Hatari fan diagnosis

I have a large Hatari floor fan.

It is 3 speed.

It turns freely and runs fine but only at one speed, regardless of whether 1 ,2 or 3 speed button is pressed.

I have tested the switch and it is working fine.

Capacitor seems ok because is starting and running fine but only on 1 constant speed.

What could be the problem?

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Blow out any dirt in the switch area and make sure dry to start.  Suspect the 3 switch contact to different area of a coil (voltage change) - probably best to have shop fix as should be easy for them to find proper switch and replace.  Fan speeds are controlled by the voltage level in simple units.  I have a fan that was too fast even on low setting so running it from a 110v transformer.  I have not had to repair any Hatari units so not sure what looks like inside.

With test meter easy to find fault area

Depend on model resistances for winding vary 150 to 400 ohm for speed step

Only one switch close for each speed step

Hatari drawing I take from other post here

hataricircit.jpg

17 hours ago, Adumbration said:

but only at one speed

Which is...???

I'd be getting the capacitor tested, well known failure point.(take it out of circuit naturally)

These days a $20 multimeter will have a cap test range included up to around 20uF mark.

Edited by bluejets

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

Which is...???

I'd be getting the capacitor tested, well known failure point.(take it out of circuit naturally)

These days a $20 multimeter will have a cap test range included up to around 20uF mark.

I have a 120 baht multimeter.  Wasn't expecting much for that money but it works a treat.  Had it for couple years now.  But it does not have a farads setting.  It also does not power down automatically so I have wasted several 9v batteries.  

Actually, UNI-T have a model UT33A which is mains rated to Cat 2 which is load side of breakers downwards if you must play with electrics.

Has up to 2000uF cap range as well as many others.

Around AUD$30 many places.

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Why?

Multimeters have a catagory rating which allows the meter to be used safely in varying environments.

A 120 baht meter will never have a valid catagory rating and hence put the user in danger of electric shock.

To save repeating specifics, I included a pdf below that should explain everything.

ABC-meter-safety.PDF

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

Usually slow or single speed problems are caused by the capacitor. Cheap enough at Amorn and easy to replace.

I just replaced a motor on a slow fan because the front bearing was tight. Spin the unpowered fan by hand to check/eliminate bearing issues. Motors are around 500 baht on lazada but be careful to get the right one.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Usually slow or single speed problems are caused by the capacitor. Cheap enough at Amorn and easy to replace.

I just replaced a motor on a slow fan because the front bearing was tight. Spin the unpowered fan by hand to check/eliminate bearing issues. Motors are around 500 baht on lazada but be careful to get the right one.

Motor for 16 inch hatari on Shoppe is 328 baht.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, Adumbration said:

Motor for 16 inch hatari on Shoppe is 328 baht.

And 18" Hatari fan motors are nearer 500 baht.

Be careful when selecting after market fan motors online. Check shaft length, motor body length. the length of the vertical pivot pin as well as the screw fixings on the front face of the motor. I went with a cheaper option on lazada and got a motor that didn't fit because the pivot shaft was too short. Another "stubbed toe" was one that had the face mounting screw holes in the wrong place.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And 18" Hatari fan motors are nearer 500 baht.

Be careful when selecting after market fan motors online. Check shaft length, motor body length. the length of the vertical pivot pin as well as the screw fixings on the front face of the motor. I went with a cheaper option on lazada and got a motor that didn't fit because the pivot shaft was too short. Another "stubbed toe" was one that had the face mounting screw holes in the wrong place.

I have yet to replace a fan motor.  But I have go to vendor on shopee.  Among other things, I bought replacement commutators for my makita grinder and drill.  They both run faster, quieter and cooler than with the original parts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 8:56 PM, Adumbration said:

I have yet to replace a fan motor.  But I have go to vendor on shopee.  Among other things, I bought replacement commutators for my makita grinder and drill.  They both run faster, quieter and cooler than with the original parts.

New brushes on anything will do that.

Sorted out your fan yet?

Edited by NanLaew