Query - Requirement for proof of 1 Year health insurance policy at application for Non Imm?

All appreciate any advice here. Am being informed we need to show a 1 year health insurance policy for my family & I for our Non Immigrants visa applications that we are applying for outside of Thailand with coverage dated from our arrival date.

We will (only) be covered once the work permit is issued in Thailand (which we are being advised is 2 + weeks AFTER arrival).

My company (like I suspect most?) give benefits including Health Insurance to align with work permit / job start date so won’t be eligible until then. Of course concurrently speaking to my company to figure out if I can get on the benefits pre work permit (but big company / slow processes etc).

What are my other options if that avenue fails?

Thank you in advance!

What type of non-immigrant visa are you talking about? It will help to give you specific advice if you post a link to the the corresponding web page of the Thai embassy or consulate where you plan to apply.

Thank you all. In answer to the questions applying for a Non-immigrant B and non-immigrant O visa applications. Am being requested the following;

A copy of health insurance covering medical expenses including COVID-19 for the entire period of stay in Thailand or at least 1 year at the amount of not less than 100,000 USD.”

3 minutes ago, ReloTH said:

Thank you all. In answer to the questions applying for a Non-immigrant B and non-immigrant O visa applications. Am being requested the following;

A copy of health insurance covering medical expenses including COVID-19 for the entire period of stay in Thailand or at least 1 year at the amount of not less than 100,000 USD.”

That is not really a requirement for a non-b visa for working or a non-o visa for your family members.

The covid 19 insurance has been lowered to $10,000 now and you will really only need 30 days or maybe for 90 days since that is the length of stay your visas allow.

There is certainly no need for $100,000 of insurance for the types of visas you are applying for. That is only needed for a visa based upon retirement.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not really a requirement for a non-b visa for working or a non-o visa for your family members.

The covid 19 insurance has been lowered to $10,000 now and you will really only need 30 days or maybe for 90 days since that is the length of stay your visas allow.

There is certainly no need for $100,000 of insurance for the types of visas you are applying for. That is only needed for a visa based upon retirement.

I noticed the same problem as the OP when trying to apply for non-O from outside of Thailand using the online system. When you arrive at the page for 'supporting documents' one of the requirements is for the 1-year insurance. You can't continue with the application without the required documents (including evidence of £10k in a bank account) and several other documents. It appears that even though UbonJoe is correct, the online application system still requires this evidence. IDK how to get around it outside of Thailand without purchasing the insurance.

I'm going to use the advice previously given to me by UbonJoe and others (many thanks to those) and that is I will arrive visa exempt (with just the minimum $10k insurance cover for 30 days), then obtain my Non-O while in Thailand when I will not require to show evidence of the 1-year cover.

4 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

I noticed the same problem as the OP when trying to apply for non-O from outside of Thailand using the online system.

Were you applying for a non-o visa for marriage or retirement.

For retirement the 10k pounds is correct and the insurance is only 400k/40 insurance for 90 days.

For marriage no amount is defined on the London embassy website but they will accept the equivalent of 20k baht will be accepted and no insurance it required other than the $10,000 covid insurance (30 days).

8 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

I will arrive visa exempt (with just the minimum $10k insurance cover for 30 days), then obtain my Non-O while in Thailand when I will not require to show evidence of the 1-year cover

The way to go..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Were you applying for a non-o visa for marriage or retirement.

For retirement the 10k pounds is correct and the insurance is only 400k/40 insurance for 90 days.

For marriage no amount is defined on the London embassy website but they will accept the equivalent of 20k baht will be accepted and no insurance it required other than the $10,000 covid insurance (30 days).

I was applying for the Non-O visa for marriage, but as mentioned the application required evidence of £10k and insurance.

46 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

I was applying for the Non-O visa for marriage, but as mentioned the application required evidence of £10k and insurance.

Just to confirm ....you have Thai bank account in your name.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to confirm ....you have Thai bank account in your name.

Yes I do, however, I don't yet have the 10k required. The point that I am making is that the online non-O application required that I provide evidence of £10k before it would allow me to continue the application. Weird.

Hence, as you suggested, I will arrive visa exempt, obtain my non-O, load up the Thai bank account (by July) and get the marriage extension. It seems that the online application demands info that is actually not required.

6 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Yes I do, however, I don't yet have the 10k required

My question re Thai bank account is that some overlook this.

They arrive visa exempt and want to obtain non O marriage or retirement.

Yes true only need funds in bank on day of application for non O, however some folk overlook how difficult this can be in recent times to open an account on visa exempt or tourist visa. 

As you have a Thai bank account easy peasy for your non o

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OP again here. Just now tackling the Thailand Pass. Any recommendations on what my family & I should enter in the purpose for visiting question? As context whilst I will ultimately work & my family dependents will be here with me it'll will be several weeks in Thailand before my work visa is approved given that needs to be approved in country.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, I noticed that to turn up 'visa exempt' I need to show proof of at least 20k Baht. Does that mean I actually have to have cash on me, or can I just show my Bualuang i-banking app balance in my Thai Bkk Bank account? A friend of mine was actually locked in a small cell and deported the next day because he didn't have 20k Baht on him, and the ATM machine is the other side of the immigration desks so he couldn't withdraw cash from his Portuguese account!

Cheers.

50 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Just a quick question, I noticed that to turn up 'visa exempt' I need to show proof of at least 20k Baht. Does that mean I actually have to have cash on me

They will only accept 20k baht or the equivalent of it in cash. The will not accept anything else.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will only accept 20k baht or the equivalent of it in cash. The will not accept anything else.

On the Government website it says about 'evidence of funds of at least 20k Baht' and I have a Thai bank account with more than 400k in it.... so to have a print out of this is not sufficient evidence?

Hard to believe that in this day and age of the use of cards and apps instead of cash I actually need to have a wad of cash equivalent to 20k Baht on me when I arrive at the immigration desk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Hard to believe that in this day and age of the use of cards and apps instead of cash I actually need to have a wad of cash equivalent to 20k Baht on me when I arrive at the immigration desk.

20K baht is not a wad of cash. 6/7 100 dollar bills. It's what it is. IOs generally don't ask for that unless they are looking for some reason to deny entry if they found you were a perpetual tourist in Thailand. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1