Retirement Extension method

You will need to transfer the equivalent of 65k baht into a Thai bank from the UK for 12 months when you use the income option to apply for a extension of stay.

You will also have to meet the requirements for 800k baht in the bank after you applied for your current extension and then 400k baht until you apply for the extension using the income option, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will also have to meet the requirements for 800k baht in the bank after you applied for your current extension and then 400k baht until you apply for the extension using the income option, 

Does the same thing apply in reverse? Thus far I've been using the 65k monthly income method for my retirement extensions, but plan to switch to 800k in the bank for future extensions. Next time, therefore, will I need provide evidence of 65k monthly transfers over the previous 12 months in addition to 800k deposited in a bank account at least 2 months previously? I have carried on making 65k monthly transfers into my Bangkok Bank account from my UK account since transferring 800k into a new account with Krungsri over 2 months ago, just in case.

37 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Does the same thing apply in reverse? Thus far I've been using the 65k monthly income method for my retirement extensions, but plan to switch to 800k in the bank for future extensions. Next time, therefore, will I need provide evidence of 65k monthly transfers over the previous 12 months in addition to 800k deposited in a bank account at least 2 months previously? I have carried on making 65k monthly transfers into my Bangkok Bank account from my UK account since transferring 800k into a new account with Krungsri over 2 months ago, just in case.

What you outline will be fine.

Think you could possibly stop the income transfers 2 months prior to application with the 800k in place.

However your plan is best.

If the money in bank method is rejected (won't be) ....you have fallback option of continue with income method.

I rarely suggest consult your immigration office, however first of all they will welcome money in bank method and can confirm your plan is a go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

It would not be the same. There is no written requirement to keep doing the transfers after you apply using the income option proven by transfers into the country for the past year. If you cannot meet the 65k baht transfer requirements you can use the money in the bank option or the combination option if short for the annual income.

If using the money in the bank option it is in the written in the rules you must maintain the funds in the bank as per the immigration order.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to transfer the equivalent of 65k baht into a Thai bank from the UK for 12 months when you use the income option to apply for a extension of stay.

Does the same apply for the first extension of an O-A visa? i.e. 12 months of 65k baht transfers prior to applying?

10 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Does the same apply for the first extension of an O-A visa? i.e. 12 months of 65k baht transfers prior to applying?

Yes you would unless your embassy will provide a proof of income document.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you would unless your embassy will provide a proof of income document.

Thanks for that clarification, I have the letter, have not applied for an extension of stay, aka retirement visa for a few years now, what was required, last I did this, was , the letter, bank book, letter from the bank with the balance, same day preferred, although never was sure why they want to see that??, and 1800 baht, with 3800 more for multiple entry, now I am hearing about insurance?? is this now required? anything they have added to the requirements, as I said, its been 3 years since i have gotten an extension, thanks in advance, Al.

6 minutes ago, alstaxi said:

although never was sure why they want to see that??, and 1800 baht, with 3800 more for multiple entry, now I am hearing about insurance?

Extensions are 1900 baht.

Reentry permits are separate.

1000baht single and 3800 multiple reentry permit. 

Insurance is not required for extensions from a non O.

Insurance is required for extensions retirement from a non O-A.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Extensions are 1900 baht.

Reentry permits are separate.

1000baht single and 3800 multiple reentry permit. 

Insurance is not required for extensions from a non O.

Insurance is required for extensions retirement from a non O-A.

I am here on a non o visa, family of thai national, the extension of stay, based on retirement, is  what i am wanting to to get, so I will need insurance?

It's all very simple and, contrary to what some say, the 800K in the bank isn't required. Simply make a transfer from the UK to your Thai bank every month, or at least 12 transfers in the 12 month period (Immigration count the number of transfers when you're there, and I sometimes do a couple in one month if the rates are favorable). My immigration agent tells me it's best if the transfers are a tad over the 65K requirement, which mine usually are by design anyway. At the end of the day, all Immigration want to see is that you have money, as much as possible, to be spent here.

Bangkok Bank seems to be the best because they understand the procedure well. You must be sure to update your bank book every month so that each of those transfers is in your bank book. If you miss one in the book, you will need to pay the bank another 1,000 baht and 3 days while they prepare a detailed printed statement of every transaction to be used by the next department there. Then, when you're ready to apply for the Retirement Visa, go to your Bangkok Bank branch a week before (I use BBL at Emporium in Bangkok), and tell their Foreign Remittance desk that you need an incoming foreign remittance statement for the purposes of an Immigration Retirement visa.

They take your bank book (or that huge printed statement), you come back the next day, and they give you a properly formatted and stamped statement for Immigration with just the details of each transfer.  Cost is 500 baht. Immigration are perfectly happy with that, and I've done every renewal since they shutdown the embassy letters the same way, never with any issue at all or any suggestion that I should have 800K in the bank.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Thank you, I just found a lengthy explanation , with pictures of non o a and extention of stay, they both serve the same purpose, the non o-a is much  more difficult to get in your own country, will visit Jomtien tomorrow, thanks again.

12 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

It's all very simple and, contrary to what some say, the 800K in the bank isn't required. Simply make a transfer from the UK to your Thai bank every month, or at least 12 transfers in the 12 month period

You have misunderstood the OP.

To change from money in bank to income method he would need to show 12 months of transfers.

29 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

It's all very simple and, contrary to what some say, the 800K in the bank isn't required. Simply make a transfer from the UK to your Thai bank every month, or at least 12 transfers in the 12 month period (Immigration count the number of transfers when you're there, and I sometimes do a couple in one month if the rates are favorable). My immigration agent tells me it's best if the transfers are a tad over the 65K requirement, which mine usually are by design anyway. At the end of the day, all Immigration want to see is that you have money, as much as possible, to be spent here.

1. Can I  send money any day of the month?
2. Does the money must be coded international transfer?

3. Do I need to update by bank book periodically?

4. Can I send more than 12 transfer, like every week one transfer?

5. Is there any risk the IO will ask where the money come from (mine come from marijuana business which is legal in my states in US)
6. Are they going to ask for TM 30?

7. Can I skip a few months and then make up in one month in lump sum?
8. Is there  a guaranteed time how long maximum I will be with immigration for renewal.

If no to any answer above, it is not a simple process. I give 15K to an agent and everything is taken care of for me. Nothing is required as above. And that is a simple process, I consider. 

Edited by Onerak

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

5. Is there any risk the IO will ask where the money come from (mine come from marijuana business which is legal in my states in US)

8. Is there  a guaranteed time how long maximum I will be with immigration for renewal.

If no to any answer above, it is not a simple process. I give 15K to an agent and everything is taken care of for me. Nothing is required as above. And that is a simple process, I consider. 

2. Yes.

7. No.

8. About an hour but depends where you apply.

Edited by Lite Beer

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

As above but to be clear

1 yes

2 yes

3 it’s easier but since most offices require a 1 year bank statement the answer is probably no

4 technically yes, practically probably not a good idea 

5 faintly possible though unlikely.

6 almost every office needs a TM 30 once, not every year

7 no they must be every month minimum 65,000

8 no, it’s totally variable depending on numbers of people in the queue, but if the papers are all correct, somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes tops 30 minutes with an immigration officer is usually enough. The queue can be many hours long or nobody waiting.

I don’t comment on agents, apart from knowing they exist and the more you pay the less time is spent in immigration, down to zero in some cases.

Edited by sometimewoodworker