Underage sex ring in south: Court gives red light for 41 arrests

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the ongoing investigation in Surat Thani into a pedophile sex ring preying on children under the age of 15.

Since the case started to come to light in November of last year after an altercation involving a 13 year old girl at a hotel the dominoes have started to fall.

In total 41 arrest warrants have been issued by a court. This number is made up of 12 "madams" who arranged for children to be offered for sex, 28 customers of the teens and 1 promoter. 

Ten children under the age of 15 are now in care. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Leading figures involved include the son of a local politician who is preparing to talk to investigators. 

Also involved is the Office of the National Anti-Corruption Commission after Thailand's high profile assistant at RTP HQ Pol Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakpan lent his weight behind the investigation. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Had any paedophiles be reading this article they be making a bee-line to the south by now i'm sure...

Really?

Looking at the news that seems to be not unusual all over the country especially involving school teachers and other people who have power over children. 

• Like 2

Just doing what their elders did & made a ton of money.

I agree it should be stamped out & find it repulsive.

As a long term expat that travelled within Thailand in the course of business often

it was pretty much the norm for the "host" to offer a very young lady in amongst the others.

Do as I say, not as I did comes to mind here with the older wealthy generation (& many poor Mothers) who openly flaunted

this law that has always been on the statute books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Court gives red light"

Red light? Like the red light at a junction where vehicles should stop?

It means they warn the government officials and police officers to escape first before they give the green light and arrest those without connections 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

In total 41 arrest warrants have been issued by a court.

too bad it's not 410.  I have a feeling 41 isn't a significant number in Thailand.

What is the penalty if found guilty?  If falang, I'm sure they risk death in jail....or at least fear getting punished by other inmates.  

If Thai, what is the penalty?  I have a feeling it's not extremely harsh.  I hope I'm wrong.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Court gives red light"

Red light? Like the red light at a junction where vehicles should stop?

I was just going to write: "it's GREEN LIGHT." I wonder every day who edits the stuff Aseannow writes. I think nobody. 

• Like 2

It is strange that the police announce in advance that they will get court orders to arrest people. What are those people going to do meanwhile? Pack their bags I guess. How many will be gone by the time the court orders their arrest?

If the police are sure these people can be charged with a crime, why not just pick them up immediately? 

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

It is strange that the police announce in advance that they will get court orders to arrest people. What are those people going to do meanwhile? Pack their bags I guess. How many will be gone by the time the court orders their arrest?

If the police are sure these people can be charged with a crime, why not just pick them up immediately? 

Read my comment ????

7 hours ago, Purdey said:

The suspects have to be given time to put together the money needed to determine who goes to jail and who doesn't.

The crime is abhorrent and we farangs are rightly disgusted by it.  However Thais tend to see it more as a fact of life in Thailand, it always has been, sadly.  Investigations these days are getting better, with far more exposure and outside pressure.