Jump to content

86 type wall sockets in Thailand?


Recommended Posts

It seems there are two wall type sockets

86 type which is used in the EU

118 type or 120 type which is used in the US.

 

Here is how they look. The drawings are the standards, the dark devices are samples of devices for these standards.

314012547_86-type120-type.png.77753f3659ceed47a7c3545e7ada8d6e.png

 

And here is an article about the different types:

https://www.ywstar-electrical.com/info/what-is-86-type-wall-switch-118-type-switch-s-38218622.html

 

It seems in Thailand they have mostly the 118 or 120 type.

 

I am looking for mains power sockets for Thai or multiple international plugs in 86 type. Where can I find and buy them?

I found hundreds of 120 type and until now only one possible 86 type, and that is out of stock.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/art-dna-a63-switch-design-i385552201.html

https://www.boonthavorn.com/art-dna-1162901

929489532_ARTDNASocketlikelytype86.png.1db87ddfe21a336dc35f1c5a0c442e3d.png

 

Any ideas?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, warrima said:

Not much help perhaps but i got mine in HomePro in Malaysia. Ive changed quite a few appliances to UK plugs as i hate the US type that's here + i have quite a few electrical things i brought from UK or Malaysia. 

Would it not be easier to change the plugs on the appliances than all the sockets in your house?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Would it not be easier to change the plugs on the appliances than all the sockets in your house?

I Didn't say i changed all. I added additional outlets in the kitchen and living room with either UK or universal sockets. When i moved back here from Malaysia i had quite a few nice things like espresso machines that had good quality molded UK plugs installed. I didnt want to cut them off and void warranty etc. The UK plug is a much better connection also - with a good earth. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, warrima said:

I Didn't say i changed all. I added additional outlets in the kitchen and living room with either UK or universal sockets. When i moved back here from Malaysia i had quite a few nice things like espresso machines that had good quality molded UK plugs installed. I didnt want to cut them off and void warranty etc. The UK plug is a much better connection also - with a good earth. 

 

 

That is assuming the wiring behind the sockets is up to scratch and earthed PROPERLY.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That is assuming the wiring behind the sockets is up to scratch and earthed PROPERLY.

Why assume when you test it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, buddy2010 said:

Actually available in every HOME PRO in Thailand 


In Pattaya already bought myself!

I don't think so but please feel free to post a link.

And maybe have a second look at the picture above. The 118 type 120 type (wide, mostly with two sockets) are easily available. Except the one from above I couldn't find the 86 type square format anywhere.

 

Surface-Mount-Wiring-Box-Electric-Wire-O

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think so but please feel free to post a link.

And maybe have a second look at the picture above. The 118 type 120 type (wide, mostly with two sockets) are easily available. Except the one from above I couldn't find the 86 type square format anywhere.

 

Surface-Mount-Wiring-Box-Electric-Wire-O

 

 

Easy enough to find, though embedded screw sockets are not that usual. I don’t currently have the back boxes, here are 2 fronts.

CDB74C08-7EDB-4431-96AF-A1C886192783.thumb.jpeg.4b7ee444c8dc35ade9f1ba7f0182efbe.jpeg8322F01F-CE39-40F6-9568-BBF5CDCEA394.thumb.jpeg.30c7439cc0e3c1674d4a34641de81004.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The actual sockets UK or International type are now illegal to be manufactured or imported since 2020 only old stocks can be sold

So if you see any, snap them up while you can still find them, or order them from China

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

Lazada has a lot too

Do you have some links or words to search for?

Because I searched and I found almost no 86 type sockets.

They have of course a lot of "normal" sockets. But that is not what I am searching for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Thanks, don't ask me why I didn't find them...

 

Sometimes the problem is in the detail. I.e. "your" Nano PDF file shows the square plate 86 x 86. Great! But when I look at their Thai website their "square" products are 70 x 120 and there is no 86 x 86 product on their Thai website.

 

With Häco I found some 86 x 86 products but they seem to be all a cm or more away from the wall and not flush with the wall.

 

Another interesting problem is that even the 86 x 86 maybe don't fit. 

I order this here: https://www.sahndesign.com/product/18362-16639/2-pin-amp-universal-socket

It looks good. BUT the internal part is so big that it doesn't fit in a standard wall box. That is a problem for me because it has to fit...

 

IMG_20220519_110046.thumb.jpg.03b5207065758cf96c7193a5e58d6ad9.jpg

IMG_20220519_110148.thumb.jpg.ee73f357a3f5dd2973403d8bcd86e2de.jpg

 

Yesterday I ordered one from LUZINO on Lazada. Let's see if that fits. If not then I will use your links to search some more...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What I tend to do is buy an extension that has a standard 3 pin US style plug on it (that fits the sockets in my house), but the extension itself has the multi-format sockets on it.

 

I never have enough wall sockets anyway, so this overcomes both problems - multiple sockets that can all take various types of plugs. Doesn't work too well in the kitchen though (in fact can be downright dangerous).

Edited by Woof999
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

What I tend to do is buy an extension that has a standard 3 pin US style plug on it (that fits the sockets in my house), but the extension itself has the multi-format sockets on it.

 

I never have enough wall sockets anyway, so this overcomes both problems - multiple sockets that can all take various types of plugs. Doesn't work too well in the kitchen though (in fact can be downright dangerous).

That works if it is about the type of plugs. That is not the case for me. I need 86 x 86 which fits in the standard 86 x 86 wall box. I have an important reason for that, maybe I publish a picture when I finally found what I am looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

That works if it is about the type of plugs. That is not the case for me. I need 86 x 86 which fits in the standard 86 x 86 wall box. I have an important reason for that, maybe I publish a picture when I finally found what I am looking for.

Understood. I'd personally prefer the UK type plugs for several reasons, but the major safety point (the plastic shield covering the live / neutral terminals that is pushed out of the way by the earth prong on the plug) is missing from most sockets that I've seen in Asia.

 

Good luck with your search anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For our kitchen build I ended up getting the sockets that I wanted online in the UK and getting them sent out here. 

 

Like yourself, I had very specific reasons (Safety). Our Hob-Cooker was ‘touch’ sensitive - i.e. it could be turned on and off accidentally if touched. I wanted a ‘master switch’ (which kitchens have in the UK but don’t here). 

 

The electrician (term used very loosely) figured a mains breaker was sufficient !!! (many of these guys are utter muppets).

 

I couldn’t find anything like this in Thailand - the only option was overseas purchase and take the hit IF there was any tax (there wasn’t). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 11.37.00.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

For our kitchen build I ended up getting the sockets that I wanted online in the UK and getting them sent out here. 

 

Like yourself, I had very specific reasons (Safety). Our Hob-Cooker was ‘touch’ sensitive - i.e. it could be turned on and off accidentally if touched. I wanted a ‘master switch’ (which kitchens have in the UK but don’t here). 

 

The electrician (term used very loosely) figured a mains breaker was sufficient !!! (many of these guys are utter muppets).

 

I couldn’t find anything like this in Thailand - the only option was overseas purchase and take the hit IF there was any tax (there wasn’t). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 11.37.00.png

Many option available for local isolate of modern kitchen power

 

Option - small standard indicator switch in wall with din contactor relay in kitchen cabinet

 

Option - wall switch like btcino mxelec or chang local isolate breaker

 

 

option - Isolate breaker switch local

p7vpsh.png.f495298f6affb636fb120f96961c575c.png

option - contactor relay with panasonic brand indicate switch

 

chint.jpg.a1522f4c28af20e8ee9879ca004e6179.jpg

weg55466u8.jpg.f60c398e85a04caccb42e1770102745c.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Understood. I'd personally prefer the UK type plugs for several reasons, but the major safety point (the plastic shield covering the live / neutral terminals that is pushed out of the way by the earth prong on the plug) is missing from most sockets that I've seen in Asia.

I’ve just checked and all my sockets, apart from the 2 pin and Schuko ones, all have shutters as well as the good quality powerbar extension cable also all the sockets on it have shutters on them. So it probably depends on the amount you pay for your sockets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, don't ask me why I didn't find them...

 

Sometimes the problem is in the detail. I.e. "your" Nano PDF file shows the square plate 86 x 86. Great! But when I look at their Thai website their "square" products are 70 x 120 and there is no 86 x 86 product on their Thai website.

 

With Häco I found some 86 x 86 products but they seem to be all a cm or more away from the wall and not flush with the wall.

 

Another interesting problem is that even the 86 x 86 maybe don't fit. 

I order this here: https://www.sahndesign.com/product/18362-16639/2-pin-amp-universal-socket

It looks good. BUT the internal part is so big that it doesn't fit in a standard wall box. That is a problem for me because it has to fit...

 

IMG_20220519_110046.thumb.jpg.03b5207065758cf96c7193a5e58d6ad9.jpg

IMG_20220519_110148.thumb.jpg.ee73f357a3f5dd2973403d8bcd86e2de.jpg

 

Yesterday I ordered one from LUZINO on Lazada. Let's see if that fits. If not then I will use your links to search some more...

 

Nano not have all products on the website. This is the reason. About this I sent you the catalog link.

Häco has On Wall and In Wall products. https://www.hacothailand.com/ 😉

Sometimes it is easier to use google to find product from Lazada & Shopee!!!

https://bit.ly/3MvLmwB

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Many option available for local isolate of modern kitchen power

 

Option - small standard indicator switch in wall with din contactor relay in kitchen cabinet

 

Option - wall switch like btcino mxelec or chang local isolate breaker

 

 

option - Isolate breaker switch local

p7vpsh.png.f495298f6affb636fb120f96961c575c.png

option - contactor relay with panasonic brand indicate switch

 

chint.jpg.a1522f4c28af20e8ee9879ca004e6179.jpg

weg55466u8.jpg.f60c398e85a04caccb42e1770102745c.jpg

 

None appropriate which is why I ordered from the UK. 

 

The electrician had the same response - just use a breaker or an ugly switch like that. 

 

The kitchen already had a mains breaker for the 3 kitchen circuit, but that wouldn’t prevent the cooker from accidentally being turned on. 

 

 

I wanted a visible and dedicated ‘switch’ for the cooker... one which was near to the cooker, which could be seen easily, also one which looks like it belongs in a designed kitchen and not in a factory or (sorry to say it) a crappy looking house.... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

None appropriate which is why I ordered from the UK. 

Did you not read in the post where he said:

 

"Option - small standard indicator switch in wall with din contactor relay in kitchen cabinet."

 

I think this would be a more attractive option (to me)  in a custom-kitchen than the UK product you used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
On 5/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

None appropriate which is why I ordered from the UK. 

Did you not read in the post where he said:

 

"Option - small standard indicator switch in wall with din contactor relay in kitchen cabinet."

 

I think this would be a more attractive option (to me)  in a custom-kitchen than the UK product you used. 

I did....   and I responded... None appropriate which is why I ordered from the UK...

 

i.e. I ordered ‘exactly’ what I wanted not something which may work as a substitute...  I wanted something noticeable so I my Wife and I can see IF the cooker is switched on from across the kitchen. 

 

The UK switch is the perfect solution (also has a red light on it when on)... Ordering from the UK was simple enough (I can’t recall if I ordered directly from Amazon to Thailand or Amazon to family address and they send it over). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...