Any Riders Out There? (horseback-riding In Thailand)

Hey guys,

how is the horseback-riding in Thailand? Not touristy gallop-on-the-beach stuff, but regular horseback-riding as a hobby/sport? I'm hoping to move to Thailand this year, and I was wondering if I'd be able to ride once I'm there. I'm particularly interested in places in or around Bangkok.

I know Bangkok has a polo club but I expect that might be a bit out of my financial league when I first arrive. :-P I saw a few web pages online about various barns, so far it seems like the prices for stabling/lessons, etc, are about the same as back home. Does anyone know if "lease" or "half-lease" arrangments are possible with respect to horses in Thailand? Is riding in Thailand limited to those on expat packages (as the pricing I've seen would suggest) or are there other more affordable options?

I talked to some French expats in Vientiane about horseback-riding, as it is quite popular with the diplomat kids down there. Apparently, it's pretty cheap to keep a horse in Vientiane, as the land is mainly agricultural anyways, but I'm guessing Bangkok is a different story. :-)

Any info is quite appreciated. :-)

Hey guys,

how is the horseback-riding in Thailand? Not touristy gallop-on-the-beach stuff, but regular horseback-riding as a hobby/sport? I'm hoping to move to Thailand this year, and I was wondering if I'd be able to ride once I'm there. I'm particularly interested in places in or around Bangkok.

I know Bangkok has a polo club but I expect that might be a bit out of my financial league when I first arrive. :-P I saw a few web pages online about various barns, so far it seems like the prices for stabling/lessons, etc, are about the same as back home. Does anyone know if "lease" or "half-lease" arrangments are possible with respect to horses in Thailand? Is riding in Thailand limited to those on expat packages (as the pricing I've seen would suggest) or are there other more affordable options?

I talked to some French expats in Vientiane about horseback-riding, as it is quite popular with the diplomat kids down there. Apparently, it's pretty cheap to keep a horse in Vientiane, as the land is mainly agricultural anyways, but I'm guessing Bangkok is a different story. :-)

Any info is quite appreciated. :-)

I m from ireland and live in thailand, as you probably know ireland very well know for showjumping, horse, and of course horse racing. did a bit of the white jodpurs and riding boots stuff as a kid in ireland. I am not into it now, but I know the basics.

anyway to your point, I saw a documentary last years on Thai TV about a big riding school in BKK. I could not understand the thai, but the facilites of the indoor arena, the professionalism of the instructors, and the grooming of the horses etc was on par with standards in the top riding schools in ireland. I was amazed, as I did not think, Thailand would have it to that level.

I think there is a proper riding school in Pattaya too where I live. and also there is a german man who has horses and will take over the hills etc, he is very nice, and skilled. it is more of a trek, but still beter than nothing.

try www.yello.co.th

There are two riding schools in Phuket, one between Chalong and Nai Harn not well run with scraggy horses and one at Laguna which I think is a bit better.

About a couple of hours run from Bangkok there is an area called Kao Yai national park where there is a very well run western style riding school. I think its called "Bonanza".

You should be easily able to find somewhere to keep a horse (or horses) pretty much anywhere in Thailand (except Bangkok).

I m from ireland and live in thailand, as you probably know ireland very well know for showjumping, horse, and of course horse racing. did a bit of the white jodpurs and riding boots stuff as a kid in ireland. I am not into it now, but I know the basics.

anyway to your point, I saw a documentary last years on Thai TV about a big riding school in BKK. I could not understand the thai, but the facilites of the indoor arena, the professionalism of the instructors, and the grooming of the horses etc was on par with standards in the top riding schools in ireland. I was amazed, as I did not think, Thailand would have it to that level.

Thanks for the info Gerry, I'll check it out.

Ireland is definitely known for its horses! :-)

There are two riding schools in Phuket, one between Chalong and Nai Harn not well run with scraggy horses and one at Laguna which I think is a bit better.

About a couple of hours run from Bangkok there is an area called Kao Yai national park where there is a very well run western style riding school. I think its called "Bonanza".

You should be easily able to find somewhere to keep a horse (or horses) pretty much anywhere in Thailand (except Bangkok).

Cool! I'll check it out. Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was Western riding in Thailand.

Thanks for the info Gerry, I'll check it out.

Ireland is definitely known for its horses! :-)

I did a wee stint when about 11, in early 80s, under a very famous Showjumping Champion called Irish kellet, who was one of the most famous show jumpers ever... I am sure she is long dead now. had a great massive show jumping school in Kill, Co Kildare. I think former irish showjumper ex Captain in irish army, which is also famous for champions owns it now.

Then i got sick of cantering around an area, and when into the self defence martial arts violence lol!!!

There are a number of good stables in Bangkok. I keep 3 horses here, so can give you any info/advice you require.

They are mostly members clubs with a yearly membership fee, monthly fees and then the livery costs. Approx 50,000 per year membership fee, approx 1,500 to 2,000 baht monthly fee (though not all clubs charge a monthly fee). Livery would average at about 13,000 per hourse per month. This includes grooming, feed, bedding, but not shoeing or vets bills. Some stables also charge extra for hay (rather than straw, which is included in the livery) at approx 7 baht per kilo.

Leasing and half leasing are available at most stables, but you would probably pay more than a regular livery charge. Lessons average at about 700baht. These are all averages and each club will differ, but they will give you a ball park figure.

If you have any specific questions please pm me or post them here.

• 2 months later...

Dear Karen (and any others),

Myself and some UN women are wanting to find some place to ride. I have quite a bit of experience and was riding and teaching at a backyard stable on racehorses in Khon Kaen. Just out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone knows of any such 'backyard' places near bangkok? (Ex)racehorses/ horses needing schooling fine for myself but ideally general riding horses for my colleagues as well would be great. Again part boarding might be an ideal situation. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, My daughter rides at Nonthaburi Equestrian Sports Club, which has fabulous facilities for horse owners and riders alike. We've been there for more than a year and are very happy with it. It's a way out of central Bangkok but very accessible via the expressway and quite affordable with immediate access, unlike the Polo Club, which seems to be soooo elite these days. Takes about 30 mins to get there from Sukhumvit/Silom/Sathorn via expressway, about 180 baht in a cab. They cater to experienced riders who want to ride rather than take a lesson and to those who want lessons. We came across the place by word of mouth when we were in Brussels looking for a good stable in Bangkok and I'm very happy with the place, the management and the instructors. I don't ride any more but it's a great place to relax while watching others sweating it out :o

They have a Web site which you can find by googling the name.

You may also want to try the Horseshoe Point just outside Pattaya, they have large stables and very experienced staff.

Now dont let the following tale of my equestrian ineptitude put you off the place. I used to ride a fair bit when I was young, but stopped for quite a while. So when the owners of the Horseshoe Point invited me to join them on a trek around the property, during a pre-opening visit, I jumped at the chance. Very scenic property they have there, really nice.

I'm 6'4 so naturally I was presented with a huge dark beast, whose name I have deleted from memory. What I can tell you is that he was the only of his breed of his type in the group and the only male. I knew something was up after I mounted him and saw his ears flatten against his head. Jittery is the word that comes to mind, and his jitters weren't eased when on the way out of the ranch, a small horse in front booted him full whack in the chin.

Have you seen that film City Slickers?...

The beautiful scenery I mentioned before, was nothing but a blur as the nag bolted and galloped away at full pace with me barely hanging on! I haven't rode for something like 15 years, but I remembered that to stop you pull the reins and pull I did, as hard as I could, to no avail.

We galloped through shoulder high grasses (?) (I couldn't say what it was for sure), boundered through various types of terrain, leapt into a small stream which I think he didnt like, the water came up to his shoulder, so he jumped out of it with great speed and gusto. How I was able to stay seated I will never know, the fact that my hat stayed on was by the sheer grace of God.

After 30 minutes of terror, he calmed down (I think I wore him out) but that was the last time I got on a horse, and I know you are supposed to get right back on, but I think I will give it a few more years until I try again...

Anyway, Horseshoe Point its a nice place, if you like that sort of thing :o