Can I get 30 Visa on arrival if my flights return flight is booked longer period?

Does anyone know, if one can get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival if their flight return date is for 50+ days? 

Specifically my two kids are Thai citizens, we are flying out in June for 2 months approx. Their Thai passports have expired last year & we could not renew then due to Covid travel restrictions. They have Irish passports too, so I am wondering can they fly in as normal on Irish passport, get a 30 day visa on arrival? We will then get their Thai passports renewed asap. 
Or do I have to go get a tourist visa for them & all that rigmarole?

Or would an understanding immigration officer at the airport allow them to gain entry to Thailand on expired Thai passport? 

You will be getting a 30 day visa exempt entry not a 15 day visa on arrival after paying 2000 baht fee for it.

The airline you are using for the trip to here can ask to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days to board you flight. It can be a one way flight to anywhere. People have used a low cost flight to a nearby country. Also do a search for onward flight and you will find sites offering a temporary onward flight for around $12.

• Like 1

Your kids will be able to enter Thailand with expired passports. A Thai friend of mine has a sister doing exactly that after checking with the Embassy where she is living. You may need to do as Ubonjoe suggests to satisfy the airlines though as they might not accept the expired passports - I don't know for sure. Perhaps you should check with the airline.

There is no problem with immigration. You can enter and IOs won't ask for your departure date. But airlines may deny you entry unless you can convince them that you will get an extension and most cases airlines will let you in. Still it's 50/50 change. Seeing a child with you, the odd improves significantly. As a last resort you can book a temp ticket for $12. 

Thanks everyone.  The Thai Embassy in Londo which also caters to Ireland, first told me to apply for an Emergency Travel document for the kids expired passports, then they said that will take too long to apply for, and now Embassy are telling me to allow my kids to travel on Irish passports but I must apply for the 60 day tourist visa for them.  Damn headache.

I am wondering if the airline we are flying to Thailand with will check if  $14 online onward tickets to see if they are real or not? E.g. thinking of getting $14 online onward flight BKK to Kuala Lumpur return tickets so kids can go under 30 day on arrival visa exemption. 

Damn headache the whole thing. 

4 hours ago, TomMc said:

and now Embassy are telling me to allow my kids to travel on Irish passports but I must apply for the 60 day tourist visa for them.

Why not get the kids a 60 day tourist visa? 

You state.....

"thinking of getting $14 online onward flight BKK to Kuala Lumpur return tickets so kids can go under 30 day on arrival visa exemption"

The tickets will be accepted.

You could also try them traveling without onward flight and be prepared to step away from check in if rejected and buy two onward flights on the spot.

Obviously you would require internet. 

If challenged about onward flight have kids expired Thai pp.

They cannot be rejected entry to Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TomMc said:

Thanks everyone.  The Thai Embassy in Londo which also caters to Ireland, first told me to apply for an Emergency Travel document for the kids expired passports, then they said that will take too long to apply for, and now Embassy are telling me to allow my kids to travel on Irish passports but I must apply for the 60 day tourist visa for them.

Your children could travel and enter Thailand using their expired passports.

When checking in for the flight to here they would show both passports. And then enter as Thais using their expired passports. Then after arriving here they could apply for new passports.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your children could travel and enter Thailand using their expired passports.

When checking in for the flight to here they would show both passports. And then enter as Thais using their expired passports. Then after arriving here they could apply for new passports.

That is what the wife wants to do. I'm concerned some over officious airline employee might veto that. 

We are checking in here in Dublin our home country through to BKK Via Paris, so might be a better chance of a reasonable view point here.