Reaction to Marcos becoming the new president

As vote counting in the presidential election still continues in the Philippines, early results show that the country is about to see a return of the Marcos political dynasty.

61709742_303.jpg.75088b0e1f44ff12de847d2eb28e2b21.jpg

Ferdinand Marcos Jr after the results

Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is the son and namesake of the ousted dictator whose name still stirs up memories of corruption and cruelty.

Early results show Marcos is set to take over the presidency from Rodrigo Duterte.

So, what reaction has this result had in the Philippines and abroad so far?

A male voter from northern Philippines said, "He's my president, He's from north. All through the north, they support Marcos because they know Marcos already."

But not all voters supported the new president.

One said, "I'm speaking from my parent's experience of the Marcos regime, and it was terrifying, scary.

My grandfather was held at gunpoint just because he wanted to go to a clinic at night. So, hearing that, like other country's elections, it's terrifying."

The New York Times reported that angry young voters gathered in the Philippines on Tuesday to protest against Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son and namesake of the former dictator, who clinched a landslide victory this week in one of the most divisive presidential elections in the country’s recent history.

Multiple election observers said they had received thousands of reports of election-related anomalies since the vote on Monday.

Malfunctioning voting machines were one of the biggest concerns, with VoteReportPH, an election watchdog, saying the breakdowns had “severely impaired this electoral process.”

Paula Santos, a doctor in training, who was in Manila on Tuesday night said, “Personally, I am scared,” she told officers.

“I am turning twenty-seven and I am scared for our future, especially now that I’m an adult. When I was young, I did not care about politics. But now I am having goose bumps because of fear.”

It seems like in many elections not everyone gets what they had hoped for.

The next six years of President Marco will be particularly important for Filipinos and their country.

Join our 3 x a week Philippines News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php