Cannabis for back pain

I suffer with lower back pain and also sometimes neck pain which is all down to spinal stenosis . It limits my walking to about 50 - 100 meters and then the pain kicks in and radiates to my hips . MRI shows lower discs too close to the spinal cord . I tried some pain killers but no relief , have been told that an epidural injection can bring pain relief but often only temporary . Also some say that cannabis in either smoking or by way of oil under the tongue can bring pain relief . I would like to know if any readers are currently using pain relief for their back.

I recently spoke to a Thai taxi driver who was given a small bottle of the oil to place under the tongue but said he then slept for 2 days . I do not want that to happen . 

That's not going help.  You may feel better, stoned, but won't give much actual pain relief, simply mask it, or even amplify it, depending on you mental state when stoned.

Trust me, 2 herniated disc & 5 degenerative disc, and being a stoner never really helped.

If bulging disc, that's manageable, if herniated beyond manageable, then surgery is the only option.  I had my 2 fixed, in the USA.  Told at the time, change jobs or come back in 5, and he'll fix again. ????

Best advice a doc ever gave me, 1997, retired end of 2000.  As long as I behave myself, they don't bother me.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, the arthritis in my knuckles is much better with cannabis, it's a good NSAID.

Swelling reduced, grip stronger, constant low level pain gone

I can now open my wine coolers by hand, before I couldn't.

Arthritis & herniated disc pressing on a nerve as described, are definitely a bit different.  NSAID, surely already using, can only manage so much.  If tried everything and ongoing for about a year, then surgery is usually all that's left.  If going to subside by itself, that usually happens within the year.  Depends on the herniation, and how intrusive it is on the nerve.

I'm assuming he's done all his muscle strengthening exercises, religiously (makes a big difference), and all scripts, rest & therapy has failed.  The nerve block is just a temp fix, and will eventually wear off, though may relieve discomfort enough for therapy.

Good Luck, just stay away from any doc that wants to use screws & plates to fix.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, the arthritis in my knuckles is much better with cannabis, it's a good NSAID.

Swelling reduced, grip stronger, constant low level pain gone

I can now open my wine coolers by hand, before I couldn't.

I smoke it (15-20% THC) before bed as I don't like the 'stoned' feeling.

Fall asleep very quickly shortly after for 8-9hrs.

The next day is problem free.

Can't give an opinion on back pain or CBD as i don't have either.

Arthritis pain and pain from spinal stenosis are very different.

OP can try, I do not know anyone who has gotten relief with cannabis from pain due to a nerve being mechanically pinched by bone.

OP: the relief form an epidural can last as much as 6 - 12 months and in about 20-40% of cases is indefinite. It is definitely worth trying. If the pain quickly returns then you may need to consider surgery, there have been a lot of advances in this with minimally invasive approaches now available and some excellent western trained surgeons in Bkk.

Epidural is usually done before surgery, nto only because it might remove then need for surgery but also because it confirms the diagnosis in terms of source of the pain. If no relief at all from the epidural then the pain is nto coming from where they thought it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It does a better job than the 4-8 paracetamol a day I was previously taking.

And with far less risk as far as I can see.

I used to eat 10mg Vs like tic tocs, and would knock most people out.  Got to the point, I couldn't roll over in bed without shooting pain.

Slice & diced, doc came in the next morning making the rounds, asked about getting help to go to toilet, he laughed, said "I fixed you, idiot, did you try to get out of bed?"

"holy c r a p, it's miracle....praise Jesus" ... dumb A$$, I should have let him cut me the first time he suggested it, 6 months prior.  Hence I took his advice on changing jobs and retired.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, superal said:

I recently spoke to a Thai taxi driver

Do you gave access to a Doctor? If so, are you asking them to drive you around?

AFAIK, Cannabinoids here are only used for a very small set of diagnoses, most involving terminal conditions as part of a palliative regimen.

GPO Sublingual oils.

GPOCBD.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 11:51 AM, BritManToo said:

I smoke it (15-20% THC) before bed as I don't like the 'stoned' feeling.

Fall asleep very quickly shortly after for 8-9hrs.

The next day is problem free.

Do you find it groggy in the morning, Brit?