Trump Policies Sent U.S. Tumbling in a Climate Ranking

onthedarkside

Screenshot_4.jpg.9d54801599f4d24bd1ebdac35ee5277a.jpg

The Environmental Performance Index, published every two years by researchers at Yale and Columbia, found only Denmark and Britain on sustainable paths to net-zero emissions by 2050

For four years under President Donald Trump, the United States all but stopped trying to combat climate change at the federal level. Trump is no longer in office, but his presidency left the country far behind in a race that was already difficult to win.

A new report from researchers at Yale and Columbia universities shows that the United States’ environmental performance has tumbled in relation to other countries — a reflection of the fact that, while the United States squandered nearly half a decade, many of its peers moved deliberately.

The United States ranked 43rd overall, with a score of 51.1 out of 100, compared with 24th place and a score of 69.3 in the 2020 edition. Its decline is largely attributable to the bottom falling out of its climate policy: On climate metrics, it plummeted to 101st place from 15th and trailed every wealthy Western democracy except Canada, which was 142nd.

(more)

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-policies-sent-u-tumbling-115459618.html

NYT.jpg.41be835721fe039adf943b0f6a809637.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't trust these "environmental index" things. More like they are politicized entities. Just look at the stock index ESG500 dropping Tesla(which almost single handedly got electric cars on the road and popular, something I am led to believe is important in saving the world) yet ExxonMobil a giant and dirty fossil fuel producer, refiner and seller of gasoline, is all rainbows and unicorn giggles for the environment. 

I suspect Trump would be laughing if he knew almost 2 years after his governing hiatus started that he would still be front and centre of every discussion in the USA, yet the guy who is supposed to be President never gets a mention. hmmmm

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I don't trust these "environmental index" things. More like they are politicized entities. Just look at the stock index ESG500 dropping Tesla(which almost single handedly got electric cars on the road and popular, something I am led to believe is important in saving the world) yet ExxonMobil a giant and dirty fossil fuel producer, refiner and seller of gasoline, is all rainbows and unicorn giggles for the environment. 

I suspect Trump would be laughing if he knew almost 2 years after his governing hiatus started that he would still be front and centre of every discussion in the USA, yet the guy who is supposed to be President never gets a mention. hmmmm

Well, the report covers the period from 2016 to 2019. Who was President then...?  hmmmm

And what are you getting at about Tesla and Exxon? What does the stock market have to do with Tesla's environmental credentials? And are you suggesting that Exxon is popular with environmentalists?

Trumps fault ... again.   NYT hit piece ... big surprise.

That 4 yr administration has destroyed the world.  Those career politicians of 20-30-40 yrs have nothing to do with anything.  They'll save us like they always have, and why everyone is happy now.

• Like 1