Package arrived via FedEx - new "padded" charges?

watthong

This morning I got a package sent via Fedex from the US, and expected to be taxed (on customs - 0 percent for used computer parts and vat - the usual 7 percent) on the whole cif figure. Cost (or value) of the package translated to baht is correct, Insurance is another 1 per cent even though it's supposed to be included in the shipping charge already, and Freight (shipping charges of 207 usd) should be around 7000 baht, however the figure has been inflated to over 14,000, ie an additional 7000 baht. I contacted FedEx local office, and the staff mentioned some kind of added value to the tune of 700 bath per kilo, as the package weighed 10 kilos, thus the addition of another 7000 baht.

This added value is new to me, the clerk couldn't elaborate more as he said that the whole total was already made up by customs before it got to their hands so he couldn't do a break down for me. Then the conversation went around in circles. He said that he would ask their "import" department to get back to me. They never did.

I'm going to  their office tomorrow to put in a claim for the extra 500 baht that I ended up paying (7 percent for vat on 7000 baht). Unless there really exists the 700 baht per kilo addition which I never heard of before. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you in advance for any input

19 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Does the invoice clearly list shipping and insurance charges separately? If not then customs uses a fixed per kg price to asses shipping cost for duty assessment. 

On the Fed Ex invoice the insurance charges are listed as 1per cent (of what it didn't say), the other two items are the cost/value of the package which is correct, and the freight/shipping charge which has the 700 x 10 kg surcharge added on.

The original invoice (the one that was included at departure point) that usually is put in an clear plastic cover and plastered onto the package, this time has gone missing.

Edited by watthong