Question concerning renewing my 1 year extension based on retirement

Hi,

My 1 year extension based on retirement will expire on 24 June. I will apply to renew early on about 26th of this month.

I came to Thailand 5 years ago with a non imm O-A visa.

I would prefer to self insure but for the past few years I have needed health insurance and so have bought what I believe to be the cheapest for 7,700 baht with LMG which is on the Thai approved list.

I have just received my renewal quote again for 7,700 baht. It has the minimum cover required of 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient. I think I also selected that I pay the first 200,000 to reduce the yearly premium to 7,700 baht.

My question is will this health insurance still be OK?

Thank you in advance

Keith

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You insurance meets the requirements for your extension in June since you are applying before September 1st.

Next year it will have to meet the new requirement of $100,000 or 3 million baht.

Joe, Thanks a lot for the clear and quick reply. Much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

I came to Thailand 5 years ago with a non imm O-A visa

At some point in future you might consider killing off your non O-A and obtaining a non O retirement.

Many have due to insurance requirement. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

At some point in future you might consider killing off your non O-A and obtaining a non O retirement.

Many have due to insurance requirement. 

Thanks Dr Jack, I have considered this and actually planned to do a border run to do just that in 2020 but then covid came which made it impossible. Recently I thought it possible but not worth doing considering extra covid checks.  Now I am not sure but I think best to pay the 7,700 baht for another year.

21 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

Now I am not sure but I think best to pay the 7,700 baht for another year

That's a good idea.

You would hope that travel requirements will eventually be back to semi normal.

One more year with the non O-A is a safe play. 

Also your next extension is before Sept 1 so no change in insurance requirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, ubonjoe said:

You insurance meets the requirements for your extension in June since you are applying before September 1st.

My O-A based extension ends Sep 12, 2022 -- but I'll be applying for renewal before Sept 1st (under the 30-45 day lead time provision). Will I need the new coverage requirement, which means a premium of 69000 baht vs. 17000 baht for the old 40/400k coverage? Or is Sept 1st the cutoff date for when renewed extention begins -- or cutoff date for application date?

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Will I need the new coverage requirement, which means a premium of 69000 baht vs. 17000 baht for the old 40/400k coverage? Or is Sept 1st the cutoff date for when renewed extention begins -- or cutoff date for application date?

I am sure it will be based upon the day your current extension ends when you apply for it.

Immigration has not issued anything about the change yet so it is really hard to predict how they will do it.

This from the TGIA site. 

"Renewal (before Sep,1 2022)

The applicant must have the valid local health insurance policy with the minimum of coverage of 400,000 Baht for inpatient treatment and 40,000 Baht for outpatient treatment."

Source: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

• Thanks 1