What optons if ED Visa denied?

Hello friends. I have acquaintance who received many covid extension on tourist visa. Last time did covid extension they say 'last time go home!' This at Bangkok immigration.

He start work to change to ED Visa. He already taking Thai classes before applying. School say not sure if ED Visa will be approved. Education ministry approve the study. When he applied for visa at immigration, they comment about many covid extensions. Not sure if can get and said it is boss decision to approve.

School think probably he will be denied visa. Wednesday this week he will know if approval granted or denied.

Question is what is best option if denied? He has 3 weeks left on current extension. Should he try to apply for another covid extension? Is it ok to apply at Bangkok immigration again after they say 'last time go home' or better to take trip to other province? He can book hotel and get TM30 then apply at province office? Is this option? Or maybe it not work well? If another province is best idea then which province is suggested? My friend is not old enough for retirement visa and also not married.

Thank you kindly for advice.

10 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Last time did covid extension they say 'last time go home!' This at Bangkok immigration.

If your friend entered on a tourist visa or visa exempt he can obtain a covid extension prior to May 25.

CW were being very rude with "this is your last one" however many reports of what you state.

Friend should try CW, there is no reason why should not be issued with a CE.

Yes can obtain in another province with a new TM30 but messy option..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Doesn't hurt to try. He hasn't been on a Non-O yet so no legal reason why he should be denied but of course, it's always up to the IO's discretion as well. If he's denied the ED visa and also the COVID extension (unlikely) then he'll have to leave.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If your friend entered on a tourist visa or visa exempt he can obtain a covid extension prior to May 25.

CW were being very rude with "this is your last one" however many reports of what you state.

Friend should try CW, there is no reason why should not be issued with a CE.

Yes can obtain in another province with a new TM30 but messy option..

Thank you Dr Jack.  Do you know if people who told same kind of thing at CW were able to get covid extension in the end, or were they denied?

1 minute ago, cheddarburger said:

Thank you Dr Jack.  Do you know if people who told same kind of thing at CW were able to get covid extension in the end, or were they denied?

The interesting thing is it seemed that it was one imm officer in particular. 

After week or so those reports ended. People were also being asked for flight out.

CW is not the only culprit. Hua Hin was requiring letter from your embassy and not accepting the affidavit that has been fine with most offices.

I haven't read any recent reports.

Hopefully someone will post first hand recent experience.

I suggest try CW. As stated if friend entered on TV or visa exempt then no reason why CE should not be issued. 

• Like 2

It should be no problem getting an ED visa.  I just did, and I had a worse visa 'history' than your friend.

I'm at the point I should copy and paste my answer (to help others like your friend who was in similar situation as I was).

Short:  I have been here since beginning of pandemic and by grace of mostly covid extensions (save in the beginning when they told us to go get a long term visa if we wanted to stay... and I was converted to a volunteer visa). 

I spoke with over 40 agents and officers before coming across a few places that did.  My first 38 talks were with people that worked thru Pattaya and BKK.  A few local did offer "specials" for 110,000. BLEH.

Due to being denied so long, I was also just starting overstay.

FB being so snoopy, listening to me PM's...they started sending me agency ads from all over.  Thank god, their privacy invasion helped me for once!

I'm now on a 9 month ED visa (max they did one month ago) which cost me 40k.
Now I guess they'll do 12 months for 55k.  

They admonished me for waiting so long (me going into overstay), but said it was no problem.  
They also could not understand why I was having a problem getting a visa.  They said it was cut and dry, and having no problems getting people education visas.

I am going thru a legit school, with classes (online), if that matters to you or not (I was told I don't have to attend, but I personally want to.

I did not have to leave the country.

There were no hiccups.  Took a little long, but great communication.

There were some others that were around 65 to 70k as well.

Get out of the circle or office area you are trying.  It's the Immigration office denying your friend by their policy and it is not national policy.

Good luck!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

It should be no problem getting an ED visa.  I just did, and I had a worse visa 'history' than your friend.

I'm at the point I should copy and paste my answer (to help others like your friend who was in similar situation as I was).

Short:  I have been here since beginning of pandemic and by grace of mostly covid extensions (save in the beginning when they told us to go get a long term visa if we wanted to stay... and I was converted to a volunteer visa). 

I spoke with over 40 agents and officers before coming across a few places that did.  My first 38 talks were with people that worked thru Pattaya and BKK.  A few local did offer "specials" for 110,000. BLEH.

Due to being denied so long, I was also just starting overstay.

FB being so snoopy, listening to me PM's...they started sending me agency ads from all over.  Thank god, their privacy invasion helped me for once!

I'm now on a 9 month ED visa (max they did one month ago) which cost me 40k.
Now I guess they'll do 12 months for 55k.  

They admonished me for waiting so long (me going into overstay), but said it was no problem.  
They also could not understand why I was having a problem getting a visa.  They said it was cut and dry, and having no problems getting people education visas.

I am going thru a legit school, with classes (online), if that matters to you or not (I was told I don't have to attend, but I personally want to.

I did not have to leave the country.

There were no hiccups.  Took a little long, but great communication.

There were some others that were around 65 to 70k as well.

Get out of the circle or office area you are trying.  It's the Immigration office denying your friend by their policy and it is not national policy.

Good luck!

Usually you can only switch to an ED visa in country that's max one year from your last arrival date, even with agents. Seem like you got extremely lucky being able to get one for that long and also while on overstay. Seems almost unbelievable to be honest.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Usually you can only switch to an ED visa in country that's max one year from your last arrival date, even with agents. Seem like you got extremely lucky being able to get one for that long and also while on overstay. Seems almost unbelievable to be honest.

Idk.  I now know multiple people like myself who now have gotten an ED visa thru this school and agency.

15 hours ago, Dart12 said:

They also could not understand why I was having a problem getting a visa.

It often seems like agents have little knowledge what happens in other provinces. In which province did you get your extension?

14 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

In most provinces yes. But in for example Chiang Mai it's still possible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

It often seems like agents have little knowledge what happens in other provinces. In which province did you get your extension?

In most provinces yes. But in for example Chiang Mai it's still possible.

Chiang Mai was one of the provinces that had offers.  A little More costly and required travel from me  though.

Hello friends.

An update on the situation. The ED Visa was approved earlier this week. It was very surprising to him and for school. He was on tourist visa since just before covid happen and then many extensions until now when he is approved for ED Visa at Bangkok immigration. Thank you for your words and advice.