Jump to content

Question about OA visa extension


Recommended Posts

Hello.

 

I am a bit confused about the time frame to apply for extension of OA visa 🙂

 

My OA visa expiry date is 07 September 2022.

Stay until stamp is 13 September 2022 (This date match with the end of the mandatory insurance) 

 

Can I apply for 1 year extension at any date (next week for example) ?

.... or the rule is that I have to apply only a few days before expiry date of the visa ?

 

In other words :

Can I apply for extension on 23 May 2022 ?

Can I apply for extension on 01 September 2022 ?

Can I apply for extension on 10 September 2022 ?

 

Thank you for the clarification !

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apply for your OA extension 3-4 weeks prior to your stay stamp. Have your new yearly health insurance start date same day or a few days before your immigration extension visit. Your extension stamp will be to the date of your health insurance expiry date.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most offices allow you to apply for an extension 30 days early.  I have read here that some allow it 45 days early but I have no experience with that.

It would be 30 days before your 13 Sep date, not the visa expiration date.

 

However with a multiple entry O-A visa you could leave and reenter Thailand before the 7th of September and get another 1 year permission to stay.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If your O-A visa expires on 07 September, 2022. you can get another year just by exiting and entering before 07 September. If I were you, I would make a trip to KL or Penang and enter again before 07 September to extend it for another year. Of course you need health insurance for the whole year. Buy a new health insurance from September 14, 2022 to September 13, 2023 then make a trip to Penang in late August and return before September 07, 2022 to get another full year. No need for extension. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you still have a valid Non-OA visa that is expiring you can leave and re-enter on or before the day it expires and get a new one year entry.

If you are on a extension of a permit to stay from a OA visa entry you can extend it up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

Are you aware the insurance requirements are increasing on September 1st. You will need $100,000 of insurance coverage that also covers covid 19. Info here: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Most offices allow you to apply for an extension 30 days early.  I have read here that some allow it 45 days early but I have no experience with that.

It would be 30 days before your 13 Sep date, not the visa expiration date.

 

However with a multiple entry O-A visa you could leave and reenter Thailand before the 7th of September and get another 1 year permission to stay.

I went to do my 90-day report at the BluPort Hua Hin office last month.  The kind IO reminded me that my visa extension expires in late June, and that I can extend the visa from mid May, ie 45 days before expirationn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you still have a valid Non-OA visa that is expiring you can leave and re-enter on or before the day it expires and get a new one year entry.

If you are on a extension of a permit to stay from a OA visa entry you can extend it up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

Are you aware the insurance requirements are increasing on September 1st. You will need $100,000 of insurance coverage that also covers covid 19. Info here: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

 

Thank you @ubonjoe 🙂🙏

 

Supposed I leave now and re-enter on or before the day OA visa expires, so I will get one more year.

Then, if I go at immigration on 1st december to apply fo extension :

What will be the new expiry date on the extension ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, zenplay said:

Supposed I leave now and re-enter on or before the day OA visa expires, so I will get one more year.

If you OA visa you will get a new one year entry. You will need insurance valid for that year or you would only be stamped into the century to the day your insurance expires.

 

28 minutes ago, zenplay said:

Then, if I go at immigration on 1st december to apply fo extension :

What will be the new expiry date on the extension ?

You will not need to apply for a extension if you get a new one year entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you OA visa you will get a new one year entry. You will need insurance valid for that year or you would only be stamped into the century to the day your insurance expires.

 

You will not need to apply for a extension if you get a new one year entry.

Thank you. But I plan to leave again around 10th december. That's why I need to apply for extension before I leave. What will be the new expiry date on the extension ? 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, zenplay said:

hank you. But I plan to leave again around 10th december. That's why I need to apply for extension before I leave. What will be the new expiry date on the extension ?

No need for a extension to be done.

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the one year entry from your OA visa valid when you enter the country. Single re-entry permit is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need for a extension to be done.

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the one year entry from your OA visa valid when you enter the country. Single re-entry permit is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

Thank you but I am still a bit confused.

 

To be clear with the date :

My expiry date for OA visa on passport : 07-Sept-2022

My last "stay until" stamp date on passport : 19-Jan-2023

 

1. IF I want to leave now and re-enter before 07-Sept-2022, I will get one more year and my "stay until" stamp will probably be changed to 06-Sept-2023.

2. IF I want to leave now and re-enter between 08-Sept-2022 and 19-Jan-2023, I need re-entry permit (even if OA visa expiry date is passed). In that case, my "stay until" stamp will remain 19-Jan-2023.

 

I am right ?

 

Note: Of course, all of this scenarios are available only if my mandatory insurance matches with the corresponding periods.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zenplay said:

1. IF I want to leave now and re-enter before 07-Sept-2022, I will get one more year and my "stay until" stamp will probably be changed to 06-Sept-2023.

2. IF I want to leave now and re-enter between 08-Sept-2022 and 19-Jan-2023, I need re-entry permit (even if OA visa expiry date is passed). In that case, my "stay until" stamp will remain 19-Jan-2023.

1. Yes 

2. Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you still have a valid Non-OA visa that is expiring you can leave and re-enter on or before the day it expires and get a new one year entry.

If you are on a extension of a permit to stay from a OA visa entry you can extend it up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

Are you aware the insurance requirements are increasing on September 1st. You will need $100,000 of insurance coverage that also covers covid 19. Info here: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

 

Where can I find more information about the new requirements for insurance coming into effect on 1st September 2022 ?

For OA visa extension, I would like to know if it will be possible to have an overseas insurance ? 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, zenplay said:

Where can I find more information about the new requirements for insurance coming into effect on 1st September 2022 ?

For OA visa extension, I would like to know if it will be possible to have an overseas insurance ? 🙂

Immigration has not announced anything about the new requirements on September 1st.

I have only found info on the TGIA site and it states local insurance. https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 3:39 PM, zenplay said:

To be clear with the date :

My expiry date for OA visa on passport : 07-Sept-2022

My last "stay until" stamp date on passport : 19-Jan-2023

yeah, but you also said:

Quote

My OA visa expiry date is 07 September 2022.

Stay until stamp is 13 September 2022

Not that it's important, but i'm trying to make sense of some of these dates....From above, sounds like you last entered Thailand on 20 Jan 2022, off of your still valid OA visa. Thus, all you need is a reentry permit to keep your current 'until 19  Jan' entry alive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand the new policy for the mandatory insurance is only for 1st application of visa (from 01-Oct-2021) and extension application (from 01-Sept-2022).

 

My expiry date for OA visa on passport : 07-Sept-2022.

 

If I re-enter Thailand between 01-Sept-2022 and 07-Sept-2022, I will get one more year, but Am I concerned with the mandatory insurance (as this is not a 1st application of visa, and not an extension) or the old policy is still OK in that case ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My expiry date for OA visa on passport : 07-Sept-2022.

 

If I re-enter Thailand between 01-Sept-2022 and 07-Sept-2022, I will get one more year, but Am I concerned with the new policy of mandatory insurance (as this is not a 1st application of visa, and not an extension) or the old policy is still OK in that case ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zenplay said:

My expiry date for OA visa on passport : 07-Sept-2022.

 

If I re-enter Thailand between 01-Sept-2022 and 07-Sept-2022, I will get one more year, but Am I concerned with the new policy of mandatory insurance (as this is not a 1st application of visa, and not an extension) or the old policy is still OK in that case ?

I would wager this is a question NO ONE (not even the highly illusionary posers 😮 errr posters on this group, myself included 😛 ) knows the answer too

The insurance coverage WILL increase (in fact some immigration offices are already telling people applying for an extension NOW that they need the 3.5 million baht policy, not the old 40/400 one)
AND
some embassies that are selling the OA visa already have implemented the 3.5 million baht policy as well.

If your OA visa (the sticker or the eVisa PDF) is expiring in Sept 2022, you'd need to renew or get a new year of insurance anyway so you'd get stamped in for another year.

Personally I'd just get the increased coverage, and then you're sure no matter which way the cards fall when you go to come back in on an existing OA.  

This is a policy offered by LMG which is the 3.5 million baht coverage but has 1 million baht deductible 😮 as you can see it's mostly a "tick the box" show the insurance policy seeing as you'd pay the first 33K USD of any claim. 

These two show the difference in premium when the insurance goes from 40/400 to 3.5 million

LMG 3 million.png

LMG.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

some embassies that are selling the OA visa already have implemented the 3.5 million baht policy as well.

The $100,000 insurance with covid 19 coverage has been mandatory for a Non-OA visa application at a embassy or  official consulate since October of last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

I would wager this is a question NO ONE (not even the highly illusionary posers 😮 errr posters on this group, myself included 😛 ) knows the answer too

The insurance coverage WILL increase (in fact some immigration offices are already telling people applying for an extension NOW that they need the 3.5 million baht policy, not the old 40/400 one)
AND
some embassies that are selling the OA visa already have implemented the 3.5 million baht policy as well.

If your OA visa (the sticker or the eVisa PDF) is expiring in Sept 2022, you'd need to renew or get a new year of insurance anyway so you'd get stamped in for another year.

Personally I'd just get the increased coverage, and then you're sure no matter which way the cards fall when you go to come back in on an existing OA.  

This is a policy offered by LMG which is the 3.5 million baht coverage but has 1 million baht deductible 😮 as you can see it's mostly a "tick the box" show the insurance policy seeing as you'd pay the first 33K USD of any claim. 

These two show the difference in premium when the insurance goes from 40/400 to 3.5 million

LMG 3 million.png

LMG.jpg

Thanks for the reply and informations.

I already have insurance that meet the new requirements, but it is from ACS which is not a thai insurance company. I cannot find any informations if an "overseas" insurance company is OK for OA visa extension 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, zenplay said:

I cannot find any informations if an "overseas" insurance company is OK for OA visa extension

Immigration requires you to have insurance form a Thai company when applying for a extension of your OA visa entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...