Norwegian Man Commits Suicide

mcd

A 40 year old Norwegian man Mr Jan Havik apparently couldn’t face the idea of returning to the land of fjords and took his own life by hanging himself on Thursday morning in his rented condo in Jomtien.

The man had taken a lady back to his room from a beer bar the night before and she was asleep in the room at the time he decided to end his life. When she woke up she had the nasty experience of finding Mr Havik hanging in another room.

The Norwegian had apparently been coming to Thailand twice a year in recent times for two-month periods. Police are satisified there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

The Norwegian embassy has been informed. .

Pattaya City News http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_14_06_50_2.htm

You could write a book on this "Pattaya Suicide" fixation by farang bar-tourists.

Sad isn't it ?

I've been working in this wart-on-the-butt-of-the-world place for almost 3 years now. So completely different from Thailand, in almost every way.

Yet when my holidays are over and it's time to return to this place, my thoughts never turn to "ending it all". It really sucks getting on the plane (h3ll, just getting in the cab outside my building, saying good-bye to my friends, sucks bad enough). Last time I landed in Kandahar, as the plane was taxiing off the runaway I looked out the window and thought to myself "I left Thailand for this !?!?!"

But I know I'll be back soon enough, and the longer I put in here, the better it will be when I can finally settle down for good.

Obviously, different people have different reasons for ending their lives in such fashion. I feel sorry for the girl that woke up to that sight (and the others that have to deal with it afterwards).

It didn't mention a note etc ... so again the 'news' agency involved knows fukc all about what happened. The guy could have had inoperable brain cancer ..... or conversely just spent 1000 baht on the best sex he had ever had ... and concluded that it could not possibly get any better than that so why go on!

sadly the heterosexuals in the crowd will never know which is the answer :o

..... or conversely just spent 1000 baht on the best sex he had ever had ...

sadly the heterosexuals in the crowd will never know which is the answer :D

Or maybe he woke up to find out that "she" was really a "he" :o

..... or conversely just spent 1000 baht on the best sex he had ever had ...

sadly the heterosexuals in the crowd will never know which is the answer :D

Or maybe he woke up to find out that "she" was really a "he" :o

he was Norwegian and in Pattaya .... get real! That wouldn't have bothered him :D

I smell foul play, Why does it have to happen in Pattaya? well as the saying goes whenever you go to Pattaya, Ive heard it a million times already, "Welcome to hel_l"

Well, the closest I've seen to h3ll in Pattaya is Lucifers (appropriately enough) at 1am ! With the big guy himself at the door, the cave-like entrance to the disco, the sweltering cavern of the disco itself, the mass of undulating bodies swaying to the thundering noise of whatever rapper/band is playing at the moment, (oh yeah, and the prices). Yep, kinda like h3ll in there ! :o

But if that's as bad as it gets (in h3ll), I think I can handle it for an eternity or two ! :D

A 40 year old Norwegian man Mr Jan Havik apparently couldn't face the idea of returning to the land of fjords and took his own life by hanging himself on Thursday morning in his rented condo in Jomtien.

The man had taken a lady back to his room from a beer bar the night before and she was asleep in the room at the time he decided to end his life. When she woke up she had the nasty experience of finding Mr Havik hanging in another room.

The Norwegian had apparently been coming to Thailand twice a year in recent times for two-month periods. Police are satisified there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

The Norwegian embassy has been informed. .

Pattaya City News http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_14_06_50_2.htm

<deleted>, she must of been terrible in bed !

• 9 months later...

:o I knew Jan quite well (was best friends with his girlfriend) up until we were both in our twenties - then we all moved on as people do and lost touch. I was so shocked when I read this as he was the most unlikely of people to commit suicide. He was always so confident, good looking and sure of himself in his younger days - I just wonder what happened that was so bad he decided to do this. It is so sad. My best wishes go to his family who must be devastated. RIP Jan, Lynn and I will be thinking of you with fond memories of the good old days in Aberdeen x

What a way to be forever immortalized on the internet...just hanging there next to "Somchai" and then being bagged up and carried away, again by Somchai :o

I'd put my money on lack of funds...young guy spending that much time in LOS...he must not have been working much and likely spending what little he did make on the carefree life in Pattaya (for 2 months at a time :D ) . Likely one of the wheels fell off that financial contraption and he didn't want to go back to being just another ordinary working stiffy - in Norway of all places.

"Tag'em and Bag'em" as the saying goes...never a dull moment in Patters :D

Edited by jonniebkk