Romanian tourist falls to death from Na Mueang waterfall while taking photos in Koh Samui yesterday afternoon

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Surat Thani – A 23-year-old Romanian tourist fell to her death from a cliff at the Na Mueang waterfall on Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Saturday afternoon, May 14th.

Samui police rushed to the Na Muang waterfall around 3:00 PM. after being alerted of the incident of a foreign female tourist who was seriously injured after falling from the cliffs on the fourth level of the waterfall.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Unfortunately, the woman was pronounced dead by the time the officers and rescuers arrived. 

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/05/15/romanian-tourist-falls-to-death-from-na-mueang-waterfall-while-taking-photos-in-koh-samui-yesterday-afternoon/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jerno said:

RIP.  But then, what an idiot. Addicted to selfies and social media, posting selfies.  It's ridiculous but hundreds of millions in the same mindset. I simply don't get it.  Do you?

How do you know she was taking  selfies?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Not known if she was only taking selfies, she was taking photos according to the linked article:

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/05/15/romanian-tourist-falls-to-death-from-na-mueang-waterfall-while-taking-photos-in-koh-samui-yesterday-afternoon/:

• According to her male friend, she was traveling with two of her male friends and slipped while taking photos.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drgoon said:

Quote from the post:

Unfortunately, the woman was pronounced dead by the time the officers and rescuers arrived. According to her male friend, she was traveling with two of her male friends and slipped while taking photos

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Quote from the post:

Unfortunately, the woman was pronounced dead by the time the officers and rescuers arrived. According to her male friend, she was traveling with two of her male friends and slipped while taking photos

I did read that thanks.

3 hours ago, Jerno said:

RIP.  But then, what an idiot. Addicted to selfies and social media, posting selfies.  It's ridiculous but hundreds of millions in the same mindset. I simply don't get it.  Do you?

Maybe you and I don't get it because we have some common sense.

Maybe she wasn't taking selfies, but it's a reasonable guess that she was.

In any event she was not sufficiently self-aware when being so close to danger.

That's one thing that kills so many on the roads here.

It can and does happen all over the world. I think it indisputable that cell phone cameras have killed/injured more people than any other type in history.

I was there yesterday. Observed group of tourists taking chances climbing this beautifull waterfall. On the way back I saw ambulance and rescue cars arriving via very steep road leading to waterfall. Was told there was an accident. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jerno said:

Selfie is not mentioned, but taking photo. However, there was an accident a few years back due to selfies, there have unfortunately been a number of fatal accidents at our waterfalls on Samui. Climbing - or walking around - on a waterfall with wet slippery stones can be dangerous, very dangerous.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jerno said:

Calling a dead person "an idiot"?

Classy!

I have lived on Samui for 12 years (less than 4Km from that waterfall).....

I am glad to say I have never attempted to go up there as I was warned many years ago by locals just how dangerous it is!

Young and foolish or Just Bad Luck?

Poor Girl! RIP

18 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

There's average two deaths by waterfalls on Samui each year. 

So I was told. Samui waterfalls are some of the best in the country but access to many of them is perilous.

Visited Khun Si waterfall where Czech tourist plunged to his death back in 2018. A bunch of western backpackers clearly ignored the warning not to go beyond the barrier featuring a photo of the victim and the written warning. Screengrab from my GoPro:

GH010338.MP4_000003319.png

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:04 AM, hotchilli said:

Quote from the post:

and?? what's your point?  

On 5/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, RichardColeman said:

What's the alternative ? That she was too involved in looking at the view and not her feet or she told her friends she was too close for the photo and took a step backwards ? 

Nobody knows do they.  Certainly not the expert who made the selfies comment. 

On 5/16/2022 at 11:35 PM, BMW Overlander said:

So I was told. Samui waterfalls are some of the best in the country but access to many of them is perilous.

Visited Khun Si waterfall where Czech tourist plunged to his death back in 2018. A bunch of western backpackers clearly ignored the warning not to go beyond the barrier featuring a photo of the victim and the written warning. Screengrab from my GoPro:

GH010338.MP4_000003319.png

Really could do with a new sign , something a bit more noticeable and prominent and maybe a fence as well