Sittichai Pookaiyaudom - He Banned Youtube

Prakanong

Interesting but peculiar guy.

Says "Youtube is not a very essential website" - so Thailand should be restricted to essential websites?

He finds email unnecessary and likes to talk not type.

Son of a Shanghai General who fought for Chiang Kai-shek who left for Thailand in '49 on the even of the communist victory.

He is credited with inventing among other things, a rice mill, the Bangkok taxi meter and his own suicide device should he have an incurable illness.

The current Dean of the Uni he founded say's, "He's kind of a strange man"

He has a collection of 320 guns and always carries a 45 with him when out walking

I wish he would utilise his suicide machine before he can come up whith any more cr*p. :o

ROFL - the mention of it was supposed to be banned from the interview.

He does sound rather eccentric - a dangerous one at that.

First generation Luk Chin too - must have been born not long after he arrived and only got his Thai name at 10

Says "Youtube is not a very essential website" - so Thailand should be restricted to essential websites?

Son of a Shanghai General who fought for Chiang Kai-shek who left for Thailand in '49 on the even of the communist victory.

He is credited with inventing among other things, a rice mill, the Bangkok taxi meter and his own suicide device should he have an incurable illness.

He has a collection of 320 guns and always carries a 45 with him when out walking

If I were in his shoes, I suppose I would do the same. I mean, what with all the friends he's been cultivating...

I suppose getting all those gun permits entailed a simple request to brother Wong in the course of a Wednesday night family & associate dinner/meeting.

Says "You tube is not a very essential website"

<snip>

Does he speak fluent English? Or is this the paper's translation of what he said in Thai?

He went to University in America - I assume he can thus speak some form of English

I worry that making claims to having invented the taxi meter as well as the rice mill may be perceived as being almost usurpitous in nature and coud lead to charges of lese majeste against this rather idiosyncratic character.

I worry that making claims to having invented the taxi meter as well as the rice mill may be perceived as being almost usurpitous in nature and coud lead to charges of lese majeste against this rather idiosyncratic character.

He did tend to go a bit far or at least the article did.

He may have designed a rice mill and he may have worked out the pricing plan for the meters but as for inventing them - would be a first for a Thai to come up with something original!

Mao may have kicked his Dad out of China, but at least sonny gets to launch his own "Cultural Revolution" here in Thailand, by banning youtube and any other website that might come under his "eccentric" radar and bamboo curtain.... :o