A Realy Great One

highdiver

:o Thanks, Highdiver. I've got many friends that inundate me with trivia mail, but never seen this one. I love some of the comments here: Soundman and "tough titties" when you fall over (haven't heard that in a coon's age; probably non-PC now), and Qwertz, are you either on or off the vodka today? Whatever, keep posting like that, please. Bladdy brilliant repostes.

We all shared a pop when I was young, but I remember one kid always wiped the top off with his shirt sleeve before he took a swig. TV was The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday nights at 8pm, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Bonanza and Get Smart (86, you there?). 45 records on a cheap mono player. You sulked or cried and you were sent to bed. You did something naughty and you got an instant lickin on the backside with the belt, wooden spoon or fly swatter.

And I only had to walk a mile to school, 40 below weather or not (Mom had to walk 5).

Kick the can, dress up Granma's kittens, tobagganing, ice hockey at the outdoor rink with boys half my age and twice my size who broke my arm one year (wonkers went on to be NHL players).

Well, I'm glad I got that over with and now I can grow old with the Internet. And not go to Albania. I saw that movie, Hostel. Oh, that was Slovakia.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was pointed out to me not too long ago that I always always refer to the refrigerator as the 'icebox' which is of course a carryover from the 40's when we used ice for cooling food before the electrical refrigerator became common. As of late, I have tried to break myself of the habit with little success . Everyone seems to know what I am refering to when I use that term however I am not sure if other people also still use that term since it sounds so natural to me that I would not even notice if they did ??

Now you mention it, never thoughtof it before but the Germans say Kühlschrank which translates to cool cupboard.

They also often say Rechner for computer.

Technology overtaking vocabulary.

Quote Jet: Qwertz, are you either on or off the vodka today? Whatever, keep posting like that, please. Bladdy brilliant repostes.

Bloody hel_l, Jet, how did you know I was at the vodka?

You're psychic you are. :o

P.S. just got back from Slovakia. It sucks. I'll take Albania.

Edited by qwertz

This is your ideal man, JG?

It's a scam, he's really a fashion model from Italy.

I know 'cos they're all bow legged with bulbous noses and warty faces in Slovakia.

And that's just the women.

I'm disgusted, where's me vodka.

P.S. I saw some of those coloured things too, after sampling a bottle of the local slivovitz; nothing else to do there.

Edited by qwertz

I don't want to see the film.

I've been there.

Ugh.

Hey Jet, back on topic, bet you don't know what Derbac soap and nit combs are.

After all these years I can still smell that soap.

It's with me for life.

Edited by qwertz

It's trite and old but still relevant and so true. When I look at the way my children are growing up I fear for them. They don't have the freedom to investigate their neighbourhood like we did. I wouldn't let them cross the roads on their own for all the money in the world. Nor can they go to Wanstead Flats and fish for tiddlers and keep them in a kia-ora bottle until they liquidise (nam pla?). They'll never know the joy of a red bus rover - 10p and ride Londons buses all day using a little piece of cardboard. Neither will go out of the door at 7.30am and come home before it is dark or else. Happy days.

It is a sad reflecton of society or parents concerns when they can't do things like that. Although in the UK, my nieces and nephews still do the stuff that my sister and I did although they are interested in PSP and gameboys and internet etc.

I remember building a billy cart (soap box racer) with any old scraps I could find then launching down an old gravel road then realising I hadn't put brakes on :o

And my Grandmothers outside toilet where you had to spray bug killer down the hole first in case of any Red Back Spiders where hiding down there.

The best ever post here in TV, thanks :o

Gerd

The best ever post on TV is one that has nothing whatsoever to do with Thailand? Please, if we're going to turn this forum into a 'young folk don't know their born' type bullshit, perhaps we should all just pack up and go home.

Mods . . do your jobs.

Gerd

The best ever post on TV is one that has nothing whatsoever to do with Thailand? Please, if we're going to turn this forum into a 'young folk don't know their born' type bullshit, perhaps we should all just pack up and go home.

Mods . . do your jobs.

hey bendix, seems like a popular thread thats goingon here and you want it stopped or someone to intervine in whats been said and could be?????

i thought the whole of thailand was trying to get out of that idea!!!

look at your post mate and think if you were enjoying a thread someone wrote that to ya!!

I do hope ya think!!

cha cha!

Before the mods do Bendix's bidding - can I have my say? :D

Good post, highdiver. Have seen one very similar before, but it still rings true. I was one of 2 sisters growing up in the 70's & 80's in the UK (born '69). As in the post, we played outside all the time, usually accompanied by our dog. We used to climb trees, explore & build "dens" in hedgerows (bits of old carpet & old unwanted furniture). My sister now has 2 girls who have never had the opportunity to do any of that. They're not allowed to "play out" at all, only visit friends' houses.

Not living in UK, I'm not sure whether my sister is being overprotective or whether she is right. All I know is, I find it indescribably sad that generations of kids will not have the memories of long summer-holiday days that I have. :o

Gerd

Mods . . do your jobs.

Commonalities among expats living in Thailand and how the world today and yesterday have changed. You are off track young one.

:D

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

The funniest thing I've ever read!!!! Gad I miss Monty Python!!

Commonalities among expats living in Thailand and how the world today and yesterday have changed. You are off track young one.

:o

That's an utterly facile argument. This discussion is best suited to bedlam or another webforum. Could i suggest www.ohlifeusedtobebetterthennow.com

Commonalities? Ok let's discuss commonalities. How about this one? All expats living in Thailand also have or had parents. If I started a thread saying - "my dad's name was Richard, what's yours?" - the principle would be the same. Would that be a useful Thaivisa thread. As humans we have a lot of commonalities.

The one commonality we share on Thaivisa is a connection to Thailand - hence the point about only Thai-related threads being acceptable. The purpose of Thaivisa is to provide a focal point for debate or information about Thailand, either visiting here or living here.

If the mods think this sort of dilution this is a useful addition, gawd help us.

I see now that this thread includes a post quoting, verbatim, a Monty Python sketch. You know a discussion is at its most assinine when that happens. The King of Cliches.

Never had hair lice. Heard the soap smells like tar. One kid in my 3rd-grade class had rimgworm. Does that count?

Was that a highlight of your pre adolescent years Jet? :o:D

Soundman.

No.

Highlight #1: won the city cup in ballet aged 11 (my tresses were ever so elegant)

#2 punched a chick while walking home with friends as she called me a name (can't remember); then she decked me (pretty easy to do, as I never weighed more than 66lbs until I got boobs many years later; then I weighed 67) and then I got whacked again when I told me Mom at the dinner table that I called this chick a c* (hey, I didn't knpw what it meant, did I?).

Oh, let's see. This relates to Thailand because I used to live in Thailand and my upbringing is relevant to how I reacted to dancing and boxing?

Yes, great thread.Going down memory lane can be fun.I too had a lot of fun as a kid.Even though I didn't have shit,I got by.Raiding the back landings of apartment building for empty bottles,to get a few coins, to go see a movie.Getting my butt kicked, or grounded for minor infractions.I really miss the green radio I found in the garbage,that I put on the cardboard box next to my bed.Playing outside was definitely a priority for me,seeing how, there was nothing inside for a kid to do.The streets of Chicago were quite entertaining for me,and yes,I had a lot of fun there.

My son,has a computer,Playstation,DVD player,2 TV's.He plays outside on weekends with his friends.During the week he's busy with school,and after school he does homework,and the plays with his electronic toys.I'm sure, He would be willing to throw all this right out the window, for my green radio,and cardboard box.He's 8 yrs.old, knows how to use all this stuff,many times,all at the same time.

He can switch from Thai to English in a heart beat and is starting to read both languages well too.He now plays football,a little everyday.He wants me to enroll him in a Thai Boxing class,and wants a basketball hoop set up by the garage.I just don't know when this pour kid's going to learn how to have fun.For more entertainment we look for cheats, for video games on the PC.I'm trying to teach him how to find and input keys on the Satellite receiver in order to watch encrypted signals.When he asks about my childhood,he can't believe,we didn't have this stuff,and getting a beating is alien as well.

Boy,I sure miss the good old days.

I would never admit to being so ancient, but some previous decades were a bit more mellow than today's pressure cooker world. I think the major change was the 1960's, at least in USA. For the most part, I would not want to replay my life, except for a few short periods.

Yes, could never have imagined that in the future, people would have home computers/Internet. When I was a child in the 60s, my mother insisted that by the time I was 18, cars would not have wheels but would run around on cushions of air. (Funny how hovercraft just came and went...)

I still reckon the fish and chips, where you ripped the end off the newspaper and dipped your hand in (invariably burning your fingers on the chips), tasted better than these so called 'chipperies' with their little cardboard boxes that only hold half a spud's worth.

To put a Thai slant on this thread, with the dietry difference taken into consideration most of the original post could be applied to the average Thai child a mere 20 years ago!

To Qwertz, Quote "sausages "!

Only if you had enough coupons in your ration book.

thanks to all those who find this thread heart warming.

the reson i posted this is that i found many of those memories do exist today in many of the thai children.

I can sume that in the big cities its more modern but here in Samui. i found out that many kids still do enjoy this life style and I can only be happy to see them playing all day out side.

there is many things that need to be improved in thailand, however I hope that they will neer loose that carefree childhood culture that we in the west have only memories of.

To put a Thai slant on this thread, with the dietry difference taken into consideration most of the original post could be applied to the average Thai child a mere 20 years ago!

To Qwertz, Quote "sausages "!

Only if you had enough coupons in your ration book.

Hey, Nibor, you've been there.

Proof I'm not telling porkies.

Spit and "sausages" came on the scene much later of course.

But sugar rationing was responsible for my generation still having teeth; my oldest brother is 72 and still has the full set.

The best ever post here in TV, thanks :D

Gerd

Mods . . do your jobs.

Party pooper :o

Wow. I miss Tiswas. Especially Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog.

hectors house,after crossroads ,what ever happened to benny :o

You were lucky!

I had to suffer Muffin the Mule, the Bumblies and Lambchop.

mind you, Rawhide and Route 66 weren't so bad.