So what do you think ?

My daughters class (G1) are practicing for the end of year concert and the chosen song is Bruno Mars "Count on me ".

Now the parents have decide to purchase some t-shirts for all the kids with some of the lyrics on to wear during the performance, and there have been some design suggestions on the parent line group.

However the most popular design has the words "You count on me", the actual correct lyrics are "You can count on me". Not correct right.

Now i am seen as the awkward foreigner for pointing out the error, with some parents stating "no problem" in that uniquely Thai way.

Maybe i am being a touch picky, however this is an International school where we pay good money in the hope our kids are being taught correctly.

Surely having them walk around in T-shirts that are incorrect sends out the wrong message ? What would the teachers think of us as parents. ?

Am currently of the opinion i will buy same colour etc but with correct wording, but maybe i am being too picky and should just go with the flow ?

What say you ?

• Haha 2

What say me ???....  I think Thai’s are correct when they sometimes say...  ‘farang think too much’ !!! 

....  A least the kids didn’t go for Bruno Mars' Gorilla.... 

Oh I got a bottle full of liquor with a cocaine 
Kicker and I'm feeling like I'm thirty feet tall 
So lay it down, lay it down 
You got your legs up in the sky with the devil in your eyes.... :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

You are being to picky.... just go with the flow...

Save the arguments for something of importance.

I am being diplomatic here, i would get banned if i said what i really think!

How about i add a disclaimer that i won't get upset no matter what you say and you go right ahead and say what you really think ?

Or would you have to use naughty words ?

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Your kid would melt if you complained, go with the flow and explain to your kid.

Agree, this what i had decided to do.

However the design is going to be changed now after one of the TA's commented on the group about the lyrics....so i was not the only picky fecker  ???? 

• Like 1

I think, as long as it is grammatically correct and no spelling errors, it serves its purpose of teaching the language. No need to be a stickler to detail as what the actual song title is. Everything has to be cheap in Thailand, even at international schools, so I very much doubt that they are going to reorder.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I think, as long as it is grammatically correct and no spelling errors, it serves its purpose of teaching the language. No need to be a stickler to detail as what the actual song title is. Everything has to be cheap in Thailand, even at international schools, so I very much doubt that they are going to reorder.

Was only at the design stage and parents will be paying, basically parents group drew up the designs and voted. 

Designs were fine just the wrong lyrics, as stated they are being changed now and i can now sleep at night.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

However the most popular design has the words "You count on me", the actual correct lyrics are "You can count on me". Not correct right.

If they're doing the can, can dance - no issues. Obv' everyone will see the pun. They've added the can

If not change schools - and you can   ????

Edited by Pmbkk

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, Bangkokhatter said:

however this is an International school where we pay good money in the hope our kids are being taught correctly.

You get what you pay for. This school is likely a 4th tier inyernational school if you need to deal with a majority of Thai parents. The standard for a school to be able to maintain an International classification is it must have 70% of the students must be from an international homeland. Too many schools now call themselves international and they usually get away with it until the MOE goes and gives it accreditation... then, the school often changes its name to something like _ _ _ international academy   ... something or other.

Just let the Thais win this one... judging by your OP the event is surely over... how did it work out. Always nice to have an update after the fact.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:26 AM, Pouatchee said:

You get what you pay for. This school is likely a 4th tier inyernational school if you need to deal with a majority of Thai parents. The standard for a school to be able to maintain an International classification is it must have 70% of the students must be from an international homeland. Too many schools now call themselves international and they usually get away with it until the MOE goes and gives it accreditation... then, the school often changes its name to something like _ _ _ international academy   ... something or other.

Just let the Thais win this one... judging by your OP the event is surely over... how did it work out. Always nice to have an update after the fact.

Where does that leave Harrow then? Most kids are Thai. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Where does that leave Harrow then? Most kids are Thai. 

Most likely the kids are dual citizens learning on their expat passport. The rules are the rules and international accreditation requires 70% expat students. How does Harrow get around that? Ask them see what they say....I surely would like to know.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...