Back To Square One For China And Its "Zero Covid" Policy

With citywide lockdown and mass testing in Shanghai, it's seems like China has reached the end of the road for its zero covid policy two years into the pandemic.

67097489_Screenshot_20220402-073222_WashingtonPost.jpg.a1f6af68bd0cddbc756f233251672011.jpg

15 Thousand Bed Field Hospital In Shanghai For Mild and Asymptomatic Covid Cases

• Haha 2

So which developed country did the best (so far) for protecting from death and from lockdowns and economic hardship?

there are some 10 different vax around the world, from which mrna are only pfizer and moderna. 
Countries try to develop their own vax and try to make them locally, as to be independent on foreign supplies. 
china developed many vax and started vax programs yet from as early as june 2020. And so far they are doing well in numbers per 100. 
Probably there was a little chance for them to import mrna in quantities. If they did order there would be shortage elsewhere, prices going up, with possible embargo on export. 
sinovac turned out to be poor choice, but they have many others doing better. 
pandemic is not over yet anywhere in the world. That despite large number vaxed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

How has Sinovac proved to have been a poor choice? 
the death rates in China are well below the UK and US?

Thats conclusion made by thai health service. Medical personnel got 650k of pfizer, and later on moderna, az, as boosters to sinovac. That yet before the great majority of ordinary citizens, and foreigners, got their first shot. 
some countries have withdrawn sinovac from their accepted vaxes - switzerland, austria (as o remember, but since i got my 2 pfizer i dont care about anything and dont follow vax developments)

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

Thats conclusion made by thai health service. Medical personnel got 650k of pfizer, and later on moderna, az, as boosters to sinovac. That yet before the great majority of ordinary citizens, and foreigners, got their first shot. 
some countries have withdrawn sinovac from their accepted vaxes - switzerland, austria (as o remember, but since i got my 2 pfizer i dont care about anything and dont follow vax developments)

Right, so SINOVAC was a bad choice for mainland China because despite a very low death rate, it’s not possible to use to enter a restaurant in Vienna 

got it. Thanks 

• Confused 2

No, you are not allowed to enter those countries. 
austria now requires 3 jabs for entry.  
Anutin was not allowed enter switzerland in the autumn, for some governmental business, because he had only sinovac and some 1 booster. That wosnt good enough. So thai medics and many others from thailand cant enter those 2, and probably many other countries. 
Almost half of doses given in thailand were sinovac (a little over 50mln) and sinopharm (probably around 5mln, dont remember now), so its a wide problem for thai population. That unless they got minimum 2 boosters. 
I dont know how many sinovac was given in china, they have many other vaxes locally made, higher quality. 
They were exporting sinovac and keeping the other to their own population. 
thailand has bought sinovac, because thai largest conglomerate CP, worth over $30bln, has bought in autumn 2020 some 20% shares in company making this vax.

Thats why thai government contracted only some 3mln monthly from the locally made AZ for $6.5 and refused to increase this order, when offered. 
they were already eyeing on sinovac for some $20. So boosting income for the CP.  And eyeing possible kickbacks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

No, you are not allowed to enter those countries. 
austria now requires 3 jabs for entry.  
Anutin was not allowed enter switzerland in the autumn, for some governmental business,

That’s completely and utterly false and I’ve reported you to the mods for lying about vaccines.

sinovac is recognised in Switzerland and Austria for travel and Anitin was allowed to enter Switzerland. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/austria-covid-19-vaccines-recognised-for-travel/

serious question, why are you lying about this?

Edited by FridgeMagnet1
  • Haha 1

I teach science to quite a few different students in Shanghai.  They are all confined to home and from sunrise, their parents search food delivery apps to try to find a delivery slot so that they can get food.  At any time, the whole family can get ordered out for Covid tests (my student yesterday had to abort our lesson because her mom got a mobile phone message ordering them to go immediately to the Covid test centre).

Zero Covid?  They are having a laugh!  China made and released this virus, and now that the whole world has suffered because of their actions, the Chinese public are getting a taste of their own 'medicine'.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

it's seems like China has reached the end of the road for its zero covid policy

Some of us knew from the very start that eliminating covid was never going to happen, any more that the flu can be.

Billions of $ later some governments are still reluctant to admit it.

• Confused 1