Foreign tourists have water fights in Chiang Mai - police have a word and local authority turn off the pipe

webfact

8 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Looking at those pics and others on social media the vast majority engaging in water fights were Thai's.

Maybe, but respectful tourists would abstain. Now, I agree that Thais don't need much of a motivational speech to behave like morons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Looking at those pics and others on social media the vast majority engaging in water fights were Thai's.

Well, expats tend to be older and not like the water throwing, tourists like it but are few on the ground, so yes, the majority will be Thai.

My friend there said it was widely publicized that there was to be an official parade and waterfights.

I said that I thought it was banned for all thailand, but I did follow that up with..."of course my last knowledge is from two weeks ago.  Flip Flops are official political shoes worn here"

What do you expect if you advertise locally that it's an event allowed?

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

Deported for water fights?

Execution for not wearing masks perhaps?

Looks like the police used a sensible approach.

Not an easy call for the police.  Thailand is desperate for tourists  and will always turn a blind eye if it is likely to affect the tourist numbers.  Those instructions will be from the top down so don't expect any change in the near future.

• Like 1

In the 2 pictures the majority of people are Thais, whether they are tourists or not. 

I have my doubts that there are many thousands of foreign tourists that will remain after Songkran, unless they 

are single people, as it is school season around the world now. 

The police know better than to annoy the Thais anymore than they do. TIT.

20 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Maybe, but respectful tourists would abstain. Now, I agree that Thais don't need much of a motivational speech to behave like morons.

Maybe, but respectful tourists would abstain. Now, I agree that Thais MOST people don't need much of a motivational speech to behave like morons.

9 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

all people should comply with the government rules --tourist or not  . police want to apply the law with a heavy foot 

That is exactly what they did not do hence an amicable outcome.