Thai garlic farmers suffer as cheaper Chinese bulbs flooded the market

webfact

On 4/7/2022 at 12:47 PM, Guderian said:

I should imagine it will come down to taste more than price in the end. Thai garlic is sweet and mild, quite unlike the very strong, slightly astringent garlic we get in northern Europe. Whether this is down to the garlic type or the tropical climate I don't know, but few Thai recipes would work as well using the garlic I buy back home. I prefer Thai garlic as it's more difficult to use too much and spoil the dish.

You will find that Chinese Garlic is saturated with chemicals. I dont know about Thai garlic

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:49 AM, JimHuaHin said:

Was not there a report a few years back about Chinese garlic being bleached and containing acceptable levels of toxic chemicals, so much do that some Western countries had banned it?

We have garlic here from China.  I NEVER buy it.  They not only use chemicals they also use human excrement to grow most things.  It's disgusting!  Particularly seafood (farmed) they feed them human excrement.  

In Japan, they have chinese goods and they are labelled in RED so people know where it is from.  They are always 1/2 the price and nobody really buys them.  

I don't eat anything from China - and thankfully I live in a country where things from China are clearly labelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RandiRona said:

This isnt competition, This is dumping. Govt subsidizes export to kill local economy/Industry.  It's an open and not so secret play from CCP.

Its only open as a figment of your imagination as you have zero proof.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:53 AM, Xonax said:

The worlds Free Trade agreements with China benefits China way more, than the other way round. The worlds politicians must have received loads of brown (or maybe red) envelopes to sign these agreements.

When the Chinese bought up whole factories in the West in the 1980s to ship them to China, I wondered if this was a good development. And look where we are today; totally dependent of, and at the mercy of the CCP. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thailand loves China, especially tourists and exporting to China, but not cheap imports from there... Priceless!

If they don't love Chinese Imports, then why do they buy so much of them?

Edited by placeholder

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

If they don't love Chinese Imports, then why do they buy so much of them?

On the other hand, in MAKRO, if produce or meat comes from most other countries, the country of origin is specified. But if it comes from China, the signage just says "imported".