Annual Songkran mass exodus from Bangkok begins

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXcKAdx4YljqEOGpNHGXZppyHg70Ts7ubAkcfF.jpg

The exodus of people living or working in Bangkok, returning to their home provinces in Thailand’s north and north-east to celebrate the Songkran festival, began Friday evening.

Long, slow moving queues of traffic were reported on the Friendship Highway in Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima. Police have blocked about 35 U-Turns on the road, which is a gateway to north-eastern provinces, to facilitate outbound traffic flow.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Police have set up a command centre to prevent and reduce road accidents during the long Songkran holiday next week and have mobilised as many as 80,000 police officers and volunteers, who will take turns to work throughout the festive period to ensure public safety.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/annual-songkran-mass-exodus-from-bangkok-begins/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-09

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Was planning a trip to pattaya tomorrow but looks like will need to postpone due to traffic I think 

Going south? On Sunday?

With careful route planning it might be feasible.

Still a risk that oncoming traffic blocks intersections, right turns blocked off etc.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Going south? On Sunday?

With careful route planning it might be feasible.

Still a risk that oncoming traffic blocks intersections, right turns blocked off etc.

Bus but trip not urgent. Will take forever just to get to the expressway I think 

3 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Bus but trip not urgent. Will take forever just to get to the expressway I think 

Indeed I would do a bus trip only if urgent.

Crowded stations. Crowds everywhere.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Police have blocked about 35 U-Turns on the road,

Which will presumably mean traffic staying on the highway further, also longer tail-backs at those U-turns which are open . 

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:12 PM, whereyougo said:

where's that high-speed train we were promised years ago! ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Haha 2