Advice for Thai student leaving to Australia for studies

A friend's daughter, Thai National, will leave to Australia (Melbourne) for studies, in a couple of months. I would like to have some recommendations about the following, which will be of immense help.

1. Can she open a bank account on a students visa? If yes, what's the best bank that can be recommended for money transfers from Thailand?
  2. What would be the best method for her parents to transfer money from Thailand.
  3. Any possibility of finding reliable student accommodation in the vicinity of the College?

Thank you in advance.

What univerisity is she attending?  All universities in Australia have student accomodation officers.  They will also have student unions.  The email contacts should be easy enough to find online once you identify the institution she will be attending.

Is she planning on becoming a "little ghost".

• Like 2

The Big 4 all offer bank accounts to international students.

Here's a link to Westpac.

https://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/transaction/choice/international-student/

The university will probably have some form of student accommodation, and it will range in price.  Or, there are various noticeboards on campus advertising for share accommodation.  She would probably be able to find some ads online as well.  

The best advice I could give here is, bring warm clothing.  ????  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

What univerisity is she attending?  All universities in Australia have student accomodation officers.  They will also have student unions.  The email contacts should be easy enough to find online once you identify the institution she will be attending.

Is she planning on becoming a "little ghost".

1. What university is she attending?

Greenwich College
Level 8, 120 Spencer Street 
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Australia

2. Is she planning on becoming a "little ghost".

???? No - will be there for just over one year!

• Like 1

Firstly, I am an Australian, and I have lived in Melbourne ... apologies ????

I have a Westpac Bank account - and have used it to readily transfer money between Thailand and Australia - it generally takes about 3-4 hours for the transfers to be received at the other end.  She can open an account with Westpac, but she will need her Thai passport, maybe Thai ID card would help, and possibly some document with her Australian address on it - I am not familiar with the current requirements.  You can check the Westpac Bank new accounts page.

From map on the Greenwich College website, it is in the heart of Melbourne.  Any accommodation in inner Melbourne will be very expensive.

The 2 main universities within a few kms of the College are Melbourne University and the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University.  Both have a large number of international students,  Melbourne University used to have a large Thai students association a few decades ago, I do not know if it still exists.

I suggest your friend do a Facebook search for Thai student associations at the universities in Melbourne; she could post there to get further information on accommodation near her College, and other aspects about living in Melbourne.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Talk to the staff at he college/university* who are there to help/guide/advise incoming foreign students.

*Australia doesn't use the word college for university.

But it could be a college if it's a diploma type program rather than an undergraduate university program. Diploma usually being one level under an undergraduate university (bachelor degreee) program. 

Most/probably all universities etc., provide very good services (in some staes it's required by law and the quality of the services is monitored) for incoming foreign students. I'm aware of some, they would provide clear specific answers to all of the 3 questions above. In terms of accommodation the university student adviory staff will have good suggestions and not necessarily expensive options.    

Has she registered and been accepted into a program? Does she already have a student visa?

If she has/gets a student visa, make sure she fully understands the regulations around maintaining contact with the Aust. immigration people and make sure she understands that no or poor attendance, poor grades etc., will quickly jeopadise keeping her visa.

Make sure she understands it's not 'Thai style'. In Australia 'mai pben rai' 'never mind' isn't accepted.  

E.G. No or poor student attendance is reported daily/electronically to immigration and immigration officers will visit her very quickly. If she's changed her address and hasn't immediately advised immigration she's in trouble. 'But I was busy', won't be accepted.

If she's never been outside of Thailand before ensure she does understand that:

- 'sorry I forgot',

- 'but I had a headache for 1 week", 'Did you go to the doctor?' 'No, because my friend takes care of me' etc.

...are NOT accepted.

Try and play games with immigration and she will find herself packing her bags while immigration officers watch (usually after one warning) then they will take her to the airport and wait until the aircraft departs. 

Thank you very much for your very helpful response.

Has she registered and been accepted into a program? Does she already have a student visa? - Yes to both questions.

As per a post above, showing some bad reviews about this institution, is there any 'protection' for the foreign student in case of a genuine dispute? Or will the student be just sent home?

Edited by ravip
Add more

The local uni student union office will help with all sorts of things.

Very helpful.
yes a student visa holder with an address (lease agreement often is asked for for proof of tenancy), passport, and proofs of student visa etc can hold an account in Oz.

As an Aussie I can say the Oz banks are all pretty much the same regarding fees and charges.

I'd not go with a smaller bank for opening and account as they can be less efficient where international transfer of funds clearing times can be 3 or more days.

There are usually credit union attached to universities and these offer good conditions for account holders.

DeeMoney and Transferwise are good options to move funds to their account and (in my opinion from using them personally) offer very good consistent levy rates for moving your money). 

It doesn't matter which state or city she is in ... the processes for banking in Aussie are pretty much the same. It's not like the e.g. US where States vary in their fundamental banking processes its very standardised in Oz.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

The local uni student union office will help with all sorts of things.

Very helpful.
yes a student visa holder with an address (lease agreement often is asked for for proof of tenancy), passport, and proofs of student visa etc can hold an account in Oz.

As an Aussie I can say the Oz banks are all pretty much the same regarding fees and charges.

I'd not go with a smaller bank for opening and account as they can be less efficient where international transfer of funds clearing times can be 3 or more days.

There are usually credit union attached to universities and these offer good conditions for account holders.

DeeMoney and Transferwise are good options to move funds to their account and (in my opinion from using them personally) offer very good consistent levy rates for moving your money). 

It doesn't matter which state or city she is in ... the processes for banking in Aussie are pretty much the same. It's not like the e.g. US where States vary in their fundamental banking processes its very standardised in Oz.

Transferwise to Oz? 

No wise transfer to Oz yet, I transfer from my kbank to my Citibank through my phone app or online very easily,  Krungsri does it as well but is more expensive,  westpac is the same. If you are in BKK   check if you can use citibank and do international transfers internally. In Oz you can use citibank at NAB as they are taking over operation of them soon. 

There is a Thai community in inner Melbourne with restaurants in Richmond and Footscray, as well as fresh markets. 

• Like 1

I watch an Aus. TV programme called Target (at least in France it's called that).  It's about Customs and Immigration at all the Aus. airports.  They seem to have a special eye on Thai and Malay students.  Immigration ring up the lodging, the education place everything.  One story.....the Thai girl had missed several classes, hadn't turned for the weekly exam, hadn't been accepted for the next term, and so on.  You must keep sweet withe education place.  On the plane back to LOS the same day.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I watch an Aus. TV programme called Target (at least in France it's called that).  It's about Customs and Immigration at all the Aus. airports.  They seem to have a special eye on Thai and Malay students.  Immigration ring up the lodging, the education place everything.  One story.....the Thai girl had missed several classes, hadn't turned for the weekly exam, hadn't been accepted for the next term, and so on.  You must keep sweet withe education place.  On the plane back to LOS the same day.

Fake as the old Australian Embassy program about helping  dumb Oz tourists in the goo in Thailand! 

Well they are in the airports and the people are Brits, people who have come from NZ, middle east, US.  Anyway even if it is fake, it does show what could happen.    Or rather what DOES happen.    And I can assure you they don't seem to help anyone.

7 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Shows are real

15 hours ago, ravip said:

1. What university is she attending?

Greenwich College
Level 8, 120 Spencer Street 
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Australia

2. Is she planning on becoming a "little ghost".

???? No - will be there for just over one year!

https://www.greenwichcollege.edu.au/your-life-in-australia/melbourne-accommodation

https://www.student.com/au/melbourne/u/greenwich-english-college-melbourne

I hope your Thai friends are cashed up.  The cheapest dog box shared ROOM I could find was the equivalent of 28K THB per month.  Her own room is 4 or 5 times more.

• Thanks 1

What I understood about study in Australia is a waste of money: you pay premium for being International student, massive accommodation fees and overall cost of living. Uni of Queensland? of Sidney? even good forsaken Tasmania University is way too expensive. 

We end up with Singaporean Institute - better quality of education and almost half price. 4 years.

PS: What is the program that lasts only a single year?