking for simple explanations and advice please. I need a new phone. Become aware there are such things as E SIM phones. Does this mean we can forget about obtaining, installing, activating, maintaining credit balances and performing chargeable 'events' to keep our various SIM cards active? The concept of single, double or triple SIM card slots becomes redundant? Bands and frequencies are now irrelevant? No such thing as roaming now? 

None of your assumptions/statements relate to an eSIM per se, other than the installation thing.

It's just a software SIM, enabled within your phone by your service provider, saving you the bother of finding a physical SIM and isntalling it. All other actions are the same.

Just make sure your new phone supports the eSIM from your provider(s).

19 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Does this mean we can forget about obtaining, installing, activating, maintaining credit balances and performing chargeable 'events' to keep our various SIM cards active?

No.

The concept of single, double or triple SIM card slots becomes redundant?

No.

Bands and frequencies are now irrelevant?

No.

No such thing as roaming now? 

No.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

None of your assumptions/statements relate to an eSIM per se, other than the installation thing.

It's just a software SIM, enabled within your phone by your service provider, saving you the bother of finding a physical SIM and isntalling it. All other actions are the same.

Just make sure your new phone supports the eSIM from your provider(s).

No.

No.

No.

No.

Many thanks for taking the trouble of clarifying. I was incorrectly thinking of 'bundled services' i.e. that connections/payments to mobile phone companies could all be handled through ESIM service providers who would negotiate special rates for their customers. Thanks to you I now understand that ESIM providers only enable you to connect to your existing companies without need of physical SIM cards.

The real advantage in e-sims really lies in the fact that you can install up to 5 e-sim profiles on your phone and as such have a number for personal, business and so on all in one chip and don't even need to be from the same provider.

So, a positive move forward. But google the types of androids first as not that many as yet support this esims.  Currently mostly iPhones and Samsung and few others

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

The real advantage in e-sims really lies in the fact that you can install up to 5 e-sim profiles on your phone and as such have a number for personal, business and so on all in one chip and don't even need to be from the same provider.

So, a positive move forward. But google the types of androids first as not that many as yet support this esims.  Currently mostly iPhones and Samsung and few others

Thanks! Some reading for me to do! On the subject of profiles (albeit virtual ones), I signed up with 'VYKE' the other day. Apparently, receiving SMS is the unreliable aspect of VOIP services. There are some positive and also very negative reviews about this company. However, I invested $15.99 USD to rent a virtual mobile number for 12 months from them. So far, it works perfectly. They offer virtual mobile numbers for Canada, France, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Poland and United States. You don't get to choose your number though, you get what you're given!

Yes, granted. The e-sim profile is sent to you via email and you then upload it via QR code to your s-sim profile.

Naturally, there is a risk that this email correspondence is intercepted on its way to you. Once received and uploaded you should of course delete that email from you inbox and your history too to minimize the risk. Remember too, that even if you delete the email make sure that it cont be reactivated from the deleted box via the recovery option

Sadly though, most means of correspondence have a an element of risk these days.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

AFIK on an iPhone you have to go to the carrier shop, I did with mine, you can only have 1 number on the e-sim, you can’t install or change the e-sim yourself.

Android phones are quite likely to be different.

Thanks for the tip. All info gratefully received!