Oysters, Mussels And Chardonnay

Both of those pics look great. After looking at those oysters made me get a sudden craving for great New Zealand oysters. Anybody know the best place in Bangkok for these? I know sometimes the 5 star hotels have special "oyster weekends."

You guys are killing me with those pics. Yeah, those Ozzie ones are delicsh too! Keep posting and maybe we can get somebody to tell us where to get those in Thailand instead of those yucky big soft Thai ones.

YES! Go to Witch's on Ruam Rudee. The best oysters ever.

Only place would know is the new Hilton. Might get it at Neil's Tavern http://www.neil.co.th/restaurant.html . Looks great.

:o:D

Yes, at The Prime in the Millennium Hilton. The oysters are excellent. This pix was taken at The Prime.

At Witch's on Ruam Rudee they offer two types of oysters from Australia.

Corkscrew, thanks for the photos. I have done the Hilton so now off to Witch's.

:D

Only place would know is the new Hilton. Might get it at Neil's Tavern http://www.neil.co.th/restaurant.html . Looks great.

:o:D

Yes, at The Prime in the Millennium Hilton. The oysters are excellent. This pix was taken at The Prime.

At Witch's on Ruam Rudee they offer two types of oysters from Australia.

Corkscrew, thanks for the photos. I have done the Hilton so now off to Witch's.

:D

You will not be disappointed with the oysters from Witch's. The place is small but it also has a nice bar.

I'm under the impression that most Australian oysters exported these days are from Port Lincoln in South Australia. They've made major inroads into the Sydney Rock oyster market due to pollution problems associated with most large coastal cities.

As a former South Australian I'm prepared to promote this until hard evidence proves me wrong.

Edited by sceadugenga

I'm prepared to stand by the theory that the colder the water, the better the seafood. I offer as proof the South Australian rock lobster, which we caught as "crayfish" as kids, compared with the multi coloured tropical crays sold as lobster here.

Agreed, Scea. Crustaceans from cold waters (for me that's Alaska for king crab and the Canadian Atlantic provinces for lobster) have a better taste and usually more meat. But some of the Thai shellfish can be good. But my sis bought a bag of the frozen Thai shrimp here to surprise me -- oh my god, they were tasteless, maybe from a shrimp farm and peeled and deveined. I'm trying to convince her to buy fresh from the Korean market and shuck and devein herself, but you know some farang in farangland -- too squeamish.

Those rock oysters look pretty dam fine. Could someone PLEASE send me a dozen?