Which health insurance ?

Na Fan

This is not so simple a question...

Insuring someone over 70 is a very risky proposition... Medical can get very expensive. Turn things around, would you want to be insuring another person over the age of 60 even? 

That said, it would be nice if the insurer performed their end of the bargain ethically. 

My guess would be that self insurance will require much more than people think. 

if you are asking this question it means you are in need of it and have some spare money for it.

Yes, as you I treat insurance as scam, but for the last 2 years I am in financial position to throw some money because I am slightly scared (and getting older).

I have started my first ever insurance at the beginning of covid. Slighly panicked and took 16mln cover for 57k. Regret it now, because I got back only 30k on chipped accidentally tooth (the same treatment would cost only some 10k in a street clinic, not at the somitivej hospital).

The next year I took the cheapest one from pacific cross and topped accident cover to 1mln for only 1350b and and outpatient for only 4000b.

Later they allowed me to upgrade to meet requirements for thailand pass. For that I have opted for 300k deductible which halved my contribution. To cover 300k deductible I got covid only policy for 4200b.

pacific cross offers up to 20% discount when not claiming. I think it's the only insurer offering that. I think they drop 5% per year for not claiming.

Do activate your policy just a day before your birthday.

On misterprakan you got comparison from 6 insurers, all clear in one place, interactive. They are pretty efficient with communication

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

if you are asking this question it means you are in need of it and have some spare money for it.

Yes, as you I treat insurance as scam, but for the last 2 years I am in financial position to throw some money because I am slightly scared (and getting older).

I have started my first ever insurance at the beginning of covid. Slighly panicked and took 16mln cover for 57k. Regret it now, because I got back only 30k on chipped accidentally tooth (the same treatment would cost only some 10k in a street clinic, not at the somitivej hospital).

The next year I took the cheapest one from pacific cross and topped accident cover to 1mln for only 1350b and and outpatient for only 4000b.

Later they allowed me to upgrade to meet requirements for thailand pass. For that I have opted for 300k deductible which halved my contribution. To cover 300k deductible I got covid only policy for 4200b.

pacific cross offers up to 20% discount when not claiming. I think it's the only insurer offering that. I think they drop 5% per year for not claiming.

Do activate your policy just a day before your birthday.

On misterprakan you got comparison from 6 insurers, all clear in one place, interactive. They are pretty efficient with communication

No, I do not have "spare money". But I have even less money to cover a serious illness or surgery for my children out my own pocket. We simply can't afford that.

So it's really not a matter of choice. It's a must IMHO. Which makes scammy policies and so even less desirable.

Thanks for the hint on Pacific  Cross, I'll look at them

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What about age limit? 

I've read - As long as enroll before 72, then one stays enrolled by paying annual fee without age cutoff.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

No, I do not have "spare money". But I have even less money to cover a serious illness or surgery for my children out my own pocket. We simply can't afford that.

So it's really not a matter of choice. It's a must IMHO. Which makes scammy policies and so even less desirable.

Thanks for the hint on Pacific  Cross, I'll look at them

as I suppose your kids are half-thai and have free medical.

If you want to splash, do one of the cheapest possible and top up accident to 1mln (I would think most operations for kids are from accident). Maybe also outpatient for an additional 100% (many say outpatient is waste of money, but maybe in case of kids it's a gain).

The government hospital won't refuse any emergency treatment to anybody at anytime and without any form of guarantee. Do get a bank loan with house, car as security or do monthly instalments.

Pre-covid the government was covering some 800mln for tourist (and also expat) runners, including those escaping from private hospitals. Foreigners were also doing runners from private hospitals after covid hospitalisation/hospitelisation, if their insurance refused to pay or only partially. Hospitals were hushed about those accidents because publicity would only encourage more foreigners to follow this way

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I've read - As long as enroll before 72, then one stays enrolled by paying annual fee without age cutoff.

Yeah we were told that when I had private health cover with different company until they decided to have a company policy change.

Edited by Kwasaki

Looks pacific cross allows joining them up to 75 for 124k/year. Policy is called "visa friendly". Most likely you will be able to carry with them further. 

But check with any agent or directly with them. 

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=73&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=348157

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Looks pacific cross allows joining them up to 75 for 124k/year. Policy is called "visa friendly". Most likely you will be able to carry with them further. 

But check with any agent or directly with them. 

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=73&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=348157

The Visa Friendly bit means they will cover you at least up to the minimum required ie $100,000 (Bht 3M)

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah we were told that when I had private health cover with different company until they decided to have a company policy change.

What country's laws was that insurance company under?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

They kinda do by making premiums unaffordable to the point you eventually cancel

Yeah I can't afford the premiums that companies want at 75 so I'm registered at my local govt hospital and my doc there checks up on me every 4 months so I'm happy with that and I  just take care with what I drink and eat and exercise.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First, look for insurance with a minimum benefit of 1M bath. Check if your chosen insurance plan has hospital treatment as "paid in full". This means that they will pay for surgery, anesthesia etc. in full up to the insurance limit. Then look at the prices of rooms and rooms in the ICU and how many nights they guarantee. 3000-4000 baths is the minimum for a good room. Then (most importantly) investigate how easily the insurer pays out claims.
I have inexpensive Aetna Opal 3 plan (750,000 bath max benefit). So far I had no claims, but I finished my insurance when I left for my country and they returned me unused premiums without any questions.

Cigna has a very similar Plan 4 (same premiums, room prices, 1M bath benefit)

Edited by stapoz