UK visit visa - evidence the person you'll be staying with has permission to be in the UK

I know this is similar to an earlier question about the sponsor's immigration status but I think this is sufficiently different as to merit a separate post.

My wife and I plan on travelling to the UK this summer. As on all our previous visits (approx. 30 of them) we will be staying at my parents' house.

For the first time ever, after finishing her application, on the list of documentation that my wife is required to provide is "evidence of their [i.e. the person you are staying with] permission to be in the UK."

My parents (both born in the UK) are in their 90's and haven't travelled outside the UK in over 20 years so they don't have valid passports. 

Does anyone know if a copy of an expired passport would be acceptable (logically it should, since they haven't stopped being eligible to be in the UK just because their passports expired, but I've a feeling it mightn't) or would it have to be a birth certificate?

For instance, is their any other "evidence" anyone can think of?

Shouldn't be an issue.

Like everything just write a note saying they haven't renewed their passports as they haven't left the uk, so you've included latest passports. 

( I wouldn't mention they are harden Brexiteers and dislike foreigners ) ???? 

Seriously though, maybe add a copy of the council tax bill for the last couple of years?

Edited by Pmbkk

You write the ‘invitation letter’ from yourself stating you’ll be staying at your ‘family house’. 

Provide a copy of your passport.  

Given that your wife has such a solid travel history there won’t be an issue, it’s just a ‘post brexit box ticking exercise’. 

Edited by richard_smith237

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You write the ‘invitation letter’ from yourself stating you’ll be staying at your ‘family house’. 

Given that your wife has such a solid travel history there won’t be an issue, it’s just a ‘post brexit box ticking exercise’. 

Edited - reply based on a misunderstanding.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sorry, I see what you mean now. However it's a bit late - we've already filled out the form and paid the money and at this point you're not allowed to go back and change what you answered on the questions.

I think you can cancel an application and submit a new  one but if she/I did, and if they compared it to her previous application (or any of the ones prior to that) there would be an obvious mismatch in that she previously declared this to be my parents' home and had invitation letters from them and she would now be telling a different story. I think that might be a risky strategy to take.

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sorry, I see what you mean now. However it's a bit late - we've already filled out the form and paid the money and at this point you're not allowed to go back and change what you answered on the questions.

I think you can cancel an application and submit a new  one but if she/I did, and if they compared it to her previous application (or any of the ones prior to that) there would be an obvious mismatch in that she previously declared this to be my parents' home and had invitation letters from them and she would now be telling a different story. I think that might be a risky strategy to take.

I'm now confused then...   if you’ve submitted your application there is nothing more you can do. 

Give your Wife’s travel history, I still can’t imagine this being a potential reason for rejection after years of repeated visits.

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm now confused then...   if you’ve submitted your application there is nothing more you can do. 

Give your Wife’s travel history, I still can’t imagine this being a potential reason for rejection after years of repeated visits.

I agree - they're basically looking for verification that she'll return to Thailand. I think her history proves that.

When my wife did it the first time she just had the head of the hospital say she was a doctor and expected back on x date to restart work. Added deeds to the house. That proves she plans to return.

Your previous track record should suffice - even for Patel ( if not ask her how her Kinyarwanda(language of Rwanda)  is ) ????

Edited by Pmbkk

This is a big complex issue - hundred of people who have lived  in the UK for years - The Windrush Generation - are being told because they did  not complete  the correct  paper  work years ago they have have no right  if abode. It's one of the many political  scandals  rocking Broken Britain  at the moment.

6 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Shouldn't be an issue.

Like everything just write a note saying they haven't renewed their passports as they haven't left the uk, so you've included latest passports. 

( I wouldn't mention they are harden Brexiteers and dislike foreigners ) ???? 

Seriously though, maybe add a copy of the council tax bill for the last couple of years?

Council tax does NOT indicate right  of abode!

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not entirely correct.  You can continue to upload documents until the day before your appointment at the Visa Application Centre.  This is from the VFS website :

image.png.9db7af334826e725734ecbc00126ae4d.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony M said:

Not entirely correct.  You can continue to upload documents until the day before your appointment at the Visa Application Centre.  This is from the VFS website :

I'm not talking about uploading documents, I'm talking about the answers you put on the application form, which you have to finalise (and can't go back on unless you cancel the whole thing) before you even find out what documents they want you to provide (or upload).

This is quite clearly stated after you've finished the application, as follows:

Your application details cannot be changed. If you need to change any of your information, you will need to cancel your application and submit a new one. You can get a refund if you cancel before you have provided your biometrics.

This was exactly the problem - it wasn't until after the application was completed and couldn't be changed (short of cancellation) that this new requirement became apparent.

13 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I agree - they're basically looking for verification that she'll return to Thailand. I think her history proves that.

When my wife did it the first time she just had the head of the hospital say she was a doctor and expected back on x date to restart work. Added deeds to the house. That proves she plans to return.

Your previous track record should suffice - even for Patel ( if not ask her how her Kinyarwanda(language of Rwanda)  is ) ????

Oh, I absolutely agree that it really oughtn't to be an issue and her previous unblemished record of visits to the UK should suffice but the fact remains that it is now an absolute requirement that we provide such evidence. It's listed on the document checklist and one thing that is quite clear is that you must provide all the documents on the checklist and tick the box alongside to confirm that you are doing so.

If I rock up to VFS and hand in a document checklist with one box unchecked and try to say although it's plainly stated that it's required, I don't think it should be necessary, I'm pretty sure I know what the low-level employee, who you first hand the application to, and whose only job is to check that all the required documents are present, correct and accounted for, will say.

8 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not talking about uploading documents, I'm talking about the answers you put on the application form, which you have to finalise (and can't go back on unless you cancel the whole thing) before you even find out what documents they want you to provide (or upload).

This is quite clearly stated after you've finished the application, as follows:

This was exactly the problem - it wasn't until after the application was completed and couldn't be changed (short of cancellation) that this new requirement became apparent.

Excuse me for trying to help. I thought that you wanted to upload futher evidence, or an explanation about your parents lack of passports. You just need to upload a letter of explanation, and apologise , in that letter, for any mistake in the already submitted application form. I believe that you are over-thinking this whole thing.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Oh, I absolutely agree that it really oughtn't to be an issue and her previous unblemished record of visits to the UK should suffice but the fact remains that it is now an absolute requirement that we provide such evidence. It's listed on the document checklist and one thing that is quite clear is that you must provide all the documents on the checklist and tick the box alongside to confirm that you are doing so.

If I rock up to VFS and hand in a document checklist with one box unchecked and try to say although it's plainly stated that it's required, I don't think it should be necessary, I'm pretty sure I know what the low-level employee, who you first hand the application to, and whose only job is to check that all the required documents are present, correct and accounted for, will say.

I'll take the opportunity to correct you, if I may. You say :

.............the fact remains that it is now an absolute requirement that we provide such evidence. It's listed on the document checklist and one thing that is quite clear is that you must provide all the documents on the checklist and tick the box alongside to confirm that you are doing so.

That is incorrect. There is only one "absolute requirement" for a visit visa application, and that is the passport of the applicant.  Nothing else is mandatory.  The other documents on the checklist are documents that the UKVI would like you to provide, but it is entirely up to you whether you provide them or not. The UKVI cannot disadvantage the applicant, or refuse the application, if the suggested documents are not submitted. They might try, but legally they cannot do so.