Bang and Olufsen music system needs repair

StevieAus

I have a Bang and Olufsen stand alone Music system that needs repair of the playing system but unfortunately parts are no longer available.

It contains five speakers which provide excellent sound and for which reason I do not want to send to the dump

I have been told that it would not be too difficult to modify to using an external player as there is already a plug in point.

I am trying to find someone preferably in Chiang Mai who could carry out the work.

Edited by Jai Dee
Topic title edited

5 speakers - is it a 5.1 surround system? You could just buy a 5.1 channel amp on lazada (with bluetooth). Dont know what plugs are on your speakers but its usually banana connectors - likely plug straight into the new amp. If they are RCA or something else just buy adapters online. 

Can't guarantee anything but give Neo Entertainment a call. They deal in high end gear and if they cant help may be able to redirect to someone who can. They are on Huay Kaew road. tel 053 217 703.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have a Bang and Olufsen stand alone Music system that needs repair of the playing system but unfortunately parts are no longer available.

Have you tried contacting B&O in Bangkok?

They do have a repairs department.

Link1

Link2

Alternatively as others have mentioned, you can save the speakers and connect them to a new 5:1 amplifier or AV receiver.

You just need to check the speakers' impedance (in ohms or Ω) and match them to your new receiver.

If your speakers are older than 10 years old they are likely to have 8Ω impedance... just check on the plate on the back of the speaker.

I'm not sure if your speakers indicate their power handling ability in watts, but if your old "playing system" has a model number on it somewhere, just google it to find out how many watts per channel it output, then specify that when you shop for a new 5:1 amplifier or AV receiver.

You wouldn't want to buy an overpowered amp and potentially destroy your beloved B&O speakers hey?

16 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Have you tried contacting B&O in Bangkok?

They do have a repairs department.

Link1

Link2

Alternatively as others have mentioned, you can save the speakers and connect them to a new 5:1 amplifier or AV receiver.

You just need to check the speakers' impedance (in ohms or Ω) and match them to your new receiver.

If your speakers are older than 10 years old they are likely to have 8Ω impedance... just check on the plate on the back of the speaker.

I'm not sure if your speakers indicate their power handling ability in watts, but if your old "playing system" has a model number on it somewhere, just google it to find out how many watts per channel it output, then specify that when you shop for a new 5:1 amplifier or AV receiver.

You wouldn't want to buy an overpowered amp and potentially destroy your beloved B&O speakers hey?

Thanks for your reply I understand  that with B&O they don’t have a separate amp and it is built into the speakers ??

I admit I don’t understand the technology

I have used those people you mentioned they advised the parts not available 

17 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Can't guarantee anything but give Neo Entertainment a call. They deal in high end gear and if they cant help may be able to redirect to someone who can. They are on Huay Kaew road. tel 053 217 703.

Thanks will give them a calll

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

B&O they don’t have a separate amp and it is built into the speakers

If they are active speakers (plugged in as they need power) then you don't need an amp - just a 5.1 channel audio decoder. 

On 5/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mahseer said:

Thanks