Non O-A extension Health Insurance

RickNew

I just returned from Phuket Immigration to renew my one year Non O-A extension and was told I needed proof of health insurance (original and copy). 

I was told this by two young men who appeared to be interns and they where unable to give me any further information or documentation regarding this requirement. 

I was under the impression this would not start until October and if you had already been in Thailand a certain number of years (i’ve been here 10), you would be grandfathered in and would not need health insurance.

Am I misinformed or has something changed?

if anyone can explain the health insurance requirements or provide a government link for Non O-A extension it would be appreciated.

Thanks

(grumpy old farang comments will not be appreciated)

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Police Order re O-A extensions is here:-

Health insurance - Police Order 548/2562 Criteria - en.pdf - Google Drive

There has been no "grandfathering" since the O-A visa was created.

Actually, Phuket Immigration does have "grandfathering" (see link above), but my understanding is that in most or all of the other immigration offices what you say is correct.

13 minutes ago, RickNew said:

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

this document clearly states Non O-A visa issued before 2017 do not require heath insurance.

Has this changed?? 

It hasn't changed to my knowledge, but it is apparently a policy of the Phuket Immigration office (and one not followed at any other immigration office that I know of) so I guess they could change it at any time.

It's also likely although the link doesn't say this that you must have continuous extensions of stay from the start of the grandfathering; any gaps would likely end the grandfathering.  

The way I understand it if you have had continuous (no gaps) retirement extensions of stay based on an Non-OA visa issued to you before 2017 (read the link for details) then you would not have to show evidence of health insurance at the Phuket Office.  Of course, you should copy those pages in your passport that demonstrate that you have had continuous retirement extensions from your original Non-OA visa when you apply for your new retirement extension.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skatewash said:

It hasn't changed to my knowledge, but it is apparently a policy of the Phuket Immigration office (and one not followed at any other immigration office that I know of) so I guess they could change it at any time.

It's also likely although the link doesn't say this that you must have continuous extensions of stay from the start of the grandfathering; any gaps would likely end the grandfathering.  

The way I understand it if you have had continuous (no gaps) retirement extensions of stay based on an Non-OA visa issued to you before 2017 (read the link for details) then you would not have to show evidence of health insurance at the Phuket Office.  Of course, you should copy those pages in your passport that demonstrate that you have had continuous retirement extensions from your original Non-OA visa when you apply for your new retirement extension.

I got my extension renewed at the end of April this year, without health insurance. My current extension ends May 2023.

My original Non-OA was issued before 2017 (well before!) and I've had continuous retirement extensions since.

I would like health insurance, so if anyone can recommend a good one (doesn't have to be cheap), I would appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:12 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I got my extension renewed at the end of April this year, without health insurance. My current extension ends May 2023.

My original Non-OA was issued before 2017 (well before!) and I've had continuous retirement extensions since.

I would like health insurance, so if anyone can recommend a good one (doesn't have to be cheap), I would appreciate it.

I have had a policy with Pacific Cross for the last two years, fully approved by Immigration office in Hua Hin. I read a lot before purchasing it and many forum members recommend it. I really have no idea how good it is since I've never made a claim. A full medical exam is required, at your expense, to get the policy. I actually wanted a real policy as my American Medicare does not cover me overseas. The policy I got with a 100K thb deductible provides more coverage than Immigration requires.

I pay about 55,000 thb/year at age 71. Like many policies, if you don't have coverage with them before age 75 they won't cover you after that age. If you do they cover you up until 80(?) or so. That's something to look for if it matters to you

LMG is often listed as the cheapest, and it is, that is approved by immigration. No exam is required. It is considered a policy in name only and it's coverage is very limited and probably you would never be able to actually make a claim on it. It's the cheapest way to get the required coverage for Non O-A as far as I know. About two years ago it was 12,000 thb/yr but they don't cover people beyond a certain age, maybe 70.

Good luck.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, RocketDog said:

LMG is often listed as the cheapest, and it is, that is approved by immigration. No exam is required. It is considered a policy in name only and it's coverage is very limited and probably you would never be able to actually make a claim on it. It's the cheapest way to get the required coverage for Non O-A as far as I know. About two years ago it was 12,000 thb/yr but they don't cover people beyond a certain age, maybe 70.

I had LMG health insurance for one year - last year.

Then I discovered that I didn't need it because of the rule about "the original date of the non-OA visa being before 2017".

That cost me 11,400 Bt.

The clue that I didn't need it was when I went for my extension last year, and the immigration officer gave me back the copy of the LMG health insurance certificate that I gave him with all the other documents.  ????  

Edited by JetsetBkk
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anyone has a good agent that can issue policies from multiple companies, that would be appreciated.  I've been with AXA for years, but it seems their coverage has gone down, while prices have gone up.  It's time to renew, so looking for an agent that can send over some sort of comparison of all the companies they represent in a clear and concise format.

I was also at immigration this week. I had a nice chat with the mature official outside and he said the two very young guys in white shirts are interns. So unless they specifically asked someone more experienced it is possible they gave you the official policy - which could be different than the unwritten policy. 

The new guy outside (who replaced the "smiley guy" who had been there for years), was quite personable. I have a new passport and was there to move my stamps over. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I was also at immigration this week. I had a nice chat with the mature official outside and he said the two very young guys in white shirts are interns. So unless they specifically asked someone more experienced it is possible they gave you the official policy - which could be different than the unwritten policy. 

The new guy outside (who replaced the "smiley guy" who had been there for years), was quite personable. I have a new passport and was there to move my stamps over. 

I miss the "smiley guy," but his replacement is OK.  I've never had to deal with the interns yet, but shouldn't be a terrible problem as at this point I've been through the process eight times, muscle memory takes over. ????

On 5/14/2022 at 3:55 PM, skatewash said:

I miss the "smiley guy," but his replacement is OK.  I've never had to deal with the interns yet, but shouldn't be a terrible problem as at this point I've been through the process eight times, muscle memory takes over. ????

The smiley guy moved to room 204 at the first floor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, merijn said:

The smiley guy moved to room 204 at the first floor.

Good to know.  Wondered what happened to him.  I had heard a rumor that his old job as the gate-keeper to Rm 103 was a "punishment" for irritating someone in his chain of command, but it didn't seem like a very severe punishment to me if you liked being out-of-doors and dealing with the public and he seemed to enjoy both of those things.  Best wishes to him in his new location.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, skatewash said:

Good to know.  Wondered what happened to him.  I had heard a rumor that his old job as the gate-keeper to Rm 103 was a "punishment" for irritating someone in his chain of command, but it didn't seem like a very severe punishment to me if you liked being out-of-doors and dealing with the public and he seemed to enjoy both of those things.  Best wishes to him in his new location.

You are not far of the truth ????

Edited by merijn
  • Like 1