Car Ferries to local islands

LivinginKata

Doubt if you can, and don't think you'd need or want to have a car.  The island is only about 4 sq kms.  Just rent bikes or scooter,  if need or want to go to the other side.  Or walk.  One side to the other is < 2kms.

Have you looked at a map ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

LiK, where can you go with a car onYe Phi Phi?  Pre-covid, there was a ferry (can load cars) from near Rassada Pier to Khao Yao

Yes that was the only one. If its still running you can go. 

From Trip Adviser  

Just thought I would give an update for any future travellers wishing to take a car over to Koh Yao Yai. To book the car ferry go down a day or two before your travel date to Chianwanich Pier in Phuket Town. Very friendly chaps at the booking office there but you will need to speak some Thai to communicate what you want regarding outward /return dates and times etc. Suggest you talk with people at your hotel who you can call once you are at the Pier and they can arrange everything via your mobile. Arrived today with tickets in hand and was directed to “VIP” queue , 2 minutes later the car was on the ferry. If you like a cold beer in the evening then suggest you top up your car boot with a few while in Phuket as shops selling alcohol are few an far between on the island.

We were able to book outward and return tickets for about 1140 Thb to include car and 2 persons. Ferry takes about 1.5 hours and docks just north of the Santhiya Resort. Looking forward to explore the island on 4 wheels independently at a realistic price over the next 4 to 5 days.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:42 PM, KhunLA said:

Doubt if you can, and don't think you'd need or want to have a car.  The island is only about 4 sq kms.  Just rent bikes or scooter,  if need or want to go to the other side.  Or walk.  One side to the other is < 2kms.

Have you looked at a map ?

Such a small place a scooter is perfect for the one paved road.

Others beaches arent accessible without a scooter.

I'd like to know if you can bring your car to Koh Kut?  Supposedly one of Thailand's most beautiful islands.

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Such a small place a scooter is perfect for the one paved road.

Others beaches arent accessible without a scooter.

I'd like to know if you can bring your car to Koh Kut?  Supposedly one of Thailand's most beautiful islands.

No, you can't, have to leave the car near the pier at the dedicated car park. There are cars on the island though but belong to local businesses.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, LivinginKata said:

Wife says I can take car to coconut island

First off, just FYI the kitten you gave me about a decade ago, is doing very well (as a grandpa). 

Now for your question.

Coconut island currently has a Ferry leaving every few days and coming back with 'loads' of rubber trees as the island clears current plantations (expected for the next 9 months).

Taking your car over is of no issue, but it's stuck there for a few days/week, bringing it back may be harder.

There is of-course the ferry used for rubbish and moving <deleted> for the coconut resort that goes weekly and that's usually used by the expats.

Otherwise there is a ferry on demand but they charge about 70k THB and can only do a few days a month (they usually go daily to Yo Yai). 

Otherwise apart from the 20 or so vehicles on the island (its infrastructure doesn't really need a car), most people walk, bike, motorbike, or side car taxi over the place.

Note, there is talk of an approved bridge of sorts connecting to the main land that is just awaiting the budget allocation in Bangkok.

Whether it's a suspension bridge, or the existing piers extended and raised so vessel's can pass under, allowing motorbikes to travel between (best).

Is unknown, or how long, when, if etc.

50 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

No, you can't, have to leave the car near the pier at the dedicated car park. There are cars on the island though but belong to local businesses.

Thanks.

Did you enjoy it?

I'm worried I'll get 7/11 withdrawals.

Is there a 711?

4 hours ago, eezergood said:

Last time I was there - no ATM on the island and power only from 5pm - 5am ish 

Didn't experience that at my resort. I have seen at least 2 ATM's and there were no power restrictions. October 2020.

Edited by BMW Overlander

On 4/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, BMW Overlander said:

Didn't experience that at my resort. I have seen at least 2 ATM's and there were no power restrictions. October 2020.

I stayed at (no longer named this I believe) the X2 & this was around Spet/Oct 2012 ????

• 1 month later...