uPVC windows and doors in condos

warrima

Ok mrs has the wean up in isaan for a few weeks and the bedroom aircon has packed in. I'll get it sorted at the weekend when off work but its got me thinking about the windows and doors. Its been relatively cool this week in bangkok (thankfully) but when i come home in the evenings the room is still very very warm. We have 2 sliding doors that open onto the balcony and they are in full sun all day. Pretty much an oven. 

All the windows in our condo are the basic single pane aluminum frames that are the standard here from the developer. Obviously at home (UK) uPVC double/ triple glazing windows and doors are ubiquitous for their insulation qualities (and sound - but that's not an issues for me). 

Has anyone changed their condo windows and doors to double glazing in Bangkok? Is it worth the capital expense, or is it better to just to keep as is. With the single skin walls in most places maybe its pointless and overkill. Looking around our area i see no one has. I have no idea the juristic even allows it. 

Edited by warrima

What we have done is to add silver backed roller blinds to the windows that get sun on them, these are not cheap but are very effective, the glass goes heat up a bit, naturally, they are perforated so there is a bit of visibility.

E9EA1CF4-9FAE-4659-8F95-2B8196EF8AAB.thumb.jpeg.bc76d8f3d3648827b65bba710a995aa7.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker