Should I give Thai address or address back home for a background check?

Hello everyone,

I just got hired by a Singaporean company for a remote job. They've got a third party company doing a background check on me and they want my current address. I'm more or less living in Thailand now, staying here on a tourist visa. Should I use my current address in Thailand or use my permanent address back in America? My concern is that since I can't legally work in Thailand that this will disqualify me for the job. Then again, I don't want to lie on the background check. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, if you are here on a tourist visa, then you are visiting Thailand, not sure why you say/think you are living in Thailand.

Because as he explained IS currently living in Thailand.

• Like 1

For starting a new job i would tell them your situation and ask where they'd like the back ground check done, it shows you're honest and good start to new employment.

I've lived here on marraige extensions for 20 years, if i need a police report for WP in other countries i still use my UK address, everything can be done online in a couple days rather than flaffing about here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, if you are here on a tourist visa, then you are visiting Thailand, not sure why you say/think you are living in Thailand.

He could of said he is temporarily living or residing here. He wrote this.

11 hours ago, Donoff said:

I'm more or less living in Thailand now

One of the definitions of a tourist is somebody staying away from their home for less that a year.

Some info here: https://www.unwto.org/glossary-tourism-terms

• Like 1

For a background check I would use the permanent address. 
But you  say you are here on a tourist visa.  You live in Thailand more or less. You do not have a work visa but trying to secure employment here.  
You say you don’t want to lie .But don’t want to be disqualified for the job.   But you admit you already know you cannot legally work in Thailand, but trying to work here anyway. But you still don’t want to lie? And that is probably why you really don’t want to use your overseas address. 
You should be more concerned  how deep this company is going to do the background check.  And if somehow they find out you are trying to secure employment illegally.  Or maybe you do get hired.  Be concerned that immigration won’t finally catch up with you. 

7 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

But you  say you are here on a tourist visa.  You live in Thailand more or less. You do not have a work visa but trying to secure employment here.  

He did not say he would be working here.

12 hours ago, Donoff said:

I just got hired by a Singaporean company for a remote job.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He did not say he would be working here.

Correct.  But he also gave me the impression he is concerned about working illegally in Thailand.  From some of the statements he made besides the address question. 

Edited by swm59nj
  • Confused 1