Xray machines at Swampy airport

l remember in 2019 there was a lot of talk about new xray machines getting fitted in swampy airport to catch people bringing back lots of food (ie cheese etc) or other products ie (Coffee machine) then charge them whatever tax. Has that actually happened or just the same as always?

• Haha 2

Be prepared to pay the import duty. If you don't get stopped consider it a bonus.

I hand carried a model boat. I asked if they wanted to X-ray, they just waved me by.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Be prepared to pay the import duty. If you don't get stopped consider it a bonus.

Take care not to stretch it too far. No cigarettes, no alcohol over the limit. Food and appliances are less severe with tax or fine.

At these still quite times the chance might be higher to be checked?

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

Law abiding people importing goods in excess of the allowance should volunteer paying the import taxes and duties, it is after all for the benefit of the state.

If only Royal Thai Customs was "law abiding" I would still have the 2000 or so baht they fingered during one of their crackdown days at BKK, ignoring the published personal allowance for import.????

No changes...    The same x-ray machine is there... 

I’m in and out regularly...  I can’t remember they last time they asked to x-ray my luggage (it did happen once, just one of my bags). 

If brining in more than your allowance, it is of course a risk - that doesn’t stop me brining in a couple of bottles of Whisky that I can’t get in Thailand. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

Law abiding people importing goods in excess of the allowance should volunteer paying the import taxes and duties, it is after all for the benefit of the state.

I love your sarcasm, good one!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pre-covid, 2 or 3 times I brought a cooler bag with me that I checked in when leaving, that I fill with frozen pies from Aus/NZ, then after arriving I just walk through customs with it on my shoulder, didn't get checked.

Edited by MarleyMarl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

X-ray machines in arrivals seem to be same as forever.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

No changes...    The same x-ray machine is there... 

What the OP was referring to were the in-line x-ray machines they had planned to install as part of the arrival baggage conveyor system - you wouldn't be able to see whether they were there or not, since they would be deep inside the bowels of the airport machinery, not out in the open.

Since the machines only have a deterrent effect if people know about them, I'm guessing that they either weren't installed or haven't been switched on, since there's been no discussion of them for several years...but who knows?

A similar system has been used at Incheon for many years; if something suspicious is seen during the scan, your bag comes out on the belt with a device locked onto the handle playing music and flashing lights, alerting the customs officer to send you for further inspection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP... The answer to your question is yes. 

Between 2017 and 2018 Thai Customs at BKK installed 26 high power X-ray scanners to enable them to monitor all checked arrival baggage prior to the baggage being delivered to its respective collection belt.

A smaller number of similar machines has also been installed at Don Mueang, Samui, Chiang Mai and Phuket airports.

FYI.... Current airport X-ray scanners produce images in orange, blue and green. Each colour corresponds to a material category—orange means organic material (food, paper, marijuana), green is for medium-dense non-organic materials like plastic soda bottles, and blue means metals or hard plastics

The machines are AI programmed to identify items within the bag which are of particular interest to Customs.   Bags which have been identified as of possible interest are then automatically routed to a holding area and the x-ray images of the bag are then examined by a Customs Officer who can decide to release the bag or RF tag it so that it can be tracked when it is collected from the belt.  As the bag passes through the red or green exit the Customs Officer(s) are alerted by the RF tag which has been attached to the bag and the owner pulled over for a physical inspection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

Pre-covid, 2 or 3 times I brought a cooler bag with me that I checked in when leaving, that I fill with frozen pies from Aus/NZ, then after arriving I just walk through customs with it on my shoulder, didn't get checked.

Be aware everyone - Thailand brought in huge fines some years back for bringing in any meat products whatsoever undeclared through Thai airports. I got picked up (x-ray) at C Mai  airport with three frozen sausages which I'd thrown in with a six pack of my favourite beer from Oz. I was not aware of the new regulation about "absolutely NO meat" but as I'm fluent in Northern Thai, I managed to talk my way out of it. It was however explained to me by the Customs officer in no uncertain terms that I could have been liable for a fine of many thousands of baht. He explained that cheese is OK, as I had several blocks of that too. I know some folks that regularly brought in salami etc so if you are still doing it, don't, or be prepared to be raped financially. Cheers all.

What are the limits on things other than alcohol (1 liter) and tobacco (200 cigarettes or 250g total all kinds)?  The only thing I see is this:

Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20,000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food

So is that 20K baht worth based on prices in Thailand?  Or 20K baht worth based on price actually paid when purchased?  A piece of cheese that cost $20 US could be worth 3X that here.  Of course, a big chunk of that increase is because of the tariffs paid by the importer.  Do those tariffs go into calculating the local worth of goods? 

I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience with how they actually calculate the worth of goods imported?  And will keeping receipts for purchases help with proving their worth?

19 hours ago, khunjeff said:

A similar system has been used at Incheon for many years; if something suspicious is seen during the scan, your bag comes out on the belt with a device locked onto the handle playing music and flashing lights, alerting the customs officer to send you for further inspection.

Convenient that.  If there's something really dodgy in your bag and you see that on the handle, just rip off the bag tag, leave your bag on the conveyor, and walk out.  ????