Sage

mpdkorat

I'm trying to get the Thai name for the herb sage "Salvia Officinalis" I believe it might be Yah Han Noo. Any assistance appreciated.

Salvia, is that not the 'legal' alternative to pot? :o:D

Salvia Officinalis is just plain culinary garden sage used for cooking with fatty meats such as pork.

My English Thai dictionary shows Sage as พืชจําพวกสะระแหน่ sà-rá-nàe which is mint/peppermint not sage so that didn't help much.

Yah Han Ngoo หญ้าหางงู (Snake tail grass)seems to be some sort of regional grass from Chiang Rai. Not having much luck here guys.

I'm trying to get the Thai name for the herb sage "Salvia Officinalis" I believe it might be Yah Han Noo. Any assistance appreciated.

Some things just don't grow around here and so the Thais have no words for it. You have to go to some Farang store or bring it back with you from home. Examples would be Krachai - a Thai root spice that is related to khing and kha (ginger and galangal respectively). Indeed we only say galangal because we've borrowed that word from Indonesia or something. Why would wee have a name for something we don't know, grow, eat, or ever see ?? Same with apple or beet, the Thais just call it by its Western name. And just by odd chance they import apples, and then grow beets up north in the cold season. A rare case where you have our words used for our things. But no Thai equivalents. You are likely S.O.L.

Some things just don't grow around here and so the Thais have no words for it. You have to go to some Farang store or bring it back with you from home. Examples would be Krachai - a Thai root spice that is related to khing and kha (ginger and galangal respectively). Indeed we only say galangal because we've borrowed that word from Indonesia or something. Why would wee have a name for something we don't know, grow, eat, or ever see ?? Same with apple or beet, the Thais just call it by its Western name. And just by odd chance they import apples, and then grow beets up north in the cold season. A rare case where you have our words used for our things. But no Thai equivalents. You are likely S.O.L.

If that is the case thanks. Explains why it has been so difficult to get any reference to it. Thais do seem to use sage extract for cosmetic oils though, but not for making Pork Pies or sausages.

As I know, In Bangkok and Cooking Programme (TV) call Sage as "sage" เซจ or ใบเซจ"Bai Sage" (Bai ใบ = leaf)

I found it online as เซ็จ and mainly in reference to extracts used in health/beauty products. My guess is that the few Thai people that would regularly say the word probably are aware of the correct English pronunciation even though as Meadish points out the Thai spelling makes it come out as Sed. I could be wrong.

Edit: and it appears that indeed I am :o

Edited by withnail

ok ..I put veggies' names that we TH just use farang's words

Green Oak (กรีนโอ๊ค)

Red Oak (เรดโอ๊ค)

Red Coral (เรด คอรัล)

Butterhead (บัตเตอร์เฮด)

Frillice lceberg (ฟรีไลซ์ ไอซ์เบิร์ก)

Green Cos (กรีนคอส)

Rocket (ร็อกเก็ต)

Parsley (พาร์สลี่ )

Silverbeet (ซิลเวอร์บีท)

Mizuna (มิซูน่า)

Tatsoi (แททซอย)

Watercress (วอเตอร์เครส)

Alfalfa (อัลฟาฟ่า)

Rosemary (โรสแมรี่),

Sage (เซจ)

Tarragon (ทารากอน)

Thyme (ไธม์ )

Green Oak (กรีนโอ๊ค)

Red Oak (เรดโอ๊ค)

Red Coral (เรด คอรัล)

Butterhead (บัตเตอร์เฮด)

Green Cos (กรีนคอส)

Rocket (ร็อกเก็ต)

Parsley (พาร์สลี่ )

Silverbeet (ซิลเวอร์บีท)

Mizuna (มิซูน่า)

Tatsoi (แททซอย)

Watercress (วอเตอร์เครส)

Alfalfa (อัลฟาฟ่า)

Rosemary (โรสแมรี่),

Sage (เซจ)

Tarragon (ทารากอน)

Thyme (ไธม์ )

Thanks again guys and bambi

• 3 weeks later...

I find this web site to be helpful in finding Thai names for various spices. Unfortunately, it doesn't give the Thai name for sage but might be useful to you in the future. I did notice that Lotus (Khonkean) has dry sage available.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Salv_off.html

• 4 years later...

Green Oak (กรีนโอ๊ค)

Red Oak (เรดโอ๊ค)

Red Coral (เรด คอรัล)

Butterhead (บัตเตอร์เฮด)

Green Cos (กรีนคอส)

Rocket (ร็อกเก็ต)

Parsley (พาร์สลี่ )

Silverbeet (ซิลเวอร์บีท)

Mizuna (มิซูน่า)

Tatsoi (แททซอย)

Watercress (วอเตอร์เครส)

Alfalfa (อัลฟาฟ่า)

Rosemary (โรสแมรี่),

Sage (เซจ)

Tarragon (ทารากอน)

Thyme (ไธม์ )

Thanks

Is n't พาร์สลี่ used for a variety of veggies??

Parsley,chervil, dill ( on Onnut market they call it pakchee Lao :P) and also sometimes for a vegetable, looking like small celery??

Salvia, is that not the 'legal' alternative to pot? :o:D

Your thinking of salvia divinorum. Certainly a euphoria-inducing herb with hallucinogenic properties - and in a lot of places it is 'legal" - but calling it an alternative to pot is a big stretch. Pot can give people a pleasant buzz for over a relatively long period of time, salvia makes you completely disassociate and trip balls for like 10mins and brings you right back with pretty much no lingering effect. Same genus as the traditional sage spice though.