Nong khai.

Hi has anyone had experience with the nong khai border crossing to Laos, my visa expires on the 16th of April, with no chance of getting it extended, immigration officer suggested that I do a border crossing there, any thoughts. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem is entering Laos at this time. They require you to be a member of a tour group to enter the country.

On return you have to have a Thailand Pass and be fully vaccinated and get a negative covid 19 test after entering the country and staying at a SHAextra+ hotel for one night.

Thanks Joe, any other alternative border crossing without being in a tour group or flying maybe to Vietnam for instance, I have submitted Thai pass etc just waiting for the comfermation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tykes said:

, any other alternative border crossing without being in a tour group or flying maybe to Vietnam for instance

Vietnam is an option however Phnom Penh seems easy.

Here is a thread. 

• Like 1

As everyone mentioned cambodia is the best way. But make your plan before. If you will apply for tourist visa it takes 3 days to get it, if applied on monday will get your visa on wednesday. If any non-o type, 5 days. If you apply monday will get next monday. This info is confirmed by my emailing with the thai embassy there (also confirmed by my friend who is getting non-o since monday)

Also flight hours are not very good. You need to fly 1 day before application and 1 day later after get your visa. Im talking for airasia btw. I also checked other flights and almost same. 

This means you need to book your hotel for 8-9 days. That will be around 4000 - 6000 baht. 

I cannot remember tourist visa right now but non-b and non-o are 80 usd. For non-b if you apply on monday they will give you an appointment (whats this about i have no idea. My friend will go that appointment on friday, maybe he can give me nore info then) and then if all ok you will get your visa on monday (this is what my friend told me)

For cambodia all you need is to be fully vaccined, e-visa, hotel book papers. 

I cannot remember any other details right now.

Edited by problemfarang

21 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I keep hearing & reading this term " Fully Vaccinated " - Can someone please confirm what is the official line on this ?

It means you have had at least two doses of a approved vaccine.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Also flight hours are not very good.

Thai Smile 7:35 -> 8:50 if that helps.

Thai Vietjet 8:30 -> 9:40.

Bangkok Airways 8:15 -> 9:30.

All from BKK (Suvarnabhumi).

Just (Google) checked Monday.

(errors excepted)

Late returns might be the problem.

Only bloody expensive Bangkok Airways.

Edited by KhunBENQ
added remark about return flights
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thai Smile 7:35 -> 8:50 if that helps.

Thai Vietjet 8:30 -> 9:40.

Bangkok Airways 8:15 -> 9:30.

All from BKK (Suvarnabhumi).

Just (Google) checked Monday.

(errors excepted)

Late returns might be the problem.

Only bloody expensive Bangkok Airways.

thanks i already checked these.

The problem is visa application time in cambodia 9:00-11:00 i dont know how far the embassy is so i dont know if you can make it if you arrive 9:40 i wouldnt risk. im sure there will be many people. if you miss that will add you another day plus you need to change your coming back flight. Visa collection is 14:00-15:00 there are no flights back after 15:00 all flights are 13:00 or 13:30 there is only one 17:45 but that will ad you another 2 nights in cambodia its only 1 day in a week that time if i remember correct.

thai smile looks better but then you need to find another flight to get back because their thailand is again 13:00 or 13:30 if i remember correct. 

Edited by problemfarang

37 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

thanks i already checked these.

The problem is visa application time in cambodia 9:00-11:00 i dont know how far the embassy is so i dont know if you can make it if you arrive 9:40 i wouldnt risk. im sure there will be many people. if you miss that will add you another day plus you need to change your coming back flight. Visa collection is 14:00-15:00 there are no flights back after 15:00 all flights are 13:00 or 13:30 there is only one 17:45 but that will ad you another 2 nights in cambodia its only 1 day in a week that time if i remember correct.

thai smile looks better but then you need to find another flight to get back because their thailand is again 13:00 or 13:30 if i remember correct. 

Morning flights are less likely to be delayed than flights later in the day, and I am someone who is willing to accept some risk. I would probably be willing to assume the Thai Smile flight would give me enough time if I am well organised. You need to allow for applying for the visa-on-arrival (if not using e-visa), getting through immigration, waiting for a taxi, getting a couple of photocopies, and travel time. On average, I would say it would take around 90 minutes, and you would be unlucky to take over two hours. If risk averse, assume the extra day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Morning flights are less likely to be delayed than flights later in the day, and I am someone who is willing to accept some risk. I would probably be willing to assume the Thai Smile flight would give me enough time if I am well organised. You need to allow for applying for the visa-on-arrival (if not using e-visa), getting through immigration, waiting for a taxi, getting a couple of photocopies, and travel time. On average, I would say it would take around 90 minutes, and you would be unlucky to take over two hours. If risk averse, assume the extra day.

yes, that thai smile departure seems not bad. Also can save 1 night at hotel. Thai Smile is 2800 baht one way and gives +20kg free baggage.