Garbage!

khall64au

One of the biggest topics I have seen on THAIVISA concerns garbage disposal:

Will we learn from prior threads or keep hashing over past topics?

OR

CAN we make a difference and create NEW GARBAGE DISPOSAL ideas across Thailand?

:o

Or, to phrase it more kindly, what positive impact do we expect ourselves to have upon a proven xenophobic society, when we are such a small, transitory and foreign portion of the population here? We can lead by example, not litter, try to recycle, encourage those few Thais with whom we have real influence, etc. But let's not expect to perform miracles.

Do you think Thais will appreciate expats with ideas?

Probably. If people have good ideas and were being listened to back home, there is a chance that they will be listened to here.

If ignored back home, probably will be ignored here, for the same reason of being unable to make a convincing argument (probably needing to be in Thai).

FOr most of the complaints about garbage, the reality is that Thais probably recycle as much or more than many western countries at a guess; the grey economy separates out many of the parts that would end up in tips elsewhere; go to Kong toey for proof of this; or check out the paper collection guys.

For biodigesters, tip gas, etc, one of the major issues is the amount of plastic; with lots of things in plastic it is mighty hard to harvest the biodegradable matter inside.

For power consumption, Thailand used to be quite good; upcountry still is, but every time another foreigner comes in and starts using the aircon non stop and has hot water showers, well let's say it isn't helping the environment.

For fuel/diesel/etc; the increased fuel price has sped up conversion to natural gas/LPG which is a better alternative to diesel/petrol - the issue of sorting out large trucks and whatever is a tough one to solve, it isn't ignored but involves sorting out many huge numbers of layers of corruption to solve. Even countries like USA are being hoodwinked about fossil fuels and are pursuing the unobtainable fuel cell car which makes little sense so there is little hope there.

For just good old trash on the side of the street; well being a responsible person, trying to educate those around you and picking up stray trash you see; if everyone does a little, it does and can make a difference. Doing it with a smile and encouraging kids is probably the best way to go. If working as a teacher, spending a 20 minute break picking up trash around the school and giving a prize to the team which collects the most is something we did at a to academic school back home (i.e. we weren't too proud to pick up trash) and most likely would work here too.

Lots of small steps, I totally don't get the xenophobia point, IMHO people who get listened to abroad, get listened to here IF they have something wise and worthwhile to listen to. Problem is that most foreigners here are the type you would ignore abroad, and a few come here and spout off without really knowing how to address the problem. After listening to 99 bozos, it is mighty hard to be bothered staying around to hear the one person with a good idea.

We all know the problem. We want the solution, not platitudes about trash!!!

So...come up with a good idea, and i for one will promote it; maybe others will too!

One of the biggest topics I have seen on THAIVISA concerns garbage disposal:

Will we learn from prior threads or keep hashing over past topics?

OR

CAN we make a difference and create NEW GARBAGE DISPOSAL ideas across Thailand?

:o

get used to it, as you been around long enough to know about threads being rehashed again and again, so whats new on the forum.?

just wait 1 minute as im going to fire a new one the punters way. :D

Or, to phrase it more kindly, what positive impact do we expect ourselves to have upon a proven xenophobic society, when we are such a small, transitory and foreign portion of the population here? We can lead by example, not litter, try to recycle, encourage those few Thais with whom we have real influence, etc. But let's not expect to perform miracles.

here we go again with the old xenophobia issue. :D

i mean where do you guys hang out to form these opinions and paint the whole thai society as xenophobic.?

im in hua hin for the first time, and ive met some wonderful friendly locals.

when i read threads where some punter is tarnishing thai society as xenophobic its makes me cry with laughter.

anyway, i know im way of topic here, but so are you raising the subject of xenophobia as its got frig all to do with bloody garbage disposal.

thank you very much. :o

terry, the original post asked, "CAN we make a difference...?" The next post asked, "Do you think Thais will appreciate expats with ideas?" I thought I was on topic. I find that when most Thais get to know most reasonably acting foreigners well, they are still resistant to adopt suggestions. For what it's worth, the polls that attempt to measure perceived xenophobia have put Thailand near the top of the world's list, recently.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Thailand is the least resistant country to foreigners, in all the world. Maybe Thais normally look to foreigners for advice, and adopt their suggestions.

So, what suggestions can we make, as farang, which will be adopted by Thais?

There is a very good idea here; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1366921

starting with post#32 from pumpuiman.

There is one person that the Thai nation would take notice of.

It may take a generation or so, but as has been shown in other countries it is possible to make people take pride and feel conciencious about their country.

How do you keep an idea like this afloat though and how do you get Thai's to accept the idea as their own and take it further?

How many active members are there on Thaivisa? 10,000? More?

We all care about Thailand, do you think someone might listen to us?

Would it be appropriate to start a friendly campaign?

Edited by Robski

Ok well that's still 1000 people, hardly a lone voice in the wilderness.

General topics is always full of complaints, we even have threads about it!

Lets do something constructive so it is not all just hot air, with Georges consent of course.

We all love Thailand right? Lets try and give something back. Something peaceful, something constructive, maybe we can build some bridges with Thai people and show that we care about their country too.

Nothing was ever achieved by anyone who said it can't be done.

Or are you just going to sit there and carry on complaining or take from Thailand what you will and say the rest is not your problem.