How to get Non-O visa from tourist?

My friend entered the country on a tourist visa with plan to go through an agent to get the Non-O.  He is 80, has lived here previously with annual extensions, and now wants to live here for good.  He has income to support the 65k/month requirement.

Now the agent is giving him the run-around after apparently losing his immigration contact.

Anybody know his options to get a Non-O retirement visa?

He would need to use money in bank method to obtain a non O and that is 800k in bank on the day he applies.

That gives a 90 day stamp and in last 30 he can apply for annual extension. 

If all that is impossible he could use an agent.

Where is he located. 

When does his current permission of stay end.

He could obtain a 30 extension if more time to organize is required.

Obviously he already has a Thai bank account?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

He can apply for non-o visa at immigration and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay the visa allows he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

Requirements for the non-o visa application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The problem he may have is proving his income for the non-o visa application. If can get proof of his income from his embassy it would not  be a problem using the income option. If not then he would not be able to prove his income by way of transfers into a Thai bank from abroad to apply for the visa.

Even getting the extension application done can be a problem without proof of income from a embassy. He might need one year of transfers of at least 65k baht dependent upon how long he has been here and the office where he applies.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Is is possible to get a bank account without a visa?

There is currently couple of threads re "opening Bank account".

It is not simple on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, especially in Bangkok where a residence certificate most likely required by the bank. 

Given time frame and age of friend he should contact an agent to open bank account. Approx cost 5k 

Where is he located.

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

Staying with me in Udon Thani.

He could try open the account himself. 

Try Kasikorn first. 

Otherwise there are plenty of agents in Udon. 

Bit unrelated.....I also am on extensions retirement and do not use an agent as is an easy process using money in bank.

Having said that my longer term plan when age becomes a factor I will switch to agent. 

Which nationality is passport?

Ask because income method re ubonjoe post earlier. 

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

He's a Brit.

He needs to use money in bank method.

Provide funds himself or use agent.

He could use income method for next extension transferring the 65k+ each month..

Not really possible for him to use income method for the first non O and extension.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is currently couple of threads re "opening Bank account".

It is not simple on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, especially in Bangkok where a residence certificate most likely required by the bank. 

Given time frame and age of friend he should contact an agent to open bank account. Approx cost 5k 

Where is he located.

Bangkok Bank required a reference from my home country bank. It arrived within a day & account was opened.