Water pump issues

djlest

The water pump seems to stop working every day. To get it working again requires turning off the pump breaker, waiting 5 min then turning breaker back on. The breaker is not tripping out.

the pump is on a 10a breaker and its the following pump.

any ideas on potential issues?

i have checked toilets for leaks incase the pump itself has an auto shut off. No visible leaks.

problem started just this week.

however i did notice the pump would start quite regularly even when no water was being used, i just put that down to pressure drop from the 2 floor. Im not too familiar with this type of water system to be honest.

any ideas,?FCFD5D0F-ABD4-4C36-B28A-3F9FC149712D.thumb.jpeg.012fdb3b1cdcf7648dd1d38c18b5d991.jpeg

84908B33-5E46-451B-B5F4-8D87D2C941B8.jpeg

B5DD5543-7877-4193-8F7A-066905B28262.jpeg

Is the pump running a long time before shutting down?  They self shut down when they get hot.  Usually that is from a dry tank.

42 minutes ago, djlest said:

however i did notice the pump would start quite regularly even when no water was being used,

That is almost always from a leak somewhere.  If the frequency is short, that could be what makes the pump get hot.

Definitely worth checking again for leaks.

Is the tank full / refilling ok?

Your regular re-start could also be a leaky check-valve on the inlet side, you can sometimes hear them gurgling when the pump is off.

Your overheating could also be a bad capacitor, they're cheap and easy to replace so swapping it out wouldn't hurt.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Crossy said:

Definitely worth checking again for leaks.

Is the tank full / refilling ok?

Your regular re-start could also be a leaky check-valve on the inlet side, you can sometimes hear them gurgling when the pump is off.

Your overheating could also be a bad capacitor, they're cheap and easy to replace so swapping it out wouldn't hurt.

Thanks crossy great info, much appreciated.