Men set record for crossing Gulf of Thailand on electric surfboards

webfact

565000003482301.jpg

By Online Reporter

With two electric surfboards and a whole lot of nerve, two Thai men have become the first people to cross the Gulf of Thailand using high tech eFoil boards, setting a new record in the process.

The two men, Mr. Nattapon, managing director of Mentagram Company Limited, and Mr. Nattapat, who won the Lift Foils Thailand Challenge 2021, joined forces in a bid to set a new distance record using the eFoil electric surfboard.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The pair left Pattaya Beach at 5am on Friday morning, taking nearly 9 hours to reach Hua Hin beach, stopping only to change the batteries on their electric surfboards.

The pair were expected to complete the crossing in just over 7 hours but strong winds and waves meant they were only able to reach an average speed of 22 km/h. The Lift eFoil electric surfboard has a top speed of 45km/h.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/men-set-record-for-crossing-gulf-of-thailand-on-electric-surfboards/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-04-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

With 120min run time per battery they swapped in fresh batteries 5 times.

I assume they were not carrying those batteries themselves so is it really a "record" as it was done with support (fossil fueled boats and jet ski's) ?.

Only a record, because nobody else cares to even bother.  Probably swapped out batteries more than 5 times, as yet to have anything running on electric give an honest 'range'

NEDC = Not Even Damn Close

They certainly didn't plan on any speed record, as couldn't have picked a more cra ppy weather day to cross.  9 hrs ... nothing more than an endurance test.  That couldn't have been pleasant.  Wonder how much time they spent on a boat, resting ???? ... shh 

I'm thinking since 2, did they alternate riding while the other rested on the support boat ?

9hr to go a mere 100 kms ... yikes.  Not the best product endorsement.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

This sort of adventure is what real men do to prove themselves,

Noooo.....in the past , real men would hang out in Thermaes until just before sun up then pick up a bargain takeaway and go home for an early morning workout then sleep until just before sunset.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Only a record, because nobody else cares to even bother.  Probably swapped out batteries more than 5 times, as yet to have anything running on electric give an honest 'range'

NEDC = Not Even Damn Close

The link says they have a range of 120mins per charge.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

The link says they have a range of 120mins per charge.

MG EVs (50kWh battery) have a range of 400 kms, but ask if anyone ever got that.  Guessing 99.99% would probably state ... Hell No.  My scooter has 120-150 range, and I'be lucky to squeeze out 75, at their recommended slow speed.  Yet to have anything powered by battery that was accurate as rated.

That 120 min rating is probably on a lake, and does that mean will under load, or simply spinning.  Many e-scooter (stand up) & motorcycles are rated without load, for their kph & distance rating.

They do look pretty cool ... though damn expensive.

LIFT3 F eFoils STARTING AT $9,995/฿330k ish to start before import.

and I think I'm be really generous with that price ... cool though

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, webfact said:

the first people to cross the Gulf of Thailand using high tech eFoil boards, setting a new record in the process.

If they were the first people to do it, how could it not be a 'record'? 

I walked backwards around my living room 50 times while singing Old Mac Donald for the first time in 7 hours 35 minutes, it is a record. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

.........stopping only to change the batteries on their electric surfboards.

Did they each carry at least seven spare charged batteries in a backpack? Is this a test run to gauge the feasibility of setting up a ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin? Is there any danger of colliding with a Chinese submarine. How much IS that doggy in the window? So many questions, so few answers.....????

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

An impressive feat and clever marketing for the boards too.

This sort of adventure is what real men do to prove themselves, rather than stabbing their ex in Big C or invading another country.

Great achievement, not. Electric boards and jet skies is a danger do any diver or swimmer and should be banned from be used on any ocean. 

Felt

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If they have a support boat / team with them, it's not much of a feat.  No risk or adventure, simply an endurance contest.  Don't consider those type of feats, man vs nature.  Kudos for them doing, if that's their thing.  I couldn't be bother, or attempt it, or relish the thought of even saying I accomplished it.

Apparently crossing the street here is more of a challenge for some. 

Kite surf across the gulf, without a support team would be quite the accomplishment.  Anyone done that.  Possibly faster on a windy, calm seas day ... ????

Quick G search, and I wasn't off the mark much.  Done & faster ????

"Asian kiteboarding star Narapichit Pudla has become the first rider ever to kite cross the Gulf of Thailand.

The Thai kiteboarder managed to connect Baan Nam Mao Beach and Sam Roi Yod Beach, in Thailand. The 112-kilometer (70 miles) adventure took four hours, five minutes, and 51 seconds to complete."

https://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/yo-pudla-kite-crosses-the-gulf-of-thailand-in-honor-of-late-king

and did it without full time support boat ... that's embarrassing ????

"However, at a certain point, his support boat had engine problems and had to be towed by a fishing ship." ????

Master Yo's kitesurfing crossing was definitely one to be impressed by.  And he did it on a twin tip board, not a foil board.  I would do it on a foil, couldn't pay me enough to do it on a twin tip.   It was nearly dark when he arrived in Sam Roi Yod.

For what it's worth, people cross the gulf with foil boards every year now, using a 55' Italian Cranchi powerboat as support...  so literally getting about 1 liter/km fuel consumption.   It's all very green....   ????

I have crossed the gulf in less than 8 hours before in my 25 foot keelboat, so the e-foil 'record' is very very unimpressive.

Apparently the e-foils are being made here in Thailand, there is a farang making them.  I have not met him yet, but apparently a cool guy.

Re:  MG EP....   with "380km Range"...  indeed.  I'd say 320km is absolute max possible on it.  I've driven mine from Jomtien to Prachuap Kiri Khan and back, you have to stop to charge once.   We got it down to 17% battery on the way there before charging at a fast charger in Cha-am.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Master Yo's kitesurfing crossing was definitely one to be impressed by.  And he did it on a twin tip board, not a foil board.  I would do it on a foil, couldn't pay me enough to do it on a twin tip.   It was nearly dark when he arrived in Sam Roi Yod.

For what it's worth, people cross the gulf with foil boards every year now, using a 55' Italian Cranchi powerboat as support...  so literally getting about 1 liter/km fuel consumption.   It's all very green....   ????

I have crossed the gulf in less than 8 hours before in my 25 foot keelboat, so the e-foil 'record' is very very unimpressive.

Apparently the e-foils are being made here in Thailand, there is a farang making them.  I have not met him yet, but apparently a cool guy.

Re:  MG EP....   with "380km Range"...  indeed.  I'd say 320km is absolute max possible on it.  I've driven mine from Jomtien to Prachuap Kiri Khan and back, you have to stop to charge once.   We got it down to 17% battery on the way there before charging at a fast charger in Cha-am.

Interesting stuff ... thanks