How much should I expect to pay for my daughter university? (medical)

My daughter is almost done with school and will move on to a university, she wants to join a Medical school in Bangkok (or perhaps another nearby area if good)

I tried looking their websites for pricing and the numbers there are too vague, does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost me per month/year? Hope they have a dorm on campus too because she'll be staying in Bangkok.

Doesn't need to be the best one, just something on the top 10.

53 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

I tried looking their websites for pricing and the numbers there are too vague, does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost me per month/year? Hope they have a dorm on campus too because she'll be staying in Bangkok.

I believe it's free if they agree to work for 3 years in a government appointed placing.

• Like 2

Chula's med school fees. Plus living expenses for BKK. 

Not sure if living on-campus is cheaper than off-campus. Friend of mine studied at AIT (Master of Engineering) and spent 20k THB monthly for rent and living expenses alone.

CUMEDi-Website-layout-Page3-5-2-768x146-0-01-768x147.jpg

Edited by mvdf
  • Thanks 1

When you say Medical, what are you referring to, Nursing, Doctor or what?  As they charge a different tuition price.  My kid attends the University in Chiang Mai and is going for a B of S, in Nursing. Already finished two years.  Tuition is 65,000 baht per semester (for foreigner). A Thai pays 35,000. Dorm shared room is around 5,000 baht. But since I live close to the University, my kid lives here, so food & rent is covered by me. So the only outlay is the tuition, plus books and uniforms.

36 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

When you say Medical, what are you referring to, Nursing, Doctor or what?  As they charge a different tuition price.  My kid attends the University in Chiang Mai and is going for a B of S, in Nursing. Already finished two years.  Tuition is 65,000 baht per semester (for foreigner). A Thai pays 35,000. Dorm shared room is around 5,000 baht. But since I live close to the University, my kid lives here, so food & rent is covered by me. So the only outlay is the tuition, plus books and uniforms.

Wow.

My son went to Maha Sarakham university and did a mechanical engineering degree and I only paid 15000 baht a semester.

47 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

If your child is a foreigner, what does a foreigner have to do to get a license to work in the medical field here?

Edited by zeekgarcia

6 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

If your child is a foreigner did they check to see what it will take for them to be able to get a liciense to work in the medical field here?

Yes and there is a high demand for foreigners that speak English and Thai. We checked with Bangkok Hospital. The only issue is, you would be paid just a little above what a Thai would be paid. The main requirement is to take the test and if you pass you would receive your license. 

22 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Yes and there is a high demand for foreigners that speak English and Thai. We checked with Bangkok Hospital. The only issue is, you would be paid just a little above what a Thai would be paid. The main requirement is to take the test and if you pass you would receive your license. 

If a nurse gets their license from the medical council of Thailand, you need to check with them, because I know a foreigner meaning a non Thai citizen that was going to enroll in a medical dr program here and was told by the medical council of Thailand that they could not graduate and then take their test to get a license to be a doctor but they would have to go to another country and get a medical license there and then come back to Thailand with the medical license from the foreign country and then the medical council of Thailand would allow them to take the test get a license to be a medical dr here.

Edited by zeekgarcia

44 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Wow.

My son went to Maha Sarakham university and did a mechanical engineering degree and I only paid 15000 baht a semester.

The medical schools are much more expensive, its that simple. Specialized teaching.

18 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

If a nurse gets their license from the medical council of Thailand, you need to check with them, because I know a foreigner meaning a non Thai citizen that was going to enroll in a medical dr program here and was told by the medical council of Thailand that they could not graduate and then take their test to get a license to be a doctor but they would have to go to another country and get a medical license there and then come back to Thailand with the medical license from the foreign country and then the medical council of Thailand would allow them to take the test get a license to be a medical dr here.

They told me this around two years ago. But if things have changed let me know and I will pass the word on.

Edited by zeekgarcia

21 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Maybe it is different for a Doctor. Here at the University , after you graduate, they assist the graduate on preparing to take the test and they aid in helping obtain a job with Bangkok Hospital. I know of two graduates (foreigner) that are now working at Bangkok Hospital. A Rep from Bangkok Hospital was here last month talking to some of us, about coming to work at one of their Hospitals in Thailand. Maybe they have something worked out with the Medical Council of Thailand. It is Thailand and not all of the rules pertain to everyone. 

9 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Wow.

12 hours ago, mvdf said:

Chula's med school fees. Plus living expenses for BKK. 

Not sure if living on-campus is cheaper than off-campus. Friend of mine studied at AIT (Master of Engineering) and spent 20k THB monthly for rent and living expenses alone.

CUMEDi-Website-layout-Page3-5-2-768x146-0-01-768x147.jpg

Ok I'm still a bit lost, so according to these 2 posts just for the university it could cost between 15k and 604k?? (daughter is Thai btw)

That's a HUGE difference.

Edited by FarangFB

5 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Ok I'm still a bit lost, so according to these 2 posts just for the university it could cost between 15k and 604k?? (daughter is Thai btw)

That's a HUGE difference.

My post showed the cost of studying medicine at Chula:

https://cu-medi.md.chula.ac.th/faqs/#E

The THB amounts represent the tuition and program fees only. The student is also expected to have additional money for living expenses.

4 hours ago, mvdf said:

My post showed the cost of studying medicine at Chula:

https://cu-medi.md.chula.ac.th/faqs/#E

The THB amounts represent the tuition and program fees only. The student is also expected to have additional money for living expenses.

Yes I understand, I was just perplexed at the discrepancy between this one and the other post stating 15k/semester.

Edited by FarangFB

On 5/31/2022 at 4:52 PM, Crazy Noobie said:

Maybe it is different for a Doctor. Here at the University , after you graduate, they assist the graduate on preparing to take the test and they aid in helping obtain a job with Bangkok Hospital. I know of two graduates (foreigner) that are now working at Bangkok Hospital. A Rep from Bangkok Hospital was here last month talking to some of us, about coming to work at one of their Hospitals in Thailand. Maybe they have something worked out with the Medical Council of Thailand. It is Thailand and not all of the rules pertain to everyone. 

Are these non thai citizen foreigners that you speak of asian or westerners?

Daughter's Thammasat Uni tuition was in the shy of 20k per semester range, for 4 yr degree.  Actually about the same, as her non govt High School tuition.  As most state, monthly living expense is what really has to be budgeted for.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Daughter's Thammasat Uni tuition was in the shy of 20k per semester range, for 4 yr degree.  Actually about the same, as her non govt High School tuition.  As most state, monthly living expense is what really has to be budgeted for.

That's good to read, what did she study? 

1 hour ago, FarangFB said:

That's good to read, what did she study? 

Marketing, thankfully, against my suggestion of tourism/hotel ???? hey, it was 5 yrs ago & 30 mill tourist a year ????

Worked out great, working for her 1st choice of employer (80% from home) that she wanted & interned at, along with starting her own online business.  Baht well spent.

Her only regret, she's not fluent in Chinese.  Top earner at company speak Chinese.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, FarangFB said:

Yes I understand, I was just perplexed at the discrepancy between this one and the other post stating 15k/semester.

The CU program is an international program conducted in English. Hence the high cost. Ohter medical degrees conducted in Thai Language will be much cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 1:18 AM, KhunLA said:

A

Uni dorm wise, all about the same, c r a p, and we checked out a few Uni's in Chiang Rai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen & Krung Thep.  She had her pick of Uni's, so was entirely up to her where to attend.

I'd plan a 30k a month non school / living expense budget.  Tuitions+ on top of that figure.

Good Luck

Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the dormitories?

7 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the dormitories?

Shared, small, dirty, unsanitary, toilets gross, and insufficient numbers for number of occupants.  Daughter was grossed out by a couple, and she's pretty tolerant.  Cheaper, but not much of a value, compared to sharing off campus, which is actually walking distance to campus at most Unis.

Very basic accommodations, most no cooking allowed.  Condo having or allowing everything one needs.  If not in condo, then on site, each floor, such as clothes washing machines, large frig, kitchenette.  Much better security and parking if owning a car.

For small amount of extra monthly cost, simply makes everyday living less hassle and more enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

It is not free but medical school is less than you would think as lots of students are put off by the need to spend time in the countryside to complete the studies. Every school is different, and it is very competitive, so you should worry more about your daughter's grades and wider school resume than than the cost.