Proof of life documentation for aged pension

My 80th birthday is on the horizon, ie July and I believe that we receive documentation prior from Centrelink which has to be completed and returned to prove we are still alive .Has anyone had this chore to do and how long before your 80th birthday did it arrive ?

I know phoning Centrelink is an option but my last 2 calls resulted in misinformation and one letter they sent, on another subject, took 59 days to get here as it was posted ordinary mail during this Covid period when mail was seriously affected and probably still is.

Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

MyGov should contact you.Signed up? 

No, but they sent have letters and the regular newsletters to the my address which has been the same for 15 years. Just presumed they would send documentation to sign etc. Been told with some people that don't bother but obviously don't want any disruption to the monthly pension being in my account. Perhaps I should sign up ,never used it. Thanks for advice

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, Olmate said:

MyGov should contact you.Signed up? 

Agree, get signed up for MyGov, very easy to get it started. 

When you have to do the set up for password, ignore the electronic OPT password system, scroll further and you'll find another option; submit three simple personal questions and three simple answers (can be one word answers) All done online. Every time you signin their system will accept your basic password then online ask you one of the three questions. So simple and quick.

When you've set up Mygov, then add Centrelink, and/or Medicare, DVA, Tax and many more gov't agencies. Then click to receive correspondence online. It works. 

Re calling Centrelink from Thailand, do you know there's a toll free (free call) number from Thailand to Centrelink  + 61 3 6222 3455.

I've called them many times and found they mostly answer fairly quickly, the officers always clear and focused and very clear answers.

A couple of times the officer has politely said 'your enquiry is a bit outside of my knowledge, please hold the line and I'll talk to a supervisor to get an accurate answer', always come back quickly with a clear answer, I've always been satisfied with the result of the call. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1