Thai pass, health insurance duration

I hope to be entering Thailand in early June , using my Non O retirement visa re-entry permit.  Visa runs out on July 22.  i would hen hope o be allowed to renew it for anoher 12 months.

I know I will be needing health insurance for my Thai Pass, and will buy it from one of the recommended supplier on this forum.

Question is how long should the policy be valid for?

The time until my visa needs to be renewed?  That is less than 60 days depending on my entry date.

Or for the likely time I will be in Thailand?  Possibly for 12 months or longer, depending on my visa being renewed.

I am fully vacced, in Thailand ( 2 jabs + booster) and have Thai vac  passport (yellow book)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only need 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

No. He will need the same time as the length of his visa, ie up to the expiry of his retirement extension ie. about 42 days?

Edited by Card
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

OK, here's the deal.  Theoretically, you need to cover the length of your visa-in your case, 42 days, which means you would have to buy 2 months of insurance.

BUT, some people are getting approved for the Thai Pass, including yours truly, with only the minimum 30 days insurance.  You pays yer money, you take yer chances.

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

1 hour ago, Card said:

No. He will need the same time as the length of his visa, ie up to the expiry of his retirement extension ie. about 42 days?

Stated with confidence 

Sadly incorrect.

30 day cover will be sufficient. 

As you say 30 days has always been sufficient.

Technically it is the period of stay (so he is correct ), practically 30 days is always enough (so he is wrong)

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Technically it is the period of stay (so he is correct )

"for period of stay" ..was never correct.

It just happened to be written in very poorly worded statement. 

People ran with it as if it was some sort of Law. 

Subsequently shown to be incorrect. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crocbait said:

So if I have a new 12month Multi entry Non O spouse visa issued from an Embassy I will only need to purchase a 30 day covid insurance policy? Is this correct?

Correct. 

Currently you would require 30 day covid cover everytime you reenter Thailand.n

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only need 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

ok can you possibly help with this one ..i live permanent in Thailand

im thinking of going to france for a month in july im fully vaccinated inc booster..what would i require to come back into the country ..i currently hold a ID card and have free access to government and military hospital services ..tks 

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

im thinking of going to france for a month in july im fully vaccinated inc booster..what would i require to come back into the country ..i currently hold a ID card and have free access to government and military hospital services ..tks 

It depends on your condition of stay. 
If you are on an annual extension of stay, you require a Thailand pass and insurance for 30 days.

If you have permanent residence you may require less.

9 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

If you have insurance the covers you for medical treatment of covid 19 up to $10,000 you do not need additional insurance. You would only need proof to that coverage.

If insured under Thai social security proof of that would be accepted. 

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

People just don’t get it…the insurance was meant to cover tourists visiting thailand…the expats got caught by poorly written instructions…

The first half of that statement is spot on, I think the second part is a lot more complicated than you try and make out. When it comes to expats there are many other factors and if detailed instructions were required expats would still be waiting, unable to travel.

I seem to recall some time ago someone posted a reply from one of the embassies that "length of stay" was duration until the date of the return ticket. How more detailed would you want, but not the detailed instructions you would want to see.

When I came back last Oct my certificate was for 71 days, the time until my return ticket although I was stamped in until 10th Aug 22. If my certificate was for 30 days would the COE have been approved, nobody is going to know for certain.

It would have been fairly obvious for a long time that periodic changes were to be made so much easier to just address the main issue, tourists, and ignore any insignificant side issues.

Quite amazing how the rhetoric on this issue has altered in the last year.