Khon Kaen - Solicitor dealing with drawing up Will.

Speedo1968

My circumstances have changed over the years and, I need to draw up a new Will relating to bank accounts and personal possessions here in Thailand.
I own no property ( e.g. house ) here, i.e. I rent.

Can any one recommend a solicitor in Khon Kaen.

I understand that I have to provide a medical certificate to prove I am of "sound mind", where can I get that from ? ( yes I hear laughter )

I have read that I need to have 2 Thai witnesses when signing the Will, can one of those be a beneficiary ?

Thanks in advance for any info given.

This has been done many times before.

No need for lawyers. 

Write your own will, sign it and get two witnesses to sign it. Have the witnesses be someone who will not benefit from the will. 

Have 2 copies. One in English and one in Thai. Easy to translate a simple will, as yours seems to be.

• Thanks 1

If you do decide on a lawyer I can highly recommend 

Isaanlawyers on www.isaanlawyers.com

All done by email but you need to go to Khorat to sign the wills.  His staff are the witnesses.  I have two copies, one here, one with mother-in-law.  Isaan lawyers also keep one in their safe just in case.

18 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

This has been done many times before.

No need for lawyers. 

Write your own will, sign it and get two witnesses to sign it. Have the witnesses be someone who will not benefit from the will. 

Have 2 copies. One in English and one in Thai. Easy to translate a simple will, as yours seems to be.

OP - Many thanks for your comments.
I made my first Will in Thailand many years ago but it was in English only, it was witnessed by two people.
Keeping it simple is the hardest part and finding someone local to translate is difficult.
Will ( excuse the pun ) give it a try.

I am currently going through this process at present. My requirements are a bit different in that I still have some assets in the UK

I am using Isaan Lawyers in Korat as already recommended by @lungbing.

The biggest issue for me has been the appointment of an executor. I really don't know anyone here with sufficient grasp of English (my UK asssets) or the ability to liaise with the authorities, banks etc (both Thai and UK assets) to be able to deal with the paperwork.

Isaan Lawyers have roughly estimated around 10,000 baht for this service which I think is good value for peace of mind.

Incidently, you ask whether a beneficiary can be a witness to the will? That is not permitted.     

Edited by Farmerslife

42 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Isaan Lawyers have roughly estimated around 10,000 baht for this service which I think is good value for peace of mind.

Incidently, you ask whether a beneficiary can be a witness to the will? That is not permitted.     

Can the benificiary also be the executor?

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - Many thanks for your comments.
I made my first Will in Thailand many years ago but it was in English only, it was witnessed by two people.
Keeping it simple is the hardest part and finding someone local to translate is difficult.
Will ( excuse the pun ) give it a try.

My wife, daughter and I translated my will. 

The OP's will seems quite straight forward. Only cash and contents of bank account. If you have assets in your own country it would be advisable to have a separate Will there.

You can easily start with " this will refers to all of my assets in Thailand" or something on the lines of.

Edited by youreavinalaff

22 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Are you sure about that? I used isaanlawyers to make a will a few years back, signed it at home, witnessed by friends/neighbours.

I did that with my first will but it was in English and would have needed translation

• 2 weeks later...

Your beneficiaries if you trust them should be able to nut this out. It's in Thai and English write your bit in English and they write what you want in Thai get a translator to check if your not sure that will cost 200 baht instead of 10000 

last_will_Thai.docx

Edited by starky